Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Do you believe that though? I mean, it's a 4.5 hour drive each way. It's not like he's commuting. I'm sure they moved down there. (You would know better).

I'm not convinced he had a bunch of folks beating down the door to hire him. We shall see. If he got the job, I'd be pretty happy, but I also would be shocked if he got it.

The job allowed him to stay in his home in Monona, with part of his work remote there and part in ILL. I don't think it's 4.5 hours. But early on he was only there a couple days out of the week, Sometimes not even on game day. It fit his schedule and BB wanted another set of eyes. And the Eagles were itnerested in him but he decided he didn't want to make the full committment. He's getting paid a ton from UW; who can blame him for wanting to take a year off, or just work a bit. The gig with ILL is not remotely full time and he didn't want that
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The thing with Leonhard though is that he's never coached in the NFL. Yes, I know LaFleur reportedly offered him the job once. But that was when LaFleur was in a very strong position coming off 2 straight 13-3 seasons and nearly taking the team to the Super Bowl. This year he may be coming off 2 straight losing seasons and will know he needs to get this right to assure his own future. I just think he's going to want someone with NFL experience. Not an experienced mediocrity like Barry. He won't go that route again. But a guy who has built a solid reputation with his work in the NFL. I think a guy like Al Harris would have a better chance than Leonhard. We'll see.
    I too would be surprised if he went back to JL after he turned the job down initially. I don't think Leonard even knows what he wants. Before JL had all the control. This time, I think to him to have a shot he'll have to pursue the job and he's still pretty jilted by UW and unsure of the route he wants to go.

I haven't followed AL Harris much; what is his pedigree (besides Tank pimping him for a while, which kinda scares me) ?

I'd love to see a guy like Brian Flores or Vic Fangio; not pursuing them last year was Flower's motherload of F'ck ups. Rarely do you have "2" guys of the pedigree available.

I could embrace Saleh. Does Al Harris have this type of pedigree yet ?
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Just knowing Al Harris I just believe he is gonna be a dawg and be an exceptionally aggressive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I too would be surprised if he went back to JL after he turned the job down initially. I don't think Leonard even knows what he wants. Before JL had all the control. This time, I think to him to have a shot he'll have to pursue the job and he's still pretty jilted by UW and unsure of the route he wants to go.

I haven't followed AL Harris much; what is his pedigree (besides Tank pimping him for a while, which kinda scares me) ?

I'd love to see a guy like Brian Flores or Vic Fangio; not pursuing them last year was Flower's motherload of F'ck ups. Rarely do you have "2" guys of the pedigree available.

I think a lot of posters here are saying they're tired of retreads, in large part because those retreads mostly come from the same coaching tree/scheme, and that scheme is being unmasked by Kyle Shanahan and other offenses across the NFL.

As Bobble said, it's about finding someone who's figuring out how to counter what offenses are doing in 2022, not running a defense that worked three or five years ago. Someone who can also adapt based on his defensive talent, playing to strengths and covering weaknesses. Not someone who just runs "The Scheme" over and over.

This is where you wish you could listen in on the interviews and hear which guy is that guy, the one who's thinking ahead, the smart one who has a vision of his own and can communicate that vision to his players (ah, there's that "communication" word).

Al Harris would be a great story - as long as he's not the Bart Starr or Forrest Gregg of defensive coordinators.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Maybe we should keep barry. He was just named the nfc offensive player of the week.

(Stole this from reddit)
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

The thing with Leonhard though is that he's never coached in the NFL. Yes, I know LaFleur reportedly offered him the job once. But that was when LaFleur was in a very strong position coming off 2 straight 13-3 seasons and nearly taking the team to the Super Bowl. This year he may be coming off 2 straight losing seasons and will know he needs to get this right to assure his own future. I just think he's going to want someone with NFL experience. Not an experienced mediocrity like Barry. He won't go that route again. But a guy who has built a solid reputation with his work in the NFL. I think a guy like Al Harris would have a better chance than Leonhard. We'll see.
    I just think of all of the defensive talent that he and others developed at UW. He makes the most out of the team.

Is he innovative enough to counter the latest offensive trends - I don’t know. But it’s been a long time since the Defense led this team despite getting the full tilt on draft capital.

As usual - it’ll probably be someone we’ve never heard of that worked w/ MLF in the past that he trusts.

I do think JL is a strong NFL DC candidate though and it seems like a good fit for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Maybe we should keep barry. He was just named the nfc offensive player of the week.

(Stole this from reddit)
    LOL
    Well after playing Barry's defense, DeVito won the honor, and Baker probably will

Not sure how highly Harris is regarded. He was asst. DB coach for 6 years in Kansas City under Andy Reid. Reid was his head coach during his playing days in Philadelphia. The entire Chiefs defensive staff was let go following the 2018 season after losing 37-31 to the Patriots in the AFCCG. He was hired by Mike McCarthy in 2020.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Al Harris and his DB's for the Cowboys are indeed aggressive. Trevon Diggs last season and Daron Bland this year occasionally get beat, but they have been hellaciously good at jumping routes and getting pick sixes. They are good Corners, but I don't think they are THAT good. Scheme/coaching has something to do with it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Al Harris is not the answer at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    He’s a better answer than Joe Barely.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    i don't know if al is the point or not, but i's rather give a young guy with the hope of him getting better a chance over a guy who we know is gonna continue to suck because he has always sucked no matter where he's been

Was listening to Andy Herman and Justis Mosqueda tonight. Justis believes Barry can still save his job. Herman doesn't. But Justis said "Joe Barry is just a vehicle for the kind of defense that Matt LaFleur wants to run." If that is true, doesn't seem he'd be looking to Al Harris. Evero or Staley would be better fits who came out of the Fangio tree. Maybe a guy like Leonhard who came out of the Rex Ryan/Pettine system. Justis mentioned Leonhard and Dave Aranda, who is feeling pressure at Baylor, as possibilities.

Blog Entries
    Was listening to Andy Herman and Justis Mosqueda tonight. Justis believes Barry can still save his job. Herman doesn't. But Justis said "Joe Barry is just a vehicle for the kind of defense that Matt LaFleur wants to run." If that is true, doesn't seem he'd be looking to Al Harris. Evero or Staley would be better fits who came out of the Fangio tree. Maybe a guy like Leonhard who came out of the Rex Ryan/Pettine system. Justis mentioned Leonhard and Dave Aranda, who is feeling pressure at Baylor, as possibilities.

OF COURSE he can save his job. Does anybody listen to Flower making excuses for his bestie ? And we play three garbage offenses in a row. Imaging if we hold Carolina to single digits (which we might, and then go beat Minnesots....maybe even Chicago. He could easily be back. LAST Year, the day after the season he noted BarryBall was coming back but they were going to modify the schmes and look to play more pressure/man defense. So he brought a guy back, cause he's soft, who believes in this zone ball, wanting to go more away form the scheme. It makes NO sense

DID YOU KNOW
    We have up 190 years passing last week when our CB's playing soft (it was defined, I think, as being 7 yards off the scrimmage.
    AND, Baker was 20 fro 23 when we were in zone coverage.

CHEWY was a TON of money partying with friends and placing bet after bet on 2nd and long, 3rd and long..etc...that GB defense would give up the first down. Sounded like fun giving it a try. But he won $$$ betting against our defense all day.

The Embrace the Tank Bus still has a "few" openings for the greater good. We've got cocktails and plent of munchies.

But it'll be full soon and all you wanna be JoeBarry detractors just may need to cheer for him for all of next year as well. f

Eric Henderson from the Rams is a sleeper candidate for Packers DC, if and when Barry is let go.

Leonard, Bowles, Saleh. I would be very happy with one of them. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

OF COURSE he can save his job. Does anybody listen to Flower making excuses for his bestie ? And we play three garbage offenses in a row. Imaging if we hold Carolina to single digits (which we might, and then go beat Minnesots....maybe even Chicago. He could easily be back. LAST Year, the day after the season he noted BarryBall was coming back but they were going to modify the schmes and look to play more pressure/man defense. So he brought a guy back, cause he's soft, who believes in this zone ball, wanting to go more away form the scheme. It makes NO sense

DID YOU KNOW
    We have up 190 years passing last week when our CB's playing soft (it was defined, I think, as being 7 yards off the scrimmage.
    AND, Baker was 20 fro 23 when we were in zone coverage.

CHEWY was a TON of money partying with friends and placing bet after bet on 2nd and long, 3rd and long..etc...that GB defense would give up the first down. Sounded like fun giving it a try. But he won $$$ betting against our defense all day.

The Embrace the Tank Bus still has a "few" openings for the greater good. We've got cocktails and plent of munchies.

But it'll be full soon and all you wanna be JoeBarry detractors just may need to cheer for him for all of next year as well. f
    The ETT is working in the best way possible. Losing because Barry is shit, but Love and the young offense getting better. Its more fun winning, but if we must lose, that was ideal.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Even if the Packers make the playoffs, I think Barry is gone. Most think he's on the last year of his contract. So they don't even have to fire him. They can just let his contract expire and "decide to go in another direction". Or Barry could resign to spend more time with his family.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Leonard, Bowles, Saleh. I would be very happy with one of them. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.
    Yeah, I'd be happy with this too. I guess I just don't believe TB is getting fired in Tampa right now since they are rebuilding, and then I suspect NYJ just pretend this year didn't count and Bob Salad is back.

Given the above, I am squarely in team Leonhard or team Harris camp. I'd be happy with either. I think I'd probably lean towards Leonhard given his time with Rex Ryan and that extremely aggressive style of defense. That said - is he a firey guy like Rex? Is Al? I want somebody that is intense like Antonio Pierce that can set the tone.

List of candidates.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/...oe-barry-fired
    Last edited by call_me_ishmael; 12-20-2023 at 03:47 PM.

Position coaches maybe should be that kind of "intense" guy, but the DC needs to have and use a brain. Who was that doofus (I think he has since died) that some in here (you?) wanted as Packer DC? Sheesh.

Al Harris coaches in the much acclaimed Dan Quinn D scheme. Consider what he has done with the DBs there in contrast for example to Jerry Gray in Green Bay. The most likely scenario if Quinn becomes a head coach, as many think, is that Jerry Jones keeps Harris in Dallas as DC, but it would be nice if the Packers snagged him first.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?