Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

I sure hope not. Even up 27-7 at halftime I felt like the lead wasn't safe.

Two things give me hope:
    (1) GB played a lot softer in the 2nd half, but they still gave up over 500 yards of offense.
    (2) MLF got spooked enough when DAL got to 32 that he put the starters back in

If Barry can continue this, sure...ok, keep him another year.

I still don't think he's an above average DC. If he was, he'd be getting interest from other teams.

If Barry can continue what?

Having the defense play well for three quarters and then going soft, like Carolina?

That’s like saying if a man can get it up for 20 minutes and be hard, that him getting soft at the key moment when she’s getting ready to cum means he’s still great in the sack.

Ask your wife/girlfriend what she thinks about that.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If Barry can continue what?
    Jumping on opponents early, getting turnovers and score, and helping the offense get a big lead. Barry's D is tailor made to be a front runner with a big lead. If they are up by 2 and the other team has the ball with 1 minute and 2 timeouts left forget it.

I think ultimately MLF will come to his senses - or someone will make him - and he'll get a different DC. If it's not this year, it better be next.

It's interesting to consider that, even with a 27-7 lead at halftime, they weren't completely safe. DAL scored 25 in the 2nd half (one TD drive was against scrubs but still). If the offense hadn't kept the pedal to the floor that could've been a different game, even theugh GB was kicking the crap out of DAL in the first half.

This game doesn't help clarify the situation. Defense played well for 3 quarters but couldn't stop them when they needed to at the end. Forced no turnovers. The usual mix of positives and negatives.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I’d be ok whichever way Matt goes. I think almost all of the problem we had was when our secondary was decimated and he had to try to either cover for them or stop the run and have them get gashed. Not much he can do without the horses. He’s not on the field.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I suspect they will make a change, but who? Change for the sake of change isn't particularly inspiring. Maybe Wink? This DL with Wink could be a lot of fun. The D would certainly force turnovers.

Lafleur said the staff would stick together after the game. Not directly about Barry, but in general. I don’t think he’s going anywhere.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I don't see a change now. This team can win with Barry. I just wish it didn't feel like he is a pile of bricks in their backpacks they need to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I don't see a change now. This team can win with Barry. I just wish it didn't feel like he is a pile of bricks in their backpacks they need to overcome.
    Yeah. I don't have any faith that if GB is up 2 or 6 points late in a game they can stop a team. Barry's defenses are a little too soft/passive for my tastes, but I'm not the coach.
    Supposedly more aggressive defenses (like what Flores ran in MN) are going to become the new hot thing. More pressure and deception, less sit back with bend/don't break stuff. We'll see how that works out.

It seemed like Barry got a lot smarter late in the season. More likely, he overcame stubbornness after being told shape up or ship out, and did a few things he previously hadn't wanted to do.

Given that LaFleur likes Barry and things did get better late in the year, I think he stays. Hopefully he doesn't backslide to his old ways next season. As was said, we can win with him, and the continuity probably is a good thing.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If he isn't extended within 2 weeks it means they are looking at alternatives
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It seemed like Barry got a lot smarter late in the season. More likely, he overcame stubbornness after being told shape up or ship out, and did a few things he previously hadn't wanted to do.

Given that LaFleur likes Barry and things did get better late in the year, I think he stays. Hopefully he doesn't backslide to his old ways next season. As was said, we can win with him, and the continuity probably is a good thing.

Just like last year.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

You have to do better than Barry. His track record during his career speaks for itself. He doesn’t command championship caliber defenses. If you want to win a title, he’s not the guy you want helming the defense. The last few years bear that out entirely. He’s not the worst defensive coach ever, but his defenses almost always fail to hold the lead. You need to find someone who can…at least some of the time.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

i think its gonna be tough to get rid of him after the last few weeks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

agree
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

The Niners were 10 of 16 converting third downs. That is bad, regardless of how the defense played otherwise.

And they let SF walk down the field with little resistance at the end, when it counted

If the Packers want to host playoff games and have a real shot at a title, get rid of the guy who has a track record of mediocrity.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Not at all. You just ask Barry to come in for a meeting, and you say "Joe, we're going in a different direction with the defensive coordinator position."

That's not hard at all.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    The Niners were 10 of 16 converting third downs. That is bad, regardless of how the defense played otherwise.

And they let SF walk down the field with little resistance at the end, when it counted

If the Packers want to host playoff games and have a real shot at a title, get rid of the guy who has a track record of mediocrity.
    Agree. SF was converting a lot by catching the ball 2-3 yards short of the sticks and just breaking a tackle if someone was there or just running for it when there was a space cushion.
    Also, I'm starting to wonder if the 'bend but don't break' model needs to be reconsidered, or at least modified. Teams go for it on 4th and 2 a lot more than they used to; even if a Barry defense tackles someone short of the sticks on 3rd down they usually give up the conversion on 4th.
    I like the Fangio scheme and all, but I wonder if it's been figured out and being the creator Fangio is best position to adapt it well. You pretty much have to get a team into a 4th and 5 situation to force a punt, that's not BDB and probably something more exotic than sitting back in a reactive zone.

Barry gets some credit for coaching with his back against the wall, but it seems like this is a recurring theme: defense looks bad until end of season when everyone is fed up and he pulls out some good defensive games. If he can only do it from Week 13 on, what do you do for the previous 12 weeks?

When they draft a CB or S in R1 and Barry comes back only and we see a Keystone Kops defense, are we going to roll out the "8 1st rounders on defense WTF" thing again? I don't think they lack talent except at safety, and maybe corner (depending on health) but this defense has not performed up to its talent, and coaching is where people are going to look. Better defenses have worked with less than what GB has.

I have resigned myself to having Joe Barry back next year. MLF is too stubborn to make the change. I don’t think he sees the big picture surrounding the defensive performance over the last 2 years.

Crazy idea - I wonder if Pete Carroll would be willing to coach D for a couple years.