Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DAVID BACKTIARI----MORE DRAMA------IS IT REAL ????

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Ken Ingalls on Twitter said Bakhs whole salary will be paid next year even if they cut him due to injury grievance. That’s assuming his knee is bad.

There is a real possibility he gets cut and counts 40M because of the knee.
    We would have to pay him but there would be salary cap reduction.

Cash paid to player does not correlate to salary cap hit unless there was no signing bonus or guaranteed money in the contract.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If this is so, then of course it makes sense to just keep him. If in fact he can come back and play, you might as well have it be for the Packers. If it doesn't work out, well, apparently they've got to pay him any way.
    The Packers will cut him and if interested resign him. They could signed him for 10M in 2024 and have a lower cap hit than if he stayed on his current contract. They would have to pay out 10M more in cash but see a reduction in salary cap.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Bach’s current contract is 5 years $102M.

Cap hit per year
    20 - 16.2 M
    21 - 10.9 M
    22 - 13.8 M
    23 - 21.3 M
    24 - 40.6 M

This is what happens to contracts when you “cook” the cap. 21 and 22 look good but 24 is a complete dead weight.

-Tim Harmston

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Bach’s current contract is 5 years $102M.

Cap hit per year
    20 - 16.2 M
    21 - 10.9 M
    22 - 13.8 M
    23 - 21.3 M
    24 - 40.6 M

This is what happens to contracts when you “cook” the cap. 21 and 22 look good but 24 is a complete dead weight.
    Moral of the story: it ain’t ever wise to overpay a Yokozuna. See the contracts of Albert Haynesworth, Cletidus Clark and the Iranian Stallion (Bak) for examples.

(Aside: Where the fuck was Clark when the Pussies of Detroit were running the rock up and down the A and B gaps where Clark supposedly roam? Oh right, he was seen running to the bank to deposit his fat check.)

Bak ain’t counting $40 M against the Packers cap in 24. Either the Packers will cook the cap again and lower the number, or more likely, they’ll terminate the contract and eat up “only” 19M in “dead” cap, which has already been accounted for, so it ain’t a big deal. The Packers can always cook the cap further if they need that 19M so baldy to sign, say, Mike Evens.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 10-07-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Reading the Wiki page of The Yokozuna.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    We would have to pay him but there would be salary cap reduction.

Cash paid to player does not correlate to salary cap hit unless there was no signing bonus or guaranteed money in the contract.
    Eventually the cash correlates. I think Bak has a $19 base this year and the other 21 is kicked forward from previous years that was paid. Thus they can cut him, and save the base, but the money that is unaccounted for so far will count at that point.

If I understand it (and maybe I don't).

Player has bases of 5,5,7,9 Million but gets a 20 million bonus he will count 10,10,12,14. If you cut him after year 3 the 5 that is unaccounted for but has been paid will count anyway. In baks case he had a signing bonus, but then they guaranteed the base several of the years, thus turning it into bonus effectively. So each time they did, it carried forward and was spread out. Thats how you end up with $21 million counting against the cap that he won't be paid (He was already paid it previously).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Yeah bobble. But if he can’t pass a physical, they have to pay him his base. Just don’t know if that counts on the cap.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

TD is saying it doesn’t count on the cap, but my cap expert won’t weigh in and I haven’t seen enough of TDs cap expertise to know for sure if he’s 100

Yeah bobble. But if he can’t pass a physical, they have to pay him his base. Just don’t know if that counts on the cap.
    I don't think this is the case. The season he was injured in they would have had to pay the base. But if they waive him this off season he is shit out of luck, unless I'm wrong or it changed. NFL contracts are not locked in all the way thru under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't think this is the case. The season he was injured in they would have had to pay the base. But if they waive him this off season he is shit out of luck, unless I'm wrong or it changed. NFL contracts are not locked in all the way thru under any circumstances.
    Ken Ingalls on Twitter is pretty knowledgeable. He’s right about 100% of the time. He says Bakh can get big parts of his base through injury grievance if we cut him injured next year.

Injury grievance is only for the same season the injury occurs.

He can qualify for an Injury Protection Benefit for up to two years. It would pay out the guaranteed portion (not necessarily the same as the reported number due to complexity of the contract), but I think the cap hit is capped at less than $2M. The rest is not counted against the salary.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    He can qualify for an Injury Protection Benefit for up to two years. It would pay out the guaranteed portion (not necessarily the same as the reported number due to complexity of the contract), but I think the cap hit is capped at less than $2M. The rest is not counted against the salary.
    Thanks!!!

Ken Ingalls is presenting it differently at Twitter, but I’ve never seen a big injury cap situation so what you’re saying makes so much more sense to what is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Injury grievance is only for the same season the injury occurs.
    This

Thanks!!!

Ken Ingalls is presenting it differently at Twitter, but I’ve never seen a big injury cap situation so what you’re saying makes so much more sense to what is happening.
    I know it was awhile ago, but think Sterling Sharpe. He held out on the eve of camp for a big deal. Surprised everyone. Got his deal. Got hurt. They cut him and owed him nothing after that season.

From Ken Ingalls

If the Packers cut David Bakhtiari before he passes a physical, he

1⃣At a minimum qualifies for Injury Protection - $1.230M cap in 2024.

2⃣Can file an Injury Grievance for his 2024 salary of $21.5M - $8.6M (40%) hits 2024 immediately with the balance reconciled upon settlement.

There have been a few CBAs since Sterling Sharpe in the mid 90’s

I just read directly from the nflpa that a player can’t file an injury grievance for a previous years injury. He must first pass a physical and then get reinjured.

They went in to say he could file a non-injury grievance where he could collect a max of 2M

Ken Ingalls is completely off and none of his 1000s of followers have corrected him yet. Weird that this place had two guys dig it up instantly and then I finally got unlazy enough to dig it up a third time.

I don't think you can cut an injured player without an injury settlement.

From Ken Ingalls

If the Packers cut David Bakhtiari before he passes a physical, he

1⃣At a minimum qualifies for Injury Protection - $1.230M cap in 2024.

2⃣Can file an Injury Grievance for his 2024 salary of $21.5M - $8.6M (40%) hits 2024 immediately with the balance reconciled upon settlement.
    I read the CBA just now, but am not an expert. It is complicated. It might actually be limited to around $2M total compensation.

If in the 2021 League Year the player’s Paragraph 5 Salary equals $3,000,000 and player’s Injury Protection Benefit payment equals $2,000,000 (representing the maximum payment under Section 3(a) above), the first $1,200,000 would be charged to Team Salary, and the remaining $800,000 would be treated as a Player Benefit Cost, as indicated in the “2021” column of the above table.

Okay, looking close, the first $2M or so if guaranteed money gets treated as Injury Benefits, according to the breakdown I have above (it changes slightly from year to year).

The rest is probably just straight dead cap. I haven't found any exceptions to that. Teams and players are free to negotiate for settlements, but I think that's the starting point.

It's too complex for me to be certain.