Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers vs Lions Discussion Thread

Packers vs Lions Discussion Thread

Packers lead all-time series 105-75-7. 103-75-7 in regular season, 2-0 in playoffs.

Last meeting: January 8, 2023. Aaron Rodgers' last game as a Packer. Lions defeated the Packers 20-16 to eliminate Packers from the playoffs. Jamaal Williams ran for 72 yards and 2 TD's. Christian Watson had 5 catches for 104 yards.

Lions come in 2-1. Jared Goff has thrown for 819 yards with 5 Td's and 2 INT's. He has been sacked just 3 times. David Montgomery was their leading rusher with 141 yards and 2 TD's through 2 games, but missed Week 3 with a thigh injury. Jahmyr Gibbs has rushed for 139 yards. Amon-Ra St. Brown is the leading receiver with 21 catches for 275 yards and 1 TD. Rookie TE Sam LaPorta has 18 catches for 186 yards and 1 TD.

Lions defense has given up 676 passing yards with 4 TD's and 1 INT. They have allowed just 216 rushing yards for a 3.2 YPC. They have sacked the QB 8 times.

Lions have won the last 3 meetings between the 2 teams.

Opening line has Lions favored by 1.5.

Moneyline: Packers +100 Lions -120

Over/under 45
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

They held Falcons in check in defense/rushing.

Tons of injuries on a short week.

Lions have owned us for last 5 years or so… gonna be a fun/close game.

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/09/...outputType=amp

The Packers will need some of their horses back if they plan to win this one.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Packers passed on drafting safety Brian Branch, who is playing well. I wasn't a big fan - I don't think he's speedy? - but he's playing well.

So is their rookie TE. Not sure if they drafted him after Muskrat Lukie or before.

Lions' pass rush is ferocious. Better hope Bakh is back and Tom's injury is not severe.

When Detroit's o-line is healthy, it's very, very good. But they are banged up.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Bill Huber
    @BillHuberNFL

Had #Packers practiced:
    Gary limited, Jones limited.
    Alexander, Bakhtiari, Campbell, Tom, Jenkins, Watson would have been DNP.

On Tom: "I think anytime a guy isn't able to finish, it's a concern. He's doing better today."

If Watson can’t play Thursday, then he should have been put on IR at the beginning of the season.

Not feeling optimistic about this one. Injuries, plus GB won't be able to play as sloppy vs DET as they did vs. NO. They have 27 penalties in 3 weeks...that's bad.
    Haven't looked at who is hurt for DET, but GB's injuries have been a problem.

Good to see so many OL on the Lions report. Hopefully those are all starters.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

The Lions are still the Lions - overrated by many. Goff is still the Goff of past seasons.

If we have a tough time at all, it will be Joe Barry's D trying to stop the run, and I'm fairly sure Love and our passing game will overcome whatever the D give up.

I think LaFleur rolled the dice and calculated that the Packers could beat New Orleans without several of those borderline injury cases. I fully expect Aaron Jones to be back and running wild in this game, with a definite maybe on Watson. Jaire, I don't know. Not much has been said about what kind of a back problem he has. Either way, Valentine looked damn good against better WRs than Detroit has - assuming the bicep doesn't keep him out, which I doubt.

It kinda appears that the Lions have been hit with injuries too, maybe even worse than the Packers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The Lions have a record of 10-10 versus the Packers since 2013.

Better than the Vikings 8-10-2
    And Bears 3-18

We always overlook the seemingly hapless Lions. In reality they’re our biggest rival of the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post

And Bears 3-18

We always overlook the seemingly hapless Lions. In reality they’re our biggest rival of the last decade.
    They may have had the most success against us, but I wouldn't make that the determining factor of who's been our biggest rival. The Vikings and Bears have both presented much more of an overall roadblock to winning the North over the last 30 years.
    Last edited by SudsMcBucky; 09-26-2023 at 10:19 AM.

Not last year. Not the last game of the season last year.

Both teams have been hit hard by injury. For the Loins, it's mostly the offensive line - look how many of those guys are on the injury report. And when healthy, they have a good, very good, offensive line. I don't think the Packer D could hold up to that line, if it were healthy. And the Packers drafted the wrong St. Brown - little brother Amon Ra has been their go-to wide receiver. He's really good.

Look for Jamyr Ghibbs - or however you spell that RB's name - to have Bijan Robinson-versus-the-Packers type of numbers in this game. Similar guys, I think.

I'm going to guess The Flower is going to sit a bunch of guys again, so they get an extra ten days, then come back with a fuller deck of cards. Jones might play, and possible Bakh, but I'm guessing a lot of the other guys will be missing.

This is gonna be a tough one. Our defense - they drag guys down, they push them out of bounds - their defense? They hit. Hard.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Not feeling optimistic about this one. Injuries, plus GB won't be able to play as sloppy vs DET as they did vs. NO. They have 27 penalties in 3 weeks...that's bad.
    Haven't looked at who is hurt for DET, but GB's injuries have been a problem.
    They are playing like a very young team with talent. Penalties. Bonehead plays. Blowing a game late, but winning one late. At 2-1 the talent is clearly there, but we haven't looked great and our 3 opponents weren't contenders. We likely drop this one, but having Detroit travel on a short week helps the cause.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    The Lions are still the Lions - overrated by many. Goff is still the Goff of past seasons.

If we have a tough time at all, it will be Joe Barry's D trying to stop the run, and I'm fairly sure Love and our passing game will overcome whatever the D give up.

I think LaFleur rolled the dice and calculated that the Packers could beat New Orleans without several of those borderline injury cases. I fully expect Aaron Jones to be back and running wild in this game, with a definite maybe on Watson. Jaire, I don't know. Not much has been said about what kind of a back problem he has. Either way, Valentine looked damn good against better WRs than Detroit has - assuming the bicep doesn't keep him out, which I doubt.

It kinda appears that the Lions have been hit with injuries too, maybe even worse than the Packers.
    You really never do change your mind do you? When the Rams signed Goff to that huge deal I laughed my ass off. However I have to admit the obvious. Goff has been pretty good last year and this so far. The Lions look like a real football team. I'm not crowning them anything yet, and I like our young talent more, but the Lions have a future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Not last year. Not the last game of the season last year.

Both teams have been hit hard by injury. For the Loins, it's mostly the offensive line - look how many of those guys are on the injury report. And when healthy, they have a good, very good, offensive line. I don't think the Packer D could hold up to that line, if it were healthy. And the Packers drafted the wrong St. Brown - little brother Amon Ra has been their go-to wide receiver. He's really good.

Look for Jamyr Ghibbs - or however you spell that RB's name - to have Bijan Robinson-versus-the-Packers type of numbers in this game. Similar guys, I think.

I'm going to guess The Flower is going to sit a bunch of guys again, so they get an extra ten days, then come back with a fuller deck of cards. Jones might play, and possible Bakh, but I'm guessing a lot of the other guys will be missing.

This is gonna be a tough one. Our defense - they drag guys down, they push them out of bounds - their defense? They hit. Hard.
    This. We need a hard nosed DC that gets guys to play with attitude. I'm sick of the fat mike "staying in your lane" defensive mentality. Rashan Gary might be the type of guy to change all that (speaking of changing my mind on a player).

Two of the defenses the Packers have faced are top 10 in both yards and points allowed. When the offense faced a bad defense, they put up 31. Detroit defense ranks 11 and 15. If Packers offense reduces the penalties, I think they can get to 20-25. That is, if they can put together a decent offensive line.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 09-26-2023 at 10:51 AM.

We'll see, but I still think the Lions are not much good. And good or bad (I'd say mostly bad), Goff is mostly a stationary QB. QBs like Fields and the Atlanta guy are scary and basically can make something out of nothing many times. Goff is just gonna sit there and be prey for Gary, and I'm expecting a big game from our other pass rushers too. And the younger better St. Brown is a far cry from Michael Thomas and Olave.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post

And Bears 3-18

Wow, that's shocking to see those numbers. But yeah, the numbers prove you're right about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    They may have had the most success against us, but I wouldn't make that the determining factor of who's been our biggest rival. The Vikings and Bears have both presented much more of an overall roadblock to winning the North over the last 30 years.
    Fair… but as division wins are the most important element to division titles… wouldn’t that mean the Lion’s losses hurt more? Obv it ended our season last year. And took a miracle Hail Mary to beat them (which was needed for us to sneak into playoffs) a few years ago (Rodgers to Rodgers).

Rival is determined by the rabid-ness of the fans, media. I think everyone looks at the Pack as their biggest rival. And we always ignore the Lions (but maybe that should be up for debate).