Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2023 Bury Joe Barry Thread

I sincerely doubt Dan Quinn gets another HC job. He's in the perfect spot

If you're right, which I doubt, that would make it more likely the Packers could get him for DC.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If you're right, which I doubt, that would make it more likely the Packers could get him for DC.
    Dan Quinn? Why would he leave Dallas if he's thriving. Maybe down the road when his message inevitably gets old and he gets recycled. Al Harris? Yes, I agree it makes it more likely.

Why would anyone hire DQ as a head coach when he's been there, done that, and shown he's not great at it?

"Joe Barry. The same Joe Barry who led the 2008 Detroit Lions 0-16 defense and never produced a top-20 defense in any stint as defensive coordinator."

Came across this in an article. It says a lot.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Even if the Packers make the playoffs, I think Barry is gone. Most think he's on the last year of his contract. So they don't even have to fire him. They can just let his contract expire and "decide to go in another direction". Or Barry could resign to spend more time with his family.
    What if we play SF and he shuts them down again. What if he allows like 6 points, but ST costs us the game? Do they bring him back then?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    What if we play SF and he shuts them down again. What if he allows like 6 points, but ST costs us the game? Do they bring him back then?
    So that standard is "every now and then" ?

"Joe Barry. The same Joe Barry who led the 2008 Detroit Lions 0-16 defense and never produced a top-20 defense in any stint as defensive coordinator."

Came across this in an article. It says a lot.
    Yet when Larry was interviewing coach jr on the jr coaches hour, matty said he believes that the defense can “return” to the high level it’s been at in the past.

Larry did not follow up with the question, “when the fuck was that”?

Hopefully Matt's answer would be:

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I sincerely doubt Dan Quinn gets another HC job. He's in the perfect spot

And who is the top Associate DC there ? A former Packer guy who many kinda liked, Him coming back to GB would not be that surprising either
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'd be happy with this too. I guess I just don't believe TB is getting fired in Tampa right now since they are rebuilding, and then I suspect NYJ just pretend this year didn't count and Bob Salad is back.

Given the above, I am squarely in team Leonhard or team Harris camp. I'd be happy with either. I think I'd probably lean towards Leonhard given his time with Rex Ryan and that extremely aggressive style of defense. That said - is he a firey guy like Rex? Is Al? I want somebody that is intense like Antonio Pierce that can set the tone.

List of candidates.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/...oe-barry-fired

WINK is the top dog out of those dudes IMO

I'll take Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy or the Carolina DC as my 2nd and 3rd choices

I think I'd also take Whit over Al Harris
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Bretsky;1147593]

Joe Whitt might be ok; but I don't wanna hire wild cards.

I'd also be happy with Saleh, and Bowles as Bobble noted

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    WINK is the top dog out of those dudes IMO

I'll take Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy or the Carolina DC as my 2nd and 3rd choices

I think I'd also take Whit over Al Harris
    Yep agreed, I just doubt he gets fired. If he does, I can see where this is appealing since his stated goal is to become an HC. Making the inept Packers D good would show excellent coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I guess I didn't make that very clear hahahaha. I was speaking of Al Harris.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Kelvin Sheppard looks interesting. Up and comer.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Yuck, mostly. Also, just a listicle to fill digital space and a deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Kelvin Sheppard looks interesting. Up and comer.
    Meh. Detroit's D went from really bad to decent over last season, and has regressed this year. I'm not sold on it. They win because of their offense (their OL, specifically) and when Aidan Hutchinson can disrupt a play or two.
    There are a lot of coaches and coaching staffs that will get fired on Black Monday. More and possibly better candidates could emerge.

Just knowing Al Harris I just believe he is gonna be a dawg and be an exceptionally aggressive coordinator.
    I went back on the thread posts and didn't know where exactly where to pick it up.

In any case....

I put my alleged mind to it and tried to remember any former NFL player that returned to his former team as a coach and was even respectable.

As noted earlier, for the Packers failed tenures are Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg.

After some rumination I can only come up with:

George Halas - yeah maybe a stretch but he did play for the Decaurter Staleys then bought them, moved to Chicago started the NFL and the freakin'n Bears became a power house.

Art Shell - Oakland Raiders - Never won an Owl, pretty damn successful.

Tom Flores - Oakland Raiders....IBID

Some of the um, more experienced posters here will probably come up with other examples (PB Max where art thou?) but letting fanboy shit get in the way makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    I went back on the thread posts and didn't know where exactly where to pick it up.

In any case....

I put my alleged mind to it and tried to remember any former NFL player that returned to his former team as a coach and was even respectable.

As noted earlier, for the Packers failed tenures are Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg.

After some rumination I can only come up with:

George Halas - yeah maybe a stretch but he did play for the Decaurter Staleys then bought them, moved to Chicago started the NFL and the freakin'n Bears became a power house.

Art Shell - Oakland Raiders - Never won an Owl, pretty damn successful.

Tom Flores - Oakland Raiders....IBID

Some of the um, more experienced posters here will probably come up with other examples (PB Max where art thou?) but letting fanboy shit get in the way makes no sense.
    Mike Ditka

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Mike Ditka
    Curly Lambeau. Maybe Dick LeBeau - I can't remember where he coached, but he played in Detroit, for one.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Curly Lambeau. Maybe Dick LeBeau - I can't remember where he coached, but he played in Detroit, for one.
    Surprisingly, LeBeau never coached the Lions. If coordinators got in the HOF, he might be in for coaching as well as being in as a player.