Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Barry and his merry band of secondary misfits were a top 10 defense in points allowed this year. If anything he’s over performed with what he had to work with.
    You have to factor in that GB's offense plays at a glacial pace, so there are less possessions. Look at the latest CHI game - they had SIX possessions the whole game. You can't score if you don't have the ball.

Go back and watch the NYG or TB games.

Also - Savage and Owens are NOT good, unless by good you mean good backups or good ST players. Savage is a really fast missile who misses tackles and occasionally takes bad angles. Owens is a better tackler but is slow and not very instinctive. The Texans didn't want him back, if that tells you anything. The secondary is duct taped together, that's trye, but it hasn't mattered lately since the pass rush has gotten pressure on some lower-tier QBs like Hall/Mullens and Justin Fields. Barry still plays those guys way off. They've looked good because they haven't been tested.

This team has given up more 200+ yard rushing games than anyone else in the league this year.

They are younger on the DL, but I'd say they are better. They still have plenty of veteran talent on the defensive side of the ball, it's not like they are all rookies like the receivers.

Their schedule has been very soft this year and even then they faced QBs like Baker, DeVito, Rypien, Hall/Mullens, Bryce Young, Garropolo, Russell Wilson, etc. Not a murderer's row.

I don't think Barry was a good hire at DC, but that aside I haven't seen much to recommend they keep him after 3 seasons either. If this team is serious about being a SB contender in/by 2025 they have to move on and find a better DC. Rodgers and Favre didn't win SBs without a good defense, Love won't either.

If Fat Mike is smart he'll borrow a page from the TB game and spread out the GB defense 5-wide, motion CeeDee into the slot, and end up with Preston Smith or Quay trying to cover him.

What I mean by savage and Owens being good, runPMC is that they’re kinda bad, but that’s really good compared to some of the guys Barry has had to put on the field. What I’m trying to say is he’s had to cover up horrendous secondary play, especially safety play and he did a good job.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Well?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Well?
    Fire him...unless they do it in SF also.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

It’s a kick in the dick to have Enagbare out. He’s not a great player, but he gave Gary a rest and he’s always feisty and active over there.

We do have three guys who can play now. Gary, Preston and LVN. If you play Gary and Preston 72.5%, LVN can pick up the last 55%. It’s workable.

And we have 4 interior guys who can play with Clark, Slaton, Wyatt and Brooks. You can go a little bigger too and eat up some of those snaps 55 was taking.

I don’t think the injury hurts us much with us having 3 playable edges and 4 interior guys. I wouldn’t want to lose another though. I’m hoping for a special run!

If he's seriously hurt, they're gonna need to sign somebody if they don't have a 5th OLB on the roster.

He is seriously hurt. But LVN had 4 sacks in the last 7 games. I believe it’s the most on our team in that span. Maybe Preston. He’s been coming on. But LVN is starting to make a difference.

You can get by rotating those 3 and using Brooks and Wyatt a little more too.

We might sign someone, but I don’t think they’re going to be playing new guys. They’re just going to ride the guys they have a little more.

Last 7 weeks

Preston 4 sacks
    LVN 4 sacks
    Clark 3.5 sacks
    Gary 3.5 sacks

LVN is coming on.

Last 7 weeks

Preston 4 sacks
    LVN 4 sacks
    Clark 3.5 sacks
    Gary 3.5 sacks

LVN is coming on.
    I've been mostly unimpressed with LVN, but might have to rethink that. He is active, I'll give him that.

we had a 32 point lead with 10:30 left in the game, and none of us thought the lead was safe

what the hell does that say about joe barry?

He seems to make plays in garbage time mostly. That's the only time he gets in. Great moments are born out of great opportunity, so let's see what the kids got. Still need to sign somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    If he's seriously hurt, they're gonna need to sign somebody if they don't have a 5th OLB on the roster.
    Brenton Cox is on the roster.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    we had a 32 point lead with 10:30 left in the game, and none of us thought the lead was safe

What does that say about the defense would be the more appropriate question.

LVN, I don’t know if it was his sack or a near sack…. I saw him flash a couple times this evening.

But he got an edge on an all pro LT, got low and bent the corner in a way that Rashan Gary has never done is his career. LVN has a chance to be special. He’s young. 275lb guys usually don’t become stars in their rookie year. There is a big learning curve with the technique it takes to beat polished and physically matured offensive tackles in the NFL. Speed guys can sometimes win right away, but the bigger guys, it takes a minute.

But he flashes special. I think he’s better than Rashan Gary. Maybe not this minute, but he shows more upside. Rashan is a big, fast, powerful guy, but he spazzes around out of control and he’s just so strong sometimes it works. LVN is a similar level athlete, is bendier around the edge and looks more natural and coordinated as an athlete. LVN is him. He’s the guy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

that he's back in 2024
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

What happened to Enagbare? I must’ve been busy celebrating. What happened?

My fondest wish is that when the season is over, Joe Barely announces that he’s retiring.

The defense played well - or the Cowboys’ offense was sleepwalking. That was one of the most dazed-looking teams I’ve ever seen.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

What does that say about the defense would be the more appropriate question.
    If you're trolling to start an honest conversation about whether or not the defense or its individual players execute (i.e. play) well, sure I see your point and what you're doing.
    If you're being serious and suggesting that Barry is a good DC and the players have let him down all season...no, I don't see that.

I think there have been almost as many times that the players haven't executed as there have been failings of the DC. The question of "bad DC or bad players" is BOTH.
    Getting a good DC eliminates one problem and if you're lucky at least helps to coach up or elevate the ok players to good and the bad players to ok.

It's not hard to come up with criticisms of Barry's scheme and calls, I'll put it that way.
    His defense put enough of a scare in MLF that he put his starters back in vs. DAL. Not a ringing endorsement.
    Last edited by run pMc; 01-15-2024 at 10:48 AM.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cowboys struggled just to nickel and dime their way to some minimal yards. The bend but don’t break worked until they put it in neutral at the end. Up until then I have no complaints. They let Dak try to win it and he couldn’t.

Did Barry save his job with the Cowboys buchwacking ?

I'd say yes, because LaFleur is looking for cover - for away to save Barry without too much criticism.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?