Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Packers vs. Saints Discussion Thread

Packers vs. Saints Discussion Thread

Packers lead all-time series 17-10.

Last meeting: September 12, 2021. Packers lost to Saints 38-3 on opening weekend in a game played in Jacksonville.

Saints are 1-0 after beating Tennessee Titans 16-15 week 1. They play on Monday Night week 2 at Carolina.

Derek Carr is now their QB. Chris Olave is their top receiver. With Kamara suspended, Jamaal Williams is their top RB.

Early odds have Packers favored by 2.

Moneyline: Saints +105, Packers -125

Over/under 43
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I was way off about the Atlanta game, naively thinking maybe Joe Barry finally figured out now to be a DC, and underestimating the Falcons running game. I had seen Bijan Robinson play at U. Texas, and he didn't seem that impressive.

As for the Saints, I'm probably gonna risk getting burned the same way again. Jamal Williams and whoever else don't run like Bijan. And Carr is a more traditional QB. Running QBs are always scary - the reason it seemed so impressive the way we handled Justin Fields. Why Barry wouldn't or couldn't apply some of the same stuff against Atlanta, I'm not sure. I think the Packer D will get the job done against New Orleans and Barry will get more credit than he deserves.

Even if Jones and Watson still can't play, I expect the Packers to move the ball and score pretty well, and I strongly suspect Jones to play.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Saints looked average at best tonight against Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Saints looked average at best tonight against Carolina.
    Saints defense has dominated, albeit against mediocre offenses. They're nothing special on offense.

They're going to start a practice-squadder at RB with Kamara suspended and Jamaal injured.

And if you get the chance, listen to the Saints' broadcast team. Deuce McAllister is a joy of a color analyst.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I was way off about the Atlanta game, naively thinking maybe Joe Barry finally figured out now to be a DC, and underestimating the Falcons running game. I had seen Bijan Robinson play at U. Texas, and he didn't seem that impressive.

As for the Saints, I'm probably gonna risk getting burned the same way again. Jamal Williams and whoever else don't run like Bijan. And Carr is a more traditional QB. Running QBs are always scary - the reason it seemed so impressive the way we handled Justin Fields. Why Barry wouldn't or couldn't apply some of the same stuff against Atlanta, I'm not sure. I think the Packer D will get the job done against New Orleans and Barry will get more credit than he deserves.

Even if Jones and Watson still can't play, I expect the Packers to move the ball and score pretty well, and I strongly suspect Jones to play.
    You watched Bijan play for Texas and your takeaway was that he wasn't that impressive??? Interesting take.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    They're going to start a practice-squadder at RB with Kamara suspended and Jamaal injured.

And if you get the chance, listen to the Saints' broadcast team. Deuce McAllister is a joy of a color analyst.
    And so, Barry won't think that the Saints will be able to run the ball and will play nickel defense the whole day as the Saints gash us over and over with the run.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    And so, Barry won't think that the Saints will be able to run the ball and will play nickel defense the whole day as the Saints gash us over and over with the run.
    Joe Barely. Ugh. He sucks. You're probably right. The guy seems to have no sense of how to respond to what an offense is trying to do.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I wonder sometimes if Barry himself or LaFleur or Gutekunst are exposed to this and other forums and postings to see how damn near unanimous it is among fans that Barry is totally worthless. I mean I can see them not being constantly swayed by fan views, but this has gotten so obvious that you'd think there would be some rumblings among the decision makers. Those of you who supposedly have inside knowledge if anybody, what if anything are you hearing?
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    You watched Bijan play for Texas and your takeaway was that he wasn't that impressive??? Interesting take.
    LOL yeah. I didn't watch him much but I could see the contact balance and the rare ability to make cuts at full speed. You never know for sure if they'll pan out in the pros until they play, but I think he's a future star at RB. He's gonna give a lot of teams problems.
    The Falcons and Bears share some similarities, except the Falcons actually spent FA money on defense in areas that should help them improve, and they already had a good OL and Allgeier. CHI is bottom quarter level talent still, ATL is not.
    Also, go back and watch some Justin Fields. That dude's confidence is shot. He's a fantastic athlete, but he's a slow processor with his reads and I think he doesn't trust himself or the offense anymore. After last year and these first 2 games, it sure looks like CHI has officially ruined him.

I haven't watched the Saints, but with no Kamara and no Jamaal they could have trouble running the ball, which is good for GB. Their OL is ok but not what it once was, and while Olave and Thomas are a good set of receivers I think GB can matchup and give them some trouble. Derek Carr is an average to slightly above average NFL starter, which isn't nothing but I'm not sure he's better than Jordan Love.

Hopefully Watson and Jones can play. Not having Elgton is worrisome. Does Bahktiari play? I don't trust Royce or Rhyan, and doubt they move Tom to LG and play Njiman unless they absolutely have to.
    This is probably a better matchup than ATL tbh. If they can pressure Carr and prevent Olave/Thomas from going off, they have a good chance. GB's run D is still not great but their secondary is pretty good.

They have some good players on D but I feel like a lot of them are old now. I wonder if GB's speed at receiver and using a lot of pre-snap motion will give them problems.

Bottom line: NO travels from CAR to GB on a short week, I think GB bounces back from a tough ATL loss and narrowly wins.

I have 3 issues with Barry as the DC hire:

(1) He's a nepotism hire who has a track record of poor results as a DC.
    (2) He hasn't shown much ability to adjust his scheme to fit his players, which is how you capitalize on their strengths and innovate.
    (3) For that matter, he's bad at adjustments, period. Especially in-game. He goes into a game with a plan and sticks with it, even if it doesn't work or the other team has figured out how to counter it. Exhibit A: Atlanta game. Sure didn't seem like they did much adjusting to stop the run in the 4Q. When a rookie is toting the rock all day at 6.5 yards a clip, you need to do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I have 3 issues with Barry as the DC hire:

(1) He's a nepotism hire who has a track record of poor results as a DC.
    (2) He hasn't shown much ability to adjust his scheme to fit his players, which is how you capitalize on their strengths and innovate.
    (3) For that matter, he's bad at adjustments, period. Especially in-game. He goes into a game with a plan and sticks with it, even if it doesn't work or the other team has figured out how to counter it. Exhibit A: Atlanta game. Sure didn't seem like they did much adjusting to stop the run in the 4Q. When a rookie is toting the rock all day at 6.5 yards a clip, you need to do something about it.
    Why didn’t he call a run blitz to mess with the QB-RB timing? Why didn’t he replace Enegbare or Ford after it was obvious they were picking on that combination? Why was Wyatt on the field when he was collapsed on the run on almost every play? Even changing up the spacing of the DL might have shortened some of those runs because the gap would have changed.

Some of the problems are personnel, but some are scheme. If we can see it, they sure ought to be able to see it from a booth at the top of the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Saints defense has dominated, albeit against mediocre offenses. They're nothing special on offense.
    Saints have longest run of holding teams under 21 points. Its over a season now. You don't do that by accident, that D is very good. My prediction is that we lose because they run for 300 yards and we can only put 17 on the board. Some people will blame our offense for being pathetic. Everyone will blame Joe Barry more.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Well, when you have a young QB and a young offense and players are moving pieces, in and out with injury, you're more likely to cut them some slack, as opposed to a defense with the vast majority of its pieces in place, and the vast majority of those pieces being first-rounders.

And defense is supposed to start faster than offense.

So I'm ready to lay another turd at Joe Barely's feet, for sure. Unless the Packers lose 9 - 7 or something.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Starting Saints safety Marcus Maye suspended for Substance violation. #alliteration

will miss Sunday's game.

I've been wondering about another one of the Packers' infamous third-round picks: Sean Rhyan. He's in his second year now, and the usual fluff pieces appeared during training camp: he learned his lessons, he's playing faster and better because now he knows how it all works, etc etc. Okay. Now Elgton Jenkins goes out and we get . . . Rolled Royce Newman. Didn't Jon Runyan start starting by his second year? Don't a lot of guards usually figure it out after year one and become starters?

This does not bode well for yet another Green Bay third rounder. If he can't displace Rolled Royce, he's not that good, I don't think.

KYPack

I think they plugged Royce in because it was mid-game and he'd done it before.
    I got the impression that Royce was not a given as the starter this week, it sounded like there would be "competition" for that, which I took to mean Rhyan and possibly Tom if he shifts over to LG and they put Njiman in at RT.

Jenkins has an MCL, which I took to mean he's out 4-6 weeks. Hopefully it's not more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think they plugged Royce in because it was mid-game and he'd done it before.
    I got the impression that Royce was not a given as the starter this week, it sounded like there would be "competition" for that, which I took to mean Rhyan and possibly Tom if he shifts over to LG and they put Njiman in at RT.

Jenkins has an MCL, which I took to mean he's out 4-6 weeks. Hopefully it's not more than that.
    MCL's can run 2-6 weeks. Packers have not yet placed Jenkins on IR, so they may be hoping it's less than 4.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Holy fuck, the Baby Spice Girl (Christine) is limited participation. The over/under for how many plays Watson will play Sunday is 2.5. Put me down for the under, Bobble!
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.