Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Dead or alive. Who cares?

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    he's just junk; but he's Matt's Friend so he still has a job
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Yeah, for one week, there seemed to be hope that he and the Packers D had taken it up a notch, but today it was the same old shit.

I watched the Cowboys game, and good as they are, I really don't think they have significantly if any better overall D talent than the Packers. The massive difference is in the scheme.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I want that dude gone. A twelve point lead going into the fourth quarter, and you don't adjust anything to try to stop the run that was clearly gashing them over and over. Could he at least teach Rashan Gary not to bite so often on all those inside fakes?

Please ditch this guy. Supposedly him sitting upstairs was allowing him to see what was happening and diagnose things more quickly. So what did ya see in the fourth quarter, Joe? Your defense getting gashed again and again by Robinson, yes? Yet you kept those two safeties out there instead of going one-high and making Ridder beat you.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Was it the play calling or the execution? I have to go back and watch again, but I knew going in ATL was a very good running team.
    Missed tackles are still a thing, and there were questions about the run defense (at least I had some) coming into the season.

One thing I was curious about: isn't big Johnathon Ford on the PS? Why wouldn't you elevate him against a running team? (Unless he's also bad vs. the run)

Honestly, I thought the fact that GB's offense crapped out did more harm. Another FG would probably have been enough.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Was it the play calling or the execution? I have to go back and watch again, but I knew going in ATL was a very good running team.
    Missed tackles are still a thing, and there were questions about the run defense (at least I had some) coming into the season.

One thing I was curious about: isn't big Johnathon Ford on the PS? Why wouldn't you elevate him against a running team? (Unless he's also bad vs. the run)

Honestly, I thought the fact that GB's offense crapped out did more harm. Another FG would probably have been enough.
    I think a lot of people are wondering why Ford wasn't elevated. If he's bad vs. he run, he shouldn't even be on the PS because he's sure not a pass rusher.

Barry has never led an elite defensive unit at any point in the NFL. That would tend to tell me he never will. The talent is available on this roster to achieve it. Go get someone who can.

As much as I hate Jim Schwartz, he would turn this into a top five defense overnight.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Schwartz is the DC of the Browns.
    Even if he were canned by CLE, he might not get an interview with a team like GB after his shenanigans as the DET HC back in the day.

Agree Barry has never done it, which isn't a great predictor that he ever will. He's had a few years with GB now, with a good amount of talent, and has been middling at best. IIRC this is the last year of his contract, so I think they'll give him the Pettine treatment - not renew the contract as opposed to firing him. Someone will likely shake loose at end of year who is a better candidate to take over. I hope.

One thing that would need to be a consideration is not making such a big change that your players don't fit the new scheme. There are probably some Staley/Fangio acolytes that could do as well as Barry who will be available.

Gary, VanNess, Clark and Slaton fit in any scheme.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Even if he were canned by CLE, he might not get an interview with a team like GB after his shenanigans as the DET HC back in the day.

Agree Barry has never done it, which isn't a great predictor that he ever will. He's had a few years with GB now, with a good amount of talent, and has been middling at best. IIRC this is the last year of his contract, so I think they'll give him the Pettine treatment - not renew the contract as opposed to firing him. Someone will likely shake loose at end of year who is a better candidate to take over. I hope.

One thing that would need to be a consideration is not making such a big change that your players don't fit the new scheme. There are probably some Staley/Fangio acolytes that could do as well as Barry who will be available.
    Maybe Staley himself if Chargers keep struggling.

Blog Entries
    we have some stellar options at DC last year but kept the clown. Disappointing
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I've had the hole in the Vegas desert for decades. I'm just waiting for the body to put in it. I mean, 8 miles from the city limits they don't dare start looking for bodies....it would create way too much work.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Speaking of assholes who are good coordinators, what is Greg Williams up to now days?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Speaking of assholes who are good coordinators, what is Greg Williams up to now days?
    The guy you're talking about, Gregg Williams, is the DC of the DC Defenders of the XFL. Greg Williams is the Packers current Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.

Is he Forest's illegitimate son? hahahahaha

I wouldn't mind bringing him in.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

They won't do anything with Barry unless the defense goes completely in the dumper, which I doubt happens. They have a soft-ish schedule. This is the last year of Barry's contract, they'll let him go and move in a different direction then ( i.e., "Pettine him")
    I don't think Gute is impressed with what Barry has done with the defense so far, and MLF is a bit irritated with their underperforming as well. They aren't going to can him mid-season unless it's bad though. It's not the way they operate.

Also, no to Gregg Williams. That dude's time has come and gone, and I suspect there are still a lot of people who remember him from BountyGate and would rather not see him back in the league. There will be better hiring options available at end of season

Lead...on the road....against a rookie QB and he blows the lead. FIRE THE GUY ALREADY!
    C.H.U.D.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Lead...on the road....against a rookie QB and he blows the lead. FIRE THE GUY ALREADY!
    In defense of Barry, Riddler is actually a sophomore.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The guy you're talking about, Gregg Williams, is the DC of the DC Defenders of the XFL. Greg Williams is the Packers current Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.
    Ha....didn't even know we had a Greg Williams already. Now I really want to hire the asshole just to confuse everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Worse, he blew the lead by not even forcing the rookie QB to pass the ball. But he is actually 2nd year, not rookie.