Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Falcons

Falcons 446 yds offense
    Packers 224

The offense is a work in progress, but the defense clearly played well below their expectations today. Play like this week in and week out, and the offense doesn’t matter.
    Joe Barry strikes again.

I've been on the fence about MLF since the beginning of his tenure. Between his loyalty to worthless assistant coaches/coordinators, sometimes terrible in game decisions, and inability to get this team to play their best in big games, I'm becoming convinced that he's not the guy who can lead this team to a Super Bowl once they are ready to make a run. (How in the hell do you get a delay of game penalty on a 51 yd. field goal attempt? Did he think he had to send a play in to Carlson? That's Junior High football bullshit that shouldn't be happening at this level.) It seems like he puckers up when the pressure is on and the team falls right into that same mindset.

I expected a lot of ups and downs this season with such a young team and new QB, but there are way too many close games in the NFL to go full turtle and piss away 12 pt. leads in the 4th Qtr..

Not the end of the world, but it's still a disappointing loss in a game that they should have won even while being shorthanded.

Just watched the first three quarters. I only saw the horrible 4th in real time.

Kenny Clark looked good. Always stronger than whoever is in front of him.
    Van Ness and Musgrave flashed the kind of athleticism that can make a difference in the coming years
    Love looked ok early. He really folded down the stretch and didn’t respond well to the 4th quarter pressure
    Dillon is garbage. His only hope is to really work on his quickness and lose some weight. He’s a slug.
    I’m starting to believe Doubs is more of a possession guy. He did not look fast on that deep route. But he does look a little bigger this year
    Jayden Reed is a legit NFL athlete and I really liked his savvy and big guy mentality going after the ball in college. We might have three very nice complimentary pieces with Watson, Doubs and Reed. Plus Musgrave and/or Kraft have a chance
    Deguara is trash. He can barely block, kind of catch, but has no athleticism. Nope. He isn’t him.

I like the athleticism on defense. Quay, Campbell, Van Ness, Gary (as he rounds into shape), Wyatt, Savage….. I like the speed and size.

Newman was OK until the 4th quarter. He might actually be an average starter at this point in his career. His body actually looks NFL level for the first time so I’m sure the physical strength helps
    Rasheed makes it look easy (except when he blocked the wrong guy on a blitz.) Sheed is the tackle of the future.

We’re gonna lose some that we would have won with Rodgers. There’s still hope love is the guy. He hasn’t shown enough one way or the other to know for sure. The folding down the stretch is understandable with lack of experience and lack of weapons on offense, and injured line.

It’ll be interesting to see Love and Lafleur evolve through the season. 12 is gone. It’s all rookies paired with Watson and Doubs second years. I don’t think they’re going to be able to come up with any mind blowing innovative shit with all the young guys. But damn, I hope Love shows he’s the guy because the continuity going into next year is going to be something to get excited about if Love is the guy.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    DL looked good???

You know they’re going to run almost every play and you give up 200+ yards.
    The defense was bad.
    The secondary played soft and gave up easy completions.
    This was a bad offense that moved up and down the field.
    Yes, I thought the DL looked good.

I think the defensive scheme is horrible. I thought Clark, Wyatt played well. I think we went too much to 2 big DL. I think we should have stayed in base personal 3 DL, with 4 LBs. Make them throw to beat us. Instead we played a lot of nickel. ATL ran all day when we were in that personnel.

The 1 series I remember ATL going 3 and out they tried throwing on all 3 plays. Otherwise we couldn’t stop them.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Joe Barry needs to stop thinking he is so much smarter than the other guy. Stop the run, first and foremost. When he get them in 3rd and long mix it up. Bring pressure. Drop Preston or Gary into a short zone and let the CB or LB blitz.

Jim Leonard was great at WI. You knew he was going to rush 4 but you never knew which 4 it was going to be. Then he would bring pressure on 3rd and long and make the QB get rid of the ball right away and trusted his D to make the tackle.

It seems like Barry thinks he can scheme coverage to get an incompletion. That doesn’t work at this level. Give a QB enough time and let him get comfortable and you are going to get crushed.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

I'll throw out my one angry negative vibe and then let it go. We didn't fire Barry when there were 3 really good options out there. After this year they will fire him but there won't be any good options. We will replace him with some other retread and suck for 3 more years on D. OK I'm done.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

All Packers points were scored by rookies today.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'll throw out my one angry negative vibe and then let it go. We didn't fire Barry when there were 3 really good options out there. After this year they will fire him but there won't be any good options. We will replace him with some other retread and suck for 3 more years on D. OK I'm done.
    Why don't you think there will be good options? I'm sure there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i expect this kind of performance from a young offense

i do not expect to see the same shit on defense that we have seen for years now with the same guys, unacceptable
    About this.

Joe Barely - I'm sorry, this guy has a roster filled with first-round picks, and he can't devise a scheme to stop the run? Why didn't he play a single-high safety once he saw the strategy that the Falcons were using? ("Hey, we can run it down their throats!")

Also, Rashan Gary is horrible setting an edge. Dude gets sucked inside all the time. All the time.

Lots of key mistakes on a defense that has enough veterans to know better - Jaire dropping the pick, and Savage - a big moment - being in position for either a pass breakup or an interception, yet the receiver makes the catch, and from there it was just Atlanta milking the clock down to get to the field goal. Savage just can't ever quite get there.

And AJ Dillon has become the very definition of a JAG. As my father used to say about the 1070's Lions' high draft pick, Steve Owens - three yards and a cloud of dust.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Love Dillon the person and how he has fit in the community, especially as Mayor of Door County. He's left something to be desired over much of the last 20 games however, and while I think MLF misuses him at times he also has underperformed. Unless he really turns it around fast, I don't see them renewing his contract. I think he could still be a monster in a power/gap scheme that has him moving N/S, not laterally. Also, he needs to get a little better reading the OL and finding the right running lane... not that it's always easy to do.

Offense running out of gas really hurt this team. If they even score a FG in 4Q then ATL has less time and more pressure on them to get a winning score. I don't think Ridder is a great passer and everything I saw he got looked gimmicky or cheap/easy. I thought Bijon Robinson was good before, and after that game I think he is the real deal and at this too-early moment the leader in the clubhouse for OROY.

Both Allgiers (sp) and Bijon as 220lbs, and that will wear down a defense. I'm not clear how much of the run defense's failings were on the coaches and how much was on the players. Seemed like it was missed tackles or not getting off blocks more than bad play call, but I'm not a fan of Barry. Would think you would expect ATL to run the ball 40 times and bring Ford off the PS and practice for a lot of run D. As mentioned I'm not a big fan of Ridder but he was able to scramble enough with his legs to hurt the D in the 4Q.

OL was an issue for the Packers - no Bakh, and then no Elgton hurt. I think they win this game if Aaron Jones and/or Christian Watson plays, but credit the Falcons for making some gutsy 4th down calls and executing.

I'm disappointed - this was a game they could have won, and probably should have, given a 12 point lead entering 4Q. I'm not completely surprised or overly upset because this is a "seasonlng" year for a team full of young players who have to learn how to win and be more consistent. This is a team who is going to win games they shouldn't and lose a few games they shouldn't.

Two positive things: the rookies continue to look pretty good, and Jordan Love took care of the ball. I think he usually made the right read but missed a few and that might have cost them a score, but I don't think last year's version of Rodgers would have done better with this team.

Our DL played a 5 man rotation on Sunday.
    In 218 combined snaps, they had a grand total of 2 solo tackles.

78 plays, 36 minutes of possession for ATL. Lots of long drives. Those big DL tire out. Getting a couple of first downs in the 4Q would have helped them.
    Agree they -- and the defense overall -- didn't play well. Atlanta was a top 5 running team (by both basic and advanced stats) last year, and they got even better by adding Bijon. Given GB's problems stopping the run, I'm disappointed but not surprised by the result.

I do feel like this is a game they let slip through their hands, but it wasn't an "Amari fumbling a FG right to the Washington Commanders" type of incompetence loss. If it puts another nail into the Joe Barry tenure, that's fine by me. (I don't see them renewing his contract.)

MLF sounds pissed off here.
    Mistakes, not playing complementary football, losing a 12 point lead... tone of voice is spicy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0MTiIfihcg&t=27s

I always get depressed when the Packers lose and don't post much, football stuff anyway, for a couple days.

The Packers D was back to the same old shit of the past couple years, not being able to stop the run. Other teams with a LOT less talent play a LOT better, and some with arguably not much more overall talent on D than the Packers play downright super (Niners and Cowboys). Why is Barry's D so pathetic against the run? Who knows. All of that notwithstanding, we woulda won if not for the interception drops and a couple other freak plays.

Not having Aaron Jones was huge, more because of the negative way Dillon plays than the positive things Jones does. I really think we shoulda used Wilson and Taylor a LOT more and Dillon a LOT less. Would Watson have made a difference? It's hard to say. Doubs was good; Reed was very good; And Wicks played way better than in the preseason. I still think Watson is gonna be a superstar, though, so it couldn't hurt to have him.

And then there's Bakhtiari hahahaha. I have stayed out of that discussion this week, because others are criticizing him already. I am famously on record as saying not having the sacred cow playing doesn't make much difference. That, however, implies his replacement doesn't completely shit the bed Marshall House style. Walker sort did. I'm wondering why they didn't play Yosh there, as he was borderline decent (IMO about as good as Bakhtiari) last year. Jenkins (who I see as a LOT better than Bakhtiari) got hurt, and Newman played just ok, to the point where things were not significantly worse without Jenkins. The bottom line to me - which I'm sure the haters are gonna go ballistic about hahahaha - is that the O Line just doesn't make that much difference if it is let's say average or minimally decent.

That leads to the question, though, HOW did Atlanta make our D Line look so pathetic? Were they a super O Line? Or was our D Line really that bad? Or is it all somehow on Joe Barry? I guess we'll see when we play other teams.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Gonna be that kind of year. A team this young is going to lose some close ones. And win some. And people who think Packers lost to a terrible team are wrong. Falcons might win that division.

We lost to a ONE dimension team. And come on man; Notlanta is not a division winner quality team.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Jordan Love, overall looks really good; He makes good decisions as well.

AJ Dillon.....DAMMIT...great guy....but he's the guy who failed to get a yard when there was a hole for him to run in and pick up the 1st....and who was the guy who stumbiled and causes Elgon Jenkins injury....yup...............

AJ Dillon looks like a bad 2nd round draft pick; the quality of his play is why GB considers Jonathan Taylor, for the right price.

No where was I suggestion we give up Bad Hamstring Watson for JT. But let's say we can package, AJ Dillon, Toure, and a 4th. I do that deal and roll with JT and AJO at a discounted price next year.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Why don't you think there will be good options? I'm sure there will be.
    Guys like Fangio....proven coordinators that have had great success all over the league are rarely available. Leonhard I may be over valuing given his roots, but he is a guy who has had great success as a player and college coordinator. He was known as a coach on the field in his playing days. Evero hasn't stood the test of time, but he did some special things in Denver on a team that put the D on the field over and over again.

I guess if Bowles or Rivera gets fired we could get an almost Fangio. Otherwise it will be trying to project a young guy from a successful system, and thats an imperfect science.

Check out what Evero's D is doing to the Saints right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Check out what Evero's D is doing to the Saints right now.
    Do we have to?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen