Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Saints

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    The axiom in the NFL for 40 years was to let a guy sit 2 years. In the FA era GMs weren't given that much time to build a winner so they started forcing these young guys into the mix immediately. The packers with their unique set up can still pull it off (although the drama from the guy currently holding the job is now a thing).

Sometimes the answer is simple and people over think it. Come to think of it, most of the time the answer is simple.
    Yeah I think not having an owner works in the team's favor. You don't have some impulsive schmuck like Irsay pushing the FO and coaching staff to play a guy before he's ready. These top 10 drafted QBs are all talented, given enough time I suspect more would pan out.

Buy/Sell/Hold

Run offense: Sell. The OL isn't blocking it up well, but they were basically playing backups at 3 spots by the end of the game. Dillon is a power back who runs with not enough power, and he's being forced to run outside too much. The entire process is a mess.
    Pass offense: Buy. Jordan Love is good. The vast majority of the time he makes the right read, shows great poise, and obviously has command of the offense. The OL pass pro has been decent, but that's more their forte vs. run blocking. The backups have acquitted themselves well enough so far, but they face a stiff test with DET. The receivers have been a mixed bag - about what you'd expect from rookies. Drops, missed adjustments on routes, and rookie mistakes are there... but so are the pure athletic feats and splash moments you'd rarely get from a Lazard or aging Cobb. I think this team could struggle mightily in the short term but could really be very good when/if they get healthy and the rookies get some seasoning.

Run defense: Hold. I think they were embarrassed after last week and played better. They weren't challenged like last week either, plus NO was down to playing depth/PS guys and Taysom Hill.
    Pass defense: Buy. Rashan Gary was a game wrecker, and Carr's injury helped kick the door wide open to a comeback. On rewatch, the coverage was decent, even from Ballantine most of the time when matched up against a much better player in Olave. Safeties did about what we expected, but didn't lose the game.

Special teams: Hold. The Shaheed PR TD was Darren Rizzi's middle finger to Mark Murphy. It was also the result of bad lane discipline (C'MON Bisaccia) and a punt by Whelan that was both a little too short in distance and hang time. Anders Carlson has played well so far (knock on wood). Amari isn't on the team.

Lots of stupid penalties hurt the offense in the first half and constantly put them behind the sticks. They also hurt the special teams. The team played extremely sloppy in the first half and tightened up enough to make a game of it while NO crapped the bed with a backup QB and a fluky FG miss at the end.
    This is basically a makeup for the ATL loss, but I'm on the fence as to whether this was a case of GB winning the game or NO losing it.

NO hadn't exactly beaten a murderer's row to get to 2-0 coming into the game, and their offense is not great without Kamara. I'm not sure what this says about GB, other than they played sloppy but stuck together and found a way to win. That's not nothing. It really was a mixed bag of a game and I think I'm still processing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap ������
    @KenIngalls

The 2023 Salary Cap is $224.8M.

Today the Green Bay Packers played & won a football game with $118.5M (53%) of cap space unavailable on the field.

Dead: $59.34M
    PUP: $3.25M
    IR: $1.03M
    Bakh: $21.34M
    Jaire: $10.76M
    Jones: $8.20M
    Jenkins: $6.97M
    Campbell: $5.53M
    Watson: $2.10M
    LOL Yikes. Yeah, I've seen some tweets to this effect re: GB and their cap spending vs. player availability. Only having 47% of your cap spending playing on a Sunday is not good, and certainly not sustainable for winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Certainly not. Your over-the-top, intentionally controversial and/or offensive post most definitely is trolling, however. Each to his own.
    Yeesh! Are you this boring in real life?

My points against Mr. Love still stand. I think you’re confusing “trolling” with not being a lackluster cuck, for what it’s worth. But as you say, to each their own.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Certainly not. Your over-the-top, intentionally controversial and/or offensive post most definitely is trolling, however. Each to his own.
    Hey, this is a teaching moment around the old PR campfire.

That post was an example of Skin's schtick.

Regardless its nice he's visiting from his old Kentucky home.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Schtick? Schtick!?

Why I neva!

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Regardless its nice he's visiting from his old Kentucky home.
    Old is the keyword. He is kinda like Howard Stern. No longer edgy or cool because his routine was never updated. At least his better half, Nutz matured into a Al Bundy type of persona. He shows up and blesses us with his draft knowledge and gives fatherly advice on a Reese Bobby level. I had always hoped Skin would turn into a modern day Manson but he never met his potential. It’s still nice when he leaves the survival bunker to connect to the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Buy/Sell/Hold

Run offense: Sell. The OL isn't blocking it up well, but they were basically playing backups at 3 spots by the end of the game. Dillon is a power back who runs with not enough power, and he's being forced to run outside too much. The entire process is a mess.
    Pass offense: Buy. Jordan Love is good. The vast majority of the time he makes the right read, shows great poise, and obviously has command of the offense. The OL pass pro has been decent, but that's more their forte vs. run blocking. The backups have acquitted themselves well enough so far, but they face a stiff test with DET. The receivers have been a mixed bag - about what you'd expect from rookies. Drops, missed adjustments on routes, and rookie mistakes are there... but so are the pure athletic feats and splash moments you'd rarely get from a Lazard or aging Cobb. I think this team could struggle mightily in the short term but could really be very good when/if they get healthy and the rookies get some seasoning.

Run defense: Hold. I think they were embarrassed after last week and played better. They weren't challenged like last week either, plus NO was down to playing depth/PS guys and Taysom Hill.
    Pass defense: Buy. Rashan Gary was a game wrecker, and Carr's injury helped kick the door wide open to a comeback. On rewatch, the coverage was decent, even from Ballantine most of the time when matched up against a much better player in Olave. Safeties did about what we expected, but didn't lose the game.

Special teams: Hold. The Shaheed PR TD was Darren Rizzi's middle finger to Mark Murphy. It was also the result of bad lane discipline (C'MON Bisaccia) and a punt by Whelan that was both a little too short in distance and hang time. Anders Carlson has played well so far (knock on wood). Amari isn't on the team.

Lots of stupid penalties hurt the offense in the first half and constantly put them behind the sticks. They also hurt the special teams. The team played extremely sloppy in the first half and tightened up enough to make a game of it while NO crapped the bed with a backup QB and a fluky FG miss at the end.
    This is basically a makeup for the ATL loss, but I'm on the fence as to whether this was a case of GB winning the game or NO losing it.

NO hadn't exactly beaten a murderer's row to get to 2-0 coming into the game, and their offense is not great without Kamara. I'm not sure what this says about GB, other than they played sloppy but stuck together and found a way to win. That's not nothing. It really was a mixed bag of a game and I think I'm still processing it.
    More to agree with than disagree here.

The run blocking will probably look a lot better with Aaron Jones running. As it was, they were decent if the expectation isn't too high. Dillon looked good early in the game - faster than previously and stronger too. As the game went along, though, he backslid some. I really hope they bring both Wilson and Taylor up to the 53 even when Jones is back. First of all, a rotation is a really good idea - keeping Jones healthy, etc., and secondly, I'd rather see either of them running than Dillon most of the time. So I'd Hold rather than Sell on the run game.

The passing game is a strong Buy. Love, as good as he is, is only gonna get better. I saw him interviewed, and he nailed it, saying his accuracy needs to improve. Knowing that is definitely a giant step toward doing it. His stats, good as they were, would have been even better if he had gotten statistical credit for the pass interference penalties - which the Saints basically had to do to prevent long gains. And of course, he apparently wasn't to blame for the one and only pick in 3 games. And that's not even mentioning the plethora of dropped passes. And he scrambled and ran way more than decently - damn near Fields or Mahomes level. Reed actually had a bad game and he still was a hero. Wicks is gonna be way more than just decent. Heath didn't look good at all, but he really stood out in the preseason, and I think will in real games too. He and Toure are not bad for being the bottom of the group. Doubs, the sky's the limit for him, and I for one still have superstar hopes for Watson. And Musgrave, he's gonna maybe be the best TE the Packers have ever had.

Run D: I think I would still Sell. I've noticed a trend about Barry: many times his D is decent early in the game. Then the other team adjusts, and poor ol' Joe just can't counter-adjust. Did it get worse when Campbell went out? The results seemed to say that, but I hardly saw Campbell make a tackle, but McDuffie was all over the field, sadly often 5-10 yards down field. It made me mad at the time that when Kenny Clark got too fired up and slammed the RB, damn Barry took him out for way too long. I was beginning to wonder if he got kicked out and the commentators didn't notice.

Pass D: Buy. Gary seems to be back healthy, and he was a real force. Preston was a non-factor, Engabare needs to look for like he did in preseason, and I think Van Ness didn't even play - I didn't see him. All of them should step up too if teams concentrate more on Gary. And the DBs. Rudy Ford and Savage were all over the field, again often too far downfield on run plays, but decent playing like Safeties in pass D. I think Carrington Valentine shut down Thomas until he got hurt - playing a lot like Jaire. And as you said, Ballentine was decent too when he came in. Douglas needs to stay as an outside Corner. He's damn good there. Considering no Jaire, they were more than decent against a team with a couple of star quality WRs.

Special Teams: Yeah, I'd say Hold too. A little too much holding hahahaha sometimes. That long punt return it seemed to me was on the punter - a low line drive kick right to the guy for a running start. Otherwise, the Teams pretty much held their own.

A 46 yard miss isn't exactly fluky. And I'm fairly confident that with 1:02 and a timeout left, Love woulda got us close enough for our rookie kicker to win the game.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Old is the keyword. He is kinda like Howard Stern. No longer edgy or cool because his routine was never updated. At least his better half, Nutz matured into a Al Bundy type of persona. He shows up and blesses us with his draft knowledge and gives fatherly advice on a Reese Bobby level. I had always hoped Skin would turn into a modern day Manson but he never met his potential. It’s still nice when he leaves the survival bunker to connect to the Internet.
    Hey pot! I mean that in the kettle way. Nutz hasn’t evolved, he’s devolved into a suburban socialite. You could just say you missed me and skip all the drama, because on my many year journey away from here, I’ve learned a lot, and all that lot has only reinforced that the Skinbasket was right all along. I’m like that crazy bitch from the lord of the rings who doesn’t want the ring but then does and goes all bonkers and glows and turns it down but still has all the knowledge gleaned from wanting it. It’s complicated. You wouldn’t understand.

Blog Entries
    That's a big ..."Look who is fucking talking"!!!
    To both of you.

You guys post more.

We're sick of making fun of Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Yeesh! Are you this boring in real life?

My points against Mr. Love still stand. I think you’re confusing “trolling” with not being a lackluster cuck, for what it’s worth. But as you say, to each their own.
    Wait, this isn't real life? I need some time to think about what this means.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Hey pot! I mean that in the kettle way. Nutz hasn’t evolved, he’s devolved into a suburban socialite. You could just say you missed me and skip all the drama, because on my many year journey away from here, I’ve learned a lot, and all that lot has only reinforced that the Skinbasket was right all along. I’m like that crazy bitch from the lord of the rings who doesn’t want the ring but then does and goes all bonkers and glows and turns it down but still has all the knowledge gleaned from wanting it. It’s complicated. You wouldn’t understand.
    Pardon me for saying you could have been Manson. Obviously you would have been more Jim Jones with all your koolaid drinking talk.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Did a little digging and the endzone pass to Jayden Reed that was knocked loose by the Saints player's knee while he was on his back was indeed a touchdown. Stupid zebras.
    The NFL has only botched that call like 800 times since flip flopping the rule.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Skin and APB are pretty similar. It just depends on which schtick bothers you. I happen to be entertained by both so....

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Buy/Sell/Hold

Good breakdown Run. I read it all even though I usually glaze my eyes after a paragraph from most posters (myself included).

I feal Ds will adjust to Love, but the lack of a healthy OL is hurting the entire offense. The team has a lot of room for improvement.

And that's what we all will need to remember, at least about the offense. They're very young, and with the offensive line hurting, we need to be patient. They're going to screw up because they're so wet behind the ears and the O-line is getting hit with the I-Bug.

But the defense....that I have less patience for.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I know. I've been around long enough to know this. It's just not anywhere near as funny or clever as he thinks.

Weird, our preferences. Skin’s I’m fine with, but APB’s, not so much.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Weird, our preferences. Skin’s I’m fine with, but APB’s, not so much.
    I'm okay with it, but that's different than enjoying it.

For clarity, I was annoyed with the attempt to deflect by characterizing his original post as just not drinking the blended Kookaide.

That paints everyone else as a crazy extremist and him as just having a run of the mill normal position and post. In reality, he was intentionally over the top in his counter position. Yes, it's is style. I can still point out the hypocrisy.
    Last edited by sharpe1027; 09-28-2023 at 07:47 AM.