Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Get Joe Barry!

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

^ accurate

With the winning streak over and last nights debacle, I'm hopeful Barry getting canned is back on LeFleur's radar. I was afraid that if the team, specifically the defense kept playing decently, Barry's job was safe. To have the stats or rather lack there of on defense against one, if not the worst offense in the NFL, I'm surprised Barry wasn't told to just stay in NY.

4 games of over 200 yards rushing allowed. Supposedly no other team has allowed more than 2.

You can get away with letting the other team run the ball if you're up 14 with 8 minutes left in the game, but you can't get away with that if you are playing at SF or Philly in January. They will stomp you into the turf.

Barry does not have a track record of being an above average DC. Never has. Even a 'good' season for him is middle of pack.
    There are times when he's had a good gameplan and players executed poorly, sure. From what I've heard he's regarded as a nice guy without an ego, not some kind of defensive genius. You can find better, but MLF won't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    4 games of over 200 yards rushing allowed. Supposedly no other team has allowed more than 2.

You can get away with letting the other team run the ball if you're up 14 with 8 minutes left in the game, but you can't get away with that if you are playing at SF or Philly in January. They will stomp you into the turf.

Barry does not have a track record of being an above average DC. Never has. Even a 'good' season for him is middle of pack.
    There are times when he's had a good gameplan and players executed poorly, sure. From what I've heard he's regarded as a nice guy without an ego, not some kind of defensive genius. You can find better, but MLF won't.

Barry is junk; and as several have pointed out in here it was sickening how Flower immediately annouced JB was back last year and 2 weeks later Minnesota hired Brian Flores and 1 week after that Miami hires Vic Fangio.

Draft picks aside, the greater good...E.T.T. was a legit consideration ......if you want GB to ever win a Super Bowl getting rid of Barry was worth losing a couple more games in itself.

He is who he is, and so is Flower. Flower doesn't like making the hard calls. Think MAURICE DRAYTON, about the worst, yes, the worst ST ever to come through Green Bay. And even when firing him, Flower offered him a spot with GB in another capacity. Dang, he was so qualified, now he's stuck coaching college at the Citadel.

Odds are BJB (and that's Bring Joe Back) is happening and much frustrtion is ahead
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    With the winning streak over and last nights debacle, I'm hopeful Barry getting canned is back on LeFleur's radar. I was afraid that if the team, specifically the defense kept playing decently, Barry's job was safe. To have the stats or rather lack there of on defense against one, if not the worst offense in the NFL, I'm surprised Barry wasn't told to just stay in NY.
    Packers' special teams units had to be nearly historically bad to force MLF to can his last two ST coordinators; the odds are that he'll keep Joe Barely again. Maybe an epic fuckup - giving up a two-touchdown lead in the last three minutes of a game? - will push MLF to reconsider, but tht's not sure thing. I mean, giving up a big lead is, but not getting fired.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

They haven't given up a big lead, unless you count the ATL loss.
    Hey, the Dolphins were up 14 with 3 minutes to go and lost. Imagine if Barry's D did that.

Barry likes to play 2 DL nickel, he likes to play zone coverage, usually soft or off coverage. He needs players who can quickly rally and tackle, and nobody seems to practice tackling. (Also, what is considered a legal tackle might change again, based on Troy Vincent's recent comments. Make it flag football, already.) He has improved at adapting in-game, but I wouldn't say it's a strong suit. Mostly his game plans are ok-to-good but sometimes poorly executed. He's not innovative. He's pretty locked in to what he wants to run, often without any situational awareness.

I don't think he customizes his system to the players he has, which is a bad move IMO.

He has a poor track record, and is aided by MLF running a slow paced offense which limits possessions and thus scoring.

There are lots of things I don't like about Barry's performance, and the defensive performance overall. This year they've been reflective of what they are: a team with a record just below .500. I don't think that's necessarily grounds to keep a coach, especially when they are consistently bad at certain metrics (run defense). I don't think they can reach the SB much less win one with him at DC. It's nothing personal, I just think he's probably best as a position coach than as a DC.

Speaking of underperforming, how about Bisaccia? Whoo, his ST units haven't exactly taken a step forward in Year 2, have they?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    They haven't given up a big lead, unless you count the ATL loss.
    Hey, the Dolphins were up 14 with 3 minutes to go and lost. Imagine if Barry's D did that.

Barry likes to play 2 DL nickel, he likes to play zone coverage, usually soft or off coverage. He needs players who can quickly rally and tackle, and nobody seems to practice tackling. (Also, what is considered a legal tackle might change again, based on Troy Vincent's recent comments. Make it flag football, already.) He has improved at adapting in-game, but I wouldn't say it's a strong suit. Mostly his game plans are ok-to-good but sometimes poorly executed. He's not innovative. He's pretty locked in to what he wants to run, often without any situational awareness.

I don't think he customizes his system to the players he has, which is a bad move IMO.

He has a poor track record, and is aided by MLF running a slow paced offense which limits possessions and thus scoring.

There are lots of things I don't like about Barry's performance, and the defensive performance overall. This year they've been reflective of what they are: a team with a record just below .500. I don't think that's necessarily grounds to keep a coach, especially when they are consistently bad at certain metrics (run defense). I don't think they can reach the SB much less win one with him at DC. It's nothing personal, I just think he's probably best as a position coach than as a DC.

Speaking of underperforming, how about Bisaccia? Whoo, his ST units haven't exactly taken a step forward in Year 2, have they?
    I was going to bold-face all the parts of your post with which I agreed, but there were so many there was no point. No, he hasn't given up a two-touchdown lead, but can his defenses be trusted not to do so?

If the NFL is supposed to be the pinnacle of football, then you'd think your coaches would be at the pinnacles of their profession. But as you say, Barry might be a victim/beneficiary of the Peter Principle.

His situational awareness seems . . . underdeveloped.

And no, he does not build a defense based upon players' strengths, I don't think. Exhibit A was not matching Alexander with the M inny WR (Jeffries?) in their first game last year, and the Packers getting toasted.

And yes, Bisaccia's special teams have been underwhelming. Disregard the new kicker and punter; the rest of them are not playing very well.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

MLF, do what must be done.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 12-17-2023 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    MLF, so what must be done.
    Must be done

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    MLF, do what must be done.
    Outsource it if you have to. Send him a candygram. Whatever it takes, just cut him loose. Call Jolene. If she was hot enough to take Dolly's man, maybe she can take MiLF's man.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

heres a mind for for you

so lets say we actually sack up and fire barry

who replaces him?

well we traded a guy this offseason who demanded all his buddies also get signed by his new team. he gets hurt right away and the team looks like shit after that

Robert Saleh is on the hot seat in new york. how awesome would it be if the rodgers trade also ended up bringing saleh to GB for a couple seasons to rebuild his stock with his little buddy?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    heres a mind for for you

so lets say we actually sack up and fire barry

who replaces him?

well we traded a guy this offseason who demanded all his buddies also get signed by his new team. he gets hurt right away and the team looks like shit after that

Robert Saleh is on the hot seat in new york. how awesome would it be if the rodgers trade also ended up bringing saleh to GB for a couple seasons to rebuild his stock with his little buddy?
    Rodgers is not firing Saleh. I wonder what the status of Ejiro Evero will be after this year. He's the DC for Carolina.

Saleh or Evero would be upgrades.
    No to Brandon Staley.

MLF's seat is probably safe, but Barry's seat definitely heating up after two weeks of horrible, terrible, no good defense.
    They'll wait for Black Monday before making any moves.

Finding a DC who wants the job might not be easy, not unless they think MLF's job is secure for at least two years. Nobody wants to move, get fired after a year, and have to move again.

It will be interesting to see what Joe Barry can do to get Bryce Young's career jumpstarted.

ABSODAMNLUTELY! Shit-can the bastard!

Yesterday was another thoroughly rotten game - any loss is. This one, though, was almost entirely on the D, and not even so much on the D players as on the DC/on the scheme/on the failure to adjust.

And we don't need some stale old piece of crap (stale as in Staley).

I'll throw out a name: Al Harris - doing a great job for the Cowboys coaching DBs, has Packer roots, and IMO would be coming from a better D scheme than we have now. Fire Barry quick and hire Harris before Jerry Jones snags him when Quinn leaves to be a head coach.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Time for some new ideas.

Wendell Ferreira
    @wendellfp
    Fangio-style defenses by DVOA:

Dolphins: 13th
    Rams: 21st
    Eagles: 22nd
    Panthers: 27th
    Chargers: 28th
    Packers: 29th

If your scheme needs a combination of Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald or Fangio himself to succeed, I bring you some bad news.

To your post Joe (which doesn't show in a quote) I've always said the man outweighs the scheme. Schemes and concepts matter, but you can say its a "4-6" defense, but there is a lot of room to manipulate that idea. At the end of the day great minds make things work, not JUST great concepts. Guys like Andy Reid evolve over the years, but just keep winning.

I want a young smart guy who can exploit weaknesses. I love the way Bowles stops the run, then brings the house when you are in a situation that you pass from 90% of the time. Rex Ryan looks at an offense and says "hey, we can ruin them when they do this." Then he figures out when you do it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

There is no reason to fire Joe Barely now. It just makes the organization look panicked, and the truth is, no new coordinator's going to be able to change enough to make so much difference that the Packers have that much better of a chance to win their last three and sneak into the playoffs. So no reason to can him now.

But the day after the season's over, yes, it's time. It's very much time. However, I am concerned that MLF will rely less on thinking about what would work against modern-day offenses and rely more on a network of guys he's worked with. That scares me.

I think Joe's point is a good one - the days of the Fangio defense being effective have gone by; the game has changed again. It's time, as Bobble points out, for someone who has a foundational idea but can scheme and adapt - both to what other teams are doing and to the strengths of his players.

I, personally, hated Buddy Ryan's defenses because the Packers got beat up by them, but I loved the idea that the defense was in control - they got after offenses and made offenses react.

Bobble said that well.

I'd like someone more like that.

KYPack

MLF PC at 3:00 today. If Barry were being fired now, would probably be announced before then.