I think he gets better as the season goes on, maybe that's schedule helping. It's almost like it takes him half the season to remember how to call a defense. I saw someone post a theory that he's just good at copying from others, and it takes about that long into a season for him to see what is working around the league and copy/apply it to GB's defense. Not sure that's 100% off base.

The 2 DL thing is pretty maddening. Who cares if they aren't throwing it down the field if they can run it for 6-7 yards a clip every time (a la PIT)? You can still cover 75 yards in 11-12 plays and score that way. If I was an opposing team I'd call mostly runs inside the RZ, maybe include something that is a zone buster or will confuse the backup safeties/corners.
Agree they should use 3DL early, even if they are in nickel (I guess that would be a 'penny' front - 3DL, 2 OLB, 1 ILB, 5DBs). When you have 2 DL and the offense is running at you, who cares if you have two ILBs? Their angles to the ball carrier are shot to hell because the DL are getting pushed into them. Quay ends up with 17 tackles 5 yards downfield. (See also: AJ Hawk, Blake Martinez, etc.) At least with 3DL you can hold up at LOS a little better. Thing is, it puts a lot of pressure on the ILB to cover a lot of ground, but Quay is supposed to be rangy.

IDK, I just think there are holes in what/how Barry calls things. He's not a tire fire, but I'm not a fan. I will say they are playing what MLF calls "complimentary football" which matters. The D was supposed to help keep the team in games, and early they weren't great but overall they've largely done that. Most of their losses have been close. If he started out the year on fire and kept it going maybe I'd feel differently.