This offseason Gute made a point of saying expectations were high for the defense this year, given the talent and draft investments made there the last X years. In fact, he said it several times.
I think that's more than fair for him to expect. I also think it publicly put Barry on notice that his job is very much on the line.

Firing your DC every other year is a bad look and will scare away prospective coaches, so I can see having some patience. Firing him now would be a weird look also - they've allowed 45 points over 2 games. They'd have to pay out the rest of his year AND find a replacement. Good luck with that. Nobody is going to be able to come in and institute a new scheme mid-season.

Barry wasn't a good hire to begin with (imo) and I don't think many outside the building were that surprised that the team has largely underperformed.
They'll let his contract lapse, bring in someone better (presumably can't do much worse) and hope they can get more out of the talent than Barry has.

I don't root against Barry or wish him ill. I just think he was a bad hire and I haven't seen enough to convince me otherwise.

As for drafting, based on the way the team has played I think top 10 pick would be a mild disappointment. I think they'll be picking between 10 and 18. (That would imply having between 7 and 9 wins.)