Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Packers vs Lions Discussion Thread

DET has won 3 of the last 4.

They have a very good if banged up OL.
    Ben Johnson, the DET OC, has Jared Goff playing about as good as he ever has or will play.
    They are a physical team that will beat you if you make mistakes or don't punch back.

St. Brown and La Porta could cause some problems if Barry doesn't plan for them.
    The rookie Gibbs is a nice all purpose weapon as well. DeVondre is probably out or at least limited in this game so Quay will have a lot on his plate.

Kind of a coin flip game and hard to say because of injuries on a short week.
    I'm rooting for GB of course, but if I had to pick I'd go with DET in a close one.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    DET has won 3 of the last 4.

They have a very good if banged up OL.
    Ben Johnson, the DET OC, has Jared Goff playing about as good as he ever has or will play.
    They are a physical team that will beat you if you make mistakes or don't punch back.

St. Brown and La Porta could cause some problems if Barry doesn't plan for them.
    The rookie Gibbs is a nice all purpose weapon as well. DeVondre is probably out or at least limited in this game so Quay will have a lot on his plate.

Kind of a coin flip game and hard to say because of injuries on a short week.
    I'm rooting for GB of course, but if I had to pick I'd go with DET in a close one.
    Detroit won both last year. The one they won in 2021 deserves an asterisk because Packers pulled their starters at halftime and Lions didn't. In the first game last year Packers moved the ball but were a disaster with their red zone offense. Rodgers threw 2 red zone interceptions. In the second one the Lions DL ran a lot of stunts and twists which were successful. With Bakhtiari and Jenkins out, will likely see more of that.

Biggest concern is whether the Packers will be able to run the ball at all. Packers #23 rush offense will go up against the Lions #5 rush defense.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If Bakhtieri and Tom are both out, along with Jenkins, I just can't see a way this offense will be able to get anything going, whether or not Aaron Jones and/or Crustian Watson play. That means Goff, if his patched-together offensive line is better than Green Bay's patched-together offensive line, has the advantage, as the Packers' run defense cannot match that of the Loins.

And if Jones can't play, I'm thinking that The Flower will devise a game plan that basically puts it all on Jordan Love.

I think it's going to be too much for this young Green Bay team. The X-factor will be the health of each team's offensive line, and who has better backups.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Reportedly, Jones is supposed to play. I think he was actually close last week. I imagine both will be brought back gradually. Still would be great to have them back.

If they can have Jones, Jaire, Watson and Tom playing, I like their chances.

If they can have Jones, Jaire, Watson and Tom playing, I like their chances.
    It definitely improves them. FWIW, Jackson, Nelson, Ragnow and Vaitai all show up on ourlads.com depth chart as starters, so they are beat up on OL as well. If GB's DL can get pressure on Goff, that could change things. I'd be downright shocked if they didn't test Joe Barry's run defense, especially after watching the ATL tape.

DET will be without CJ Gardner Johson and James Houston (both on IR) but their defense should be improved from last year. If Royce Newman (who has been ok off the bench) has to pickup a stunting Aidan Hutchinson all game, GB is in trouble.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    If the Packers can pressure Goff we win, if they give him time it could be a long day.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Bakhtieri and Tom are both out, along with Jenkins, I just can't see a way this offense will be able to get anything going, whether or not Aaron Jones and/or Crustian Watson play. That means Goff, if his patched-together offensive line is better than Green Bay's patched-together offensive line, has the advantage, as the Packers' run defense cannot match that of the Loins.

And if Jones can't play, I'm thinking that The Flower will devise a game plan that basically puts it all on Jordan Love.

I think it's going to be too much for this young Green Bay team. The X-factor will be the health of each team's offensive line, and who has better backups.
    I've said over and over - with a lot of static from a lot of people, O Line beyond just the bare minimum really doesn't make much difference. Well, that idea is probably gonna get tested this week. I expect Aaron Jones to run wild and Dillon and (hopefully) Wilson and Taylor in the rotation also to get decent yardage despite no sacred cow, no Jenkins, and possibly no Tom too. Conversely, the Lions are likely missing their top RB and several O Linemen, and it's still worrisome that Joe Barry's run defense is still gonna get shredded.

I do expect the Packer pass rush to get home a LOT, and I do expect Love to have another great game, and I do thoroughly expect a Packer win.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

The falcons ran for 200+ yards vs the Pack and the next week less than 50 vs the Lions. And you think we’re going to run all over the Lions with an injured line and questionable RBs? I won’t be shocked if we have under 100 from Jones/Dillon and hope Love can get 2-3 1st downs on his legs.

That and our run defense is still rather suspect, so the Lions could use Gibbs to get outside and gash the defense, then use play action to get time to throw.

This Loins team actually smells different this year.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Last edited by Joemailman; 09-27-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Nijman and Walker are serviceable.
    Newman, Meijer and Runyan are…. Serviceable. Runyan is better, Newman worse, but as a whole, serviceable.

We still have a chance without Bakh, Jenkins and Tom.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I would think Tom would play.

Bakh out again....this is getting ridiculous!

I wish I could collect a paycheck year after year and do nothing.

What’s more ridiculous is people on Twitter calling him soft and saying have integrity and give the money back. Literally swearing at him and calling him pussy and bitch.

It’s insane. People have lost their minds.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I don’t think the name-calling is appropriate, but the Packers made a calculated risk on Bakh and lost.

They have kept hanging on and hoping he can play for almost three years now. He did play 11 games last year, but I’m sure the staff held their breath every single week wondering when the next missed game would occur or if he would reinjure himself. What have we wasted, $50M, $60M?

They should have dumped him along with his contract last year. I will not be surprised if ends his career with the Packers riding the pine.

It really is a shame, but his knee will likely never be the same. Stokes is in the same boat, but Bakhtiari gave us a lot of good years and it's not as if they're desperate for cap space right now. He should retire after this season.

Way too much money for a player who does not play.
    Note to Matt : stop the horizontal run plays to Dillon.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Packers placed LT David Bakhtiari (knee) on injured reserve.
    Injury
    2m ago
    Source: Ian Rapoport