Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DAVID BACKTIARI----MORE DRAMA------IS IT REAL ????

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Is David retiring today???? Heard he is scheduling a Press Conference for this afternoon? Any locals with intel
    Why would he. His salary is locked in this season for anything other than him retiring I believe.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Bahktiari had his knee scoped last week, word is he'll need another operation to repair cartilage in his knee. That would be 5 operations on the same knee in 3 years. This keeps up and he'll be walking with a cane at age 40.

I haven't heard of a press conference, but I did hear MLF say that he was going to let DB speak for himself regarding all the reporter's questions. I think MLF is sick of being asked about Bakhtiari every day, but I also think he kind of brought some of it on himself with all the cloak-and-dagger nonsense.

As much as I think DB is a great LT, I'm skeptical of his availability now and in the future. Given his cap hit, it will be a Rubik's cube of maneuvering to keep him, and I suspect Gute and Co are ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Bahktiari had his knee scoped last week, word is he'll need another operation to repair cartilage in his knee. That would be 5 operations on the same knee in 3 years. This keeps up and he'll be walking with a cane at age 40.

I haven't heard of a press conference, but I did hear MLF say that he was going to let DB speak for himself regarding all the reporter's questions. I think MLF is sick of being asked about Bakhtiari every day, but I also think he kind of brought some of it on himself with all the cloak-and-dagger nonsense.

As much as I think DB is a great LT, I'm skeptical of his availability now and in the future. Given his cap hit, it will be a Rubik's cube of maneuvering to keep him, and I suspect Gute and Co are ready to move on.
    He will never play another snap with Green Bay.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Why would he. His salary is locked in this season for anything other than him retiring I believe.
    Yes, this is correct. If you are on the roster for the 1st game your contract for that year is guaranteed.

That is why some free agents don’t get signed to the roster until after week 1. Then the contract is paid out week by week. If you get cut, they don’t pay you.

This why guaranteed money and signing bonuses in contracts are so important. If you sign a contract with no guaranteed money, you don’t get paid for any year after you get cut.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Yes, this is correct. If you are on the roster for the 1st game your contract for that year is guaranteed.
    If you have four accrued seasons of experience. An accrued season is six games on active/inactive/injured reserve/PUP during that season.

Bahk clearly has that Vested Veteran status, but just wanted to clarify that it's not automatic for everyone.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

they also converted $15M of his salary to bonus this year, so he's been paid that already.

There is NO benefit to the cap if you cut him this year. The offseason is a different story, when he counts $40M against the cap but is due for about another $19M. They can get about $21M cap savings cutting him then.

Nobody is going to trade for him. Teams aren't going to give up a draft pick for a guy who is (at best) week-to-week the entire season, and he might not pass a physical anyway.

That about sums it up. He's very, very likely going to be cut this offseason. Would he come back to GB for a shot at a comeback on a minimum salary? It's hard to imagine Green Bay going in that direction. But you never know. For Bakh, it's about comfort level. Sure, he could sign a minimum contract elsewhere, but it'd be a whole new situation for him. The only place I can imagine him going would be this east coast team with a QB rehabbing from a major injury and wanting one more shot at a SB with a good friend by his side.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think Bakhtiari will retire. He needs to start thinking what life will be like at 40 if he keeps playing football on a wrecked knee. He'd be a fool to push it, and he doesn't strike me as a fool.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Bakhtiari will retire. He needs to start thinking what life will be like at 40 if he keeps playing football on a wrecked knee. He'd be a fool to push it, and he doesn't strike me as a fool.
    He's not a fool, no. But he may be thinking he still wants to play, and what better story than a comeback next year with his good buddy Rodgers in NY? One more shot at redemption and a Super Bowl.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    He's not a fool, no. But he may be thinking he still wants to play, and what better story than a comeback next year with his good buddy Rodgers in NY? One more shot at redemption and a Super Bowl.
    IDK, Metlife stadium is FieldTurf. He hates turf and it would be tough to play 10+ games on turf for him. If it did happen, I could see him sign there, play a game or two and hang it up. Or maybe he'd wait until midseason to sign with a team.
    Honestly, I think he's done. He's been a great LT for GB and I wish his knee was holding up this year, but sometimes the mind wants the body to do something it just can't. He's got plenty of money, maybe it's time.

With a young team in an evaluation season, there probably isn't a place for him long term on the roster anyway.

The one bit of hope I hold out if this is only a cartilage issue* is that a lot of older pro athletes are doing borderline-voodoo stuff to restore knee cushioning. HLA injections, platelet-rich plasma, growth hormone treatments all over the world at places that don't ask a lot of questions. I think about pro wrestlers The Undertaker and Rey Mysterio, who added five years or more onto their careers after being considered completely shot.

If he loves, loves football and decides that he's going to have chronic pain regardless and wants to play one more season for the love of the game (and ~$20 million in salary and roster bonus), he's got enough time to go to get the weirdness done and be back for 2024.

* Which is easy, because it's not my knee.

And if he wanted to play for someone else, we'd have that familiar Favre/Rodgers drama of "GB owns the rights to your contract, even if you retire," so we'd decide if it's worth keeping him for $20M or getting some draft/player comp for him.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    they also converted $15M of his salary to bonus this year, so he's been paid that already.

There is NO benefit to the cap if you cut him this year. The offseason is a different story, when he counts $40M against the cap but is due for about another $19M. They can get about $21M cap savings cutting him then.

Nobody is going to trade for him. Teams aren't going to give up a draft pick for a guy who is (at best) week-to-week the entire season, and he might not pass a physical anyway.
    Agree. Not sure if teams wouldn't make an offer in August or not, but he is done as a packer and we won't get anything for him at this point. He will be cut. I doubt he ever plays another snap. If he does, it won't be for us.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Agree. Not sure if teams wouldn't make an offer in August or not, but he is done as a packer and we won't get anything for him at this point. He will be cut. I doubt he ever plays another snap. If he does, it won't be for us.
    He’s done with football for sure.
    He’s 32 years old and just had his first child.
    He’s a California boy and can afford to go home.
    He’s a class act and will ride off into the sunset with his head held high.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    He’s done with football for sure.
    He’s 32 years old and just had his first child.
    He’s a California boy and can afford to go home.
    He’s a class act and will ride off into the sunset with his head held high.
    Ah, but he loves the game. He loves, loves, loves playing football.

I think he's going to try once more. Will it succeed? Who knows - probably not - but I think he's going to try.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Ah, but he loves the game. He loves, loves, loves playing football.

I think he's going to try once more. Will it succeed? Who knows - probably not - but I think he's going to try.
    Bakhtiari said today his plan is to play in 2024. Acknowledges he doesn't know if it will be with the Packers. It's not his ACL. It's a cartilage issue. He spent 35 minutes today talking to reporters. https://www.packers.com/video/david-...ing-his-season
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

He’s made about 90+ million dollars. I imagine he has at least 30 million in the bank.

The best he can hope for is a minimum contract with big incentives for all pro, pro bowl. Moderate incentives for playing time. More than likely he’d make 2 to 6 million a year for 3 years. If his knee ever works.

He’s been a great player. There’s a tiny chance he could be really good for 5 more years. Tackles have done that. He says he has a lot of cartilage. So there’s still a chance he could really play. For a while.

He’s going to try. We’ll see what happens.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Ken Ingalls on Twitter said Bakhs whole salary will be paid next year even if they cut him due to injury grievance. That’s assuming his knee is bad.

There is a real possibility he gets cut and counts 40M because of the knee.

Ken Ingalls is like 100% right on cap situations 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Ken Ingalls on Twitter said Bakhs whole salary will be paid next year even if they cut him due to injury grievance. That’s assuming his knee is bad.

There is a real possibility he gets cut and counts 40M because of the knee.
    If this is so, then of course it makes sense to just keep him. If in fact he can come back and play, you might as well have it be for the Packers. If it doesn't work out, well, apparently they've got to pay him any way.

KYPack