Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Let's hope it goes better than W's mission accomplished.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

LOL @ Joe

Blog Entries
    Good bye "Bury Joe Barry" thread, We hardly knew ye.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Good bye "Bury Joe Barry" thread, We hardly knew ye.
    Unfortunately we knew him FAR too long.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I suspect they will fire Barry by Thursday. When does Gooter speak?
    Congrats to you. I've often criticized you, but you sure nailed this one. What was the significance of "by Thursday"?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Let's hope it goes better than W's mission accomplished.
    Another poster who knows way better but still brings up politics. Why the fuck do you force this to happen??

Oh that’s right you can’t answer because you’re banned.

From now on first time 1 week, second 1 month and third Is Joe Barry status. I don’t give a shit how slight the reference.

The #Dolphins are hiring former #Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry as their linebackers coach/run game coordinator, per source.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hey, if you're gonna learn, why not learn on the job?
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    The #Dolphins are hiring former #Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry as their linebackers coach/run game coordinator, per source.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Hey, if you're gonna learn, why not learn on the job?
    Linebackers coach, I can understand, but why make a guy who has never had a good run defense a run game coordinator? Good luck Miami, you'll need it.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

hahahahaha We play the Dolphins this year, don't we?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Soon as the finalized schedule is released, Aaron Jones is gonna circle the date with a red magic marker.

Aaron Jones will make some slumber party invites on his Crickut.

And I just read that we hired the guy who coached the Dolphins' linebackers for the last four years, so I'm all confused with these key-party transactions.
    Silverstein says he'll be part of the transition into a 4-3.

I'm sure y'all already know this stuff, but news takes a while to trickle down here.

And I just read that we hired the guy who coached the Dolphins' linebackers for the last four years, so I'm all confused with these key-party transactions.
    Silverstein says he'll be part of the transition into a 4-3.

I'm sure y'all already know this stuff, but news takes a while to trickle down here.
    Yeah, we hired Anthony Campanile. This looks like a great hire. He's young, been successful in several positions and exposed to a number of different systems and schemes, and has a fiery, Clay Matthews-Kevin Greene personality. Supposedly very good at motivating players, so he should help bring our youngsters along.

If he works out, there's a good chance we lose him fairly soon as a DC. He applied for the Miami DC job, was mentioned as a replacement here for Barry, and was rumored to be a strong candidate to replace Hafley at BU (where he also coached for several years, as a defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator). So he's a man on the move, worked his way all the way up from linebacker coach at a high school after he got out of college.

God, these connections all sound incestuous, don't they?

If he loves what he does and has success at it, I'm sold.

If he loves what he does and has success at it, I'm sold.
    The very definition of a VC Andrews novel . . .
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Somebody at ACME is reading Packerrats, as I saw this quote in a story this morning - which is something several Rats kept saying last season. Bobble, was it? Or Thunder Dan? And others, too:

"Plenty of defenses around the league succeed with the scheme approach the Packers used in 2023, but the scheme doesn’t matter if you’re lining up your defense in the wrong call for the situation — an occurrence so common under Barry that you’d practically expect the Packers to give up a key conversion just because they had the wrong look for the situation."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Somebody at ACME is reading Packerrats, as I saw this quote in a story this morning - which is something several Rats kept saying last season. Bobble, was it? Or Thunder Dan? And others, too:

"Plenty of defenses around the league succeed with the scheme approach the Packers used in 2023, but the scheme doesn’t matter if you’re lining up your defense in the wrong call for the situation — an occurrence so common under Barry that you’d practically expect the Packers to give up a key conversion just because they had the wrong look for the situation."
    I only made that point once or twice, and others have said it just as often. It was so obvious it hurts. The QB sneak in Carolina was criminal. The spread DL 2-4 at the 3 yard line that allowed a draw play and a double team on one of the interior guys happened at least 5x this season. Lining the CBs right on the markers and allowing a catch 2-3 yards short that is next to impossible to tackle without giving up the YAC was a trademark. And having a MLB on Godwin all game long as he ate our lunch without adjusting almost cost me a new 80 inch TV.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

There was a lot of miscommunication in the back 7, and you'd hope a guy with a DB coaching background like Halfass will get that sorted out pronto.
    Agree it's less about the scheme and more about the gameplan, playcaller, and execution.

Every scheme has weaknesses, no do players. You have to minimize those for your team and exploit those of the other team. I think Barry could come up with decent game plans but couldn't get the details and communication down, and I don't think he could adjust well enough in-game as a playcaller with MLF getting in his ear. I also suspect that when the SHTF, he defaults to his Marinelli background of vanilla - rush 4 with a 2 high safety shell, which was a bit too conservative. Not getting that shell able to pass off receivers crossing a zone is a sin...coaches at lower levels of the game can teach players that effectively.

I think he'll be fine as a LB coach, but DC is a step to far for him. I'll be excited to see his LBs line up against Rodgers and the NYJ next season.