Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

As much as I hope, I doubt it happens. LaFleur likes the guy, or he wouldn't have let him hang around this long. I don't think he is gonna show him up/embarrass his worthless ass by firing him now. Besides, he'd have to answer a lot of questions about why the hell he waited this long. More likely, he will "retire" gracefully after the season.

Bring on a young smart DC to replace him, maybe Al Harris, and change the damned Barry scheme.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    As much as I hope, I doubt it happens. LaFleur likes the guy, or he wouldn't have let him hang around this long. I don't think he is gonna show him up/embarrass his worthless ass by firing him now. Besides, he'd have to answer a lot of questions about why the hell he waited this long. More likely, he will "retire" gracefully after the season.

Bring on a young smart DC to replace him, maybe Al Harris, and change the damned Barry scheme.
    I am also in favor of hiring Harris as DC. Dude’s played /coached in so many schemes, he’ll make a sophisticated DC.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Ha, sign me up for Harris. Been saying that for a few weeks now that I think he is going to be a stud in that role.

Any chance MILF calls old buddy Jimmy Leonhard, or has that ship sailed? Kind of feels like some of the luster wore off JL.

I feel like that ship has sailed, but ya never know.
    Leonhard has been linked to a few college DC roles, but maybe he has an NFL job in mind. He was an analyst for IL this season, and mentioned as a candidate for MSU and USC DC jobs.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, but it would be interesting choice.
    Honestly, they could probably get ChatGPT to do a better job than Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rodgers is not firing Saleh. I wonder what the status of Ejiro Evero will be after this year. He's the DC for Carolina.
    Didn't Denver just have a boat load of good players? I am skeptical that he'd be a net improvement. I don't know if I am just partial to former players or what but Al Harris sounds great. I dunno who the other up-and-comers are. I just want a guy that is a prodigy. Who is the next great DC in the NFL? Would Bob Salad come work with his former roomie? Maybe bring his brother while he's at it?

Why do the Ravens culturally have a great defense year after year despite changing coaches somewhat regularly? They're consistently consistent. How do we build that culture? They are clearly coaching and prioritizing D differently.

I would vote for Al because you know they're gonna man up and play aggressive AF every play. I want these guys shifting around and blitzing like crazy like the Rex Ryan Ravens did. Man up and rush the passer.

Jimmy Leonard should be an easy candidate

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    Leonhard. Not sure he's such a big deal anymore.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Joe Barry's Packers defense ranks in 2023

22nd in yards per play
    25th in expected points added
    22nd in takeaways
    26th in passer rating allowed
    29th in interceptions
    22nd in sacks
    28th in yards/rush
    21st in scoring%
    25th in adjusted net YPA
    25th in third down%
    31st in plays/drive

Joe Barry's Packers defense ranks in 2023

22nd in yards per play
    25th in expected points added
    22nd in takeaways
    26th in passer rating allowed
    29th in interceptions
    22nd in sacks
    28th in yards/rush
    21st in scoring%
    25th in adjusted net YPA
    25th in third down%
    31st in plays/drive
    and I believe they've dropped out of the top 10 in points allowed to about 17th. I'd have to actually be non-lazy and Google that, and also their Defensive DVOA ranking, but I've heard it's bottom quartile.

Barry has had 3 years to show us something that looks like improvement from Pettine, and basically it's been teases, disappoinments, and meh. I've been skeptical MLF would move on, but after two really bad performances you have to wonder.

Oh, and that DeVito kid the Packers couldn't sack? He was sacked SEVEN times by the NO defense, and the NYG scored a whopping SIX points. Imagine that - a UDFA 3rd string QB looking the part against a real defense.

Blog Entries
    WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER; Let's all say it together...........JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY

Jimmy was a Raven and learned a bunch from their elite DC's
    When Rey Ryan went to the Jets he said the first guy he wanted to bring in was Jimmy because Jimmy knew how to direct a defense
    Jimmy was an elite DC at Wisconsin and was offered numerous opportunities to "upgrade" but Jimmy was loyal to the Badge
    Jimmy referred to how GB was always a job he would consider, and the only job at that time he would consider
    Jimmy gave such a great interview, that Flower close Jimmy over his Rose Bud and then settled on the RoseBarry after GB lowballed Jimmy with their offer

Now would I take Rex Ryan, Saleh, maybe...maybe Al Harris. MAYBE

But I'll take JIMMY JIMMY JIMMY any day of the week in Green Bay as our next DC
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Leonhard. Not sure he's such a big deal anymore.
    :
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

With his own coaching future on the line, is MLF going to choose as his DC a Senior Football Analyst from Illinois? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Blog Entries
    With his own coaching future on the line, is MLF going to choose as his DC a Senior Football Analyst from Illinois? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Is he of less value because he took this job ?

I would say this is an ignorant way of looking at the situation. Jimmy is getting paid over $1,000,000 this year from the UW Madison and he was pretty strung to take the year off and stay home with family/kids. He turned down better opportunities, but BB knew his pedigree and throw out a carrot and this gig allowed him to work on a part time basis and worked for him proximity wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

I would say this is an ignorant way of looking at the situation. Jimmy is getting paid over $1,000,000 this year from the UW Madison and he was pretty strung to take the year off and stay home with family/kids. He turned down better opportunities, but BB knew his pedigree and throw out a carrot and this gig allowed him to work on a part time basis and worked for him proximity wise.
    Settle down, fellas. We’re fighting over who the next DC should be, and we haven’t even got the current DC fired yet.

Stay focused. Joe Barely sucks. Joe Barely sucks. Joe Barely sucks.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    There is no reason to fire Joe Barely now. It just makes the organization look panicked, and the truth is, no new coordinator's going to be able to change enough to make so much difference that the Packers have that much better of a chance to win their last three and sneak into the playoffs. So no reason to can him now.

But the day after the season's over, yes, it's time.
    I feel too much like an overconfident messageboard fan when I say this, but if Barry's coaching is losing the team and would affect incoming/outgoing free agents, then it would be better to place the D with a caretaker, be that promoting someone we've got or bringing in a fired HC/DC.

I consider that a white flag for the 2023 season, but if it keeps our players from fighting each other, I'm okay with it. Maybe if everyone thinks he's a nice guy who juat isn't getting results, I'd understand running out the string with him.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Do you believe that though? I mean, it's a 4.5 hour drive each way. It's not like he's commuting. I'm sure they moved down there. (You would know better).

I'm not convinced he had a bunch of folks beating down the door to hire him. We shall see. If he got the job, I'd be pretty happy, but I also would be shocked if he got it.

I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

The thing with Leonhard though is that he's never coached in the NFL. Yes, I know LaFleur reportedly offered him the job once. But that was when LaFleur was in a very strong position coming off 2 straight 13-3 seasons and nearly taking the team to the Super Bowl. This year he may be coming off 2 straight losing seasons and will know he needs to get this right to assure his own future. I just think he's going to want someone with NFL experience. Not an experienced mediocrity like Barry. He won't go that route again. But a guy who has built a solid reputation with his work in the NFL. I think a guy like Al Harris would have a better chance than Leonhard. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Settle down, fellas. We’re fighting over who the next DC should be, and we haven’t even got the current DC fired yet.

Stay focused. Joe Barely sucks. Joe Barely sucks. Joe Barely sucks.

ah, it's all in good fun. I would never brawl with Joe