Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Lions - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    You worked your way completely through the process to the conclusion I have drawn. There is a lot of talent on that D, it just isn't playing as a unit. Even Savage hasn't been a dumpster fire this year. I honestly can't point to one area and say they don't have the talent. Even Rudy Ford is playing good enough. But they are playing on their heels. Not to lose if you will. I want aggression. I want a guy who should be a high school gym teacher as my DC.
    Agree. I feel like I've been saying "whole is less than sum of its parts" to describe this defense since the mid-Pettine era. Gute has put a lot of draft capital into the defense, at the expense of the offense. I would expect he is drafting players that are good scheme fits.
    He has drafted "projects" like Rashan Gary who have worked out, and some who haven't. There's a certain amount of luck there with the player there (do they have the heart and brain to work hard and learn to be a good pro?) but I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the coaching the players are getting.

Purely cherry picking a coach -- Jerry Montomery has been with the team since McCarthy as DL coach. Can you name a player he's managed to develop into a good pro? (He inherited Kenny Clark.) Would Slaton count?
    Ben Sirmans is an ok RB coach.

Stenovich was a better OL coach than current OL coach Butkus, but I think Luke Butkus isn't bad.

The defense and running game were supposed to carry this team early, and both aren't doing the job well. The youth movement is largely on the offense, so experience shouldn't be an excuse for the defense's failings IMO.

Oh yeah, Luke Butkus - I just got through saying in another thread that I couldn't even remember the name of the Packers O line coach. I say again, I certainly would not give the guy a pass just because of injuries for the poor play of the O Line against the Lions. On the other hand, I don't want to do what I've criticized others for: panicking, claiming it's a trend, whatever. This was one bad game. Undoubtedly the Packers will bounce back strong and the O Line, even with the injuries will get back to opening holes for Aaron Jones, etc. as they have more often than not.

One thing I have to give the panicky "ya'all crowd" in here credit for is not piling on LaFleur (or did I just miss it when ya'all did hahahaha?). I read a couple stupid media things blaming him, and I suppose ultimately things do fall on the head coach. But the thing about not using Aaron Jones enough, etc., I have to think that is either because of lingering effect of his injury or else being hyper-cautious not to get him re-injured. I have said, and I say again, I'd like to see more of a rotation at RB with Wilson and Taylor getting more carries. It seems like people are coming to the conclusion (that I had much earlier) that the other sort of sacred cow of many people, A.J. Dillon (and his type of RB) is not what we need to have running the ball in most situations.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I haven't seen people panicking. It was a really shitty game and that's been the discussion.

Tex, try a different narrative please.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I haven't seen people panicking. It was a really shitty game and that's been the discussion.

Agree. I'm definitely not panicking. This isn't a Bears forum.
    2-2 is about where I'd expect them to be honestly. Last year they looked like a BAD team for a long stretch of the season. This year they just look young and inconsistent...maybe that's a "No Rodgers and His Old Crew" effect. I think if they can get healthy and play with more crispness and consistency -- which should come with experience -- they'll be fine. If you predicted between 7 and 10 wins for this team, it's still not out of the question IMO.

After watching the Bills and Eagles this year, I sure don’t feel real good about the 23’ Packers. We have a fairly easy schedule and a lot of young players who could get better.

I don’t like our chances this year, but we have a chance in the long run.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I had modest expectations for them this year, given the changes on offense. Jordan Love has been a bit better (so far) than I expected, tbh, and injuries have really hit them hard early which is a shame. That aside, I thought they'd be about a .500 team. Normally I wouldn't think them even a wildcard contender,but with how bad the NFC was looking on paper overall they have a very slim chance. There's still a lot of football left in the season.

I do think that if Love pans out to be even above average this team will be in good shape in the very near future.

You haven't seen dumbasses talking about "tearing down to rebuild" and a bunch of "we're not worthy" shit? Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    You haven't seen dumbasses talking about "tearing down to rebuild" and a bunch of "we're not worthy" shit? Yeah right.
    Not sure about "we're not worthy" but yea, I want to jettison all players who are near the end of their time with the team if we can get some picks. This team isn't going far in the playoffs if they even make it. I wanted to trade Bak in the spring, probably AJones as well. These were the two guys with value that won't be around in 2 years. Maybe Bak couldn't have passed a physical and we couldn't move him, idk. And Jones is a great team mate and his value is multi faceted so I'm not upset about keeping him. However moving on from Amos, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers....it was time.

I totally forgot Preston Smith. If you can get a 3rd for him, it would be the right time.

So yes, I have been all in on the tear down because...well, we had no choice. That is a far cry from "the sky is falling" or whatever else you are trying to pretend people are saying.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Back to the point of "more banjo". At the end of the half we had 3 seconds left and ball at midfield and we ran a play. Why not trot out Anders and take the shot. He has the leg to hit from 67 and I would think the chance to put up points is better on a FG than a play where they can defend the goal line. Anyone else wonder about that?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I've mostly seen a fairly balanced discussion about why we sucked so bad. Which we did.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Back to the point of "more banjo". At the end of the half we had 3 seconds left and ball at midfield and we ran a play. Why not trot out Anders and take the shot. He has the leg to hit from 67 and I would think the chance to put up points is better on a FG than a play where they can defend the goal line. Anyone else wonder about that?
    I was the same bobble. It didn’t seem like it was impossible distance to try. Instead they went in with tails tucked after a bunch of messy attempts.

Not sure about "we're not worthy" but yea, I want to jettison all players who are near the end of their time with the team if we can get some picks. This team isn't going far in the playoffs if they even make it. I wanted to trade Bak in the spring, probably AJones as well. These were the two guys with value that won't be around in 2 years. Maybe Bak couldn't have passed a physical and we couldn't move him, idk. And Jones is a great team mate and his value is multi faceted so I'm not upset about keeping him. However moving on from Amos, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers....it was time.

I totally forgot Preston Smith. If you can get a 3rd for him, it would be the right time.

So yes, I have been all in on the tear down because...well, we had no choice. That is a far cry from "the sky is falling" or whatever else you are trying to pretend people are saying.
    Most of that is fairly sensible, although trading Jones cheap would be a recipe for getting worse. The Packers have always rebuilt on the fly - which, of course, is smart, NOT tearing down the team to rebuild which is what the stupid loser teams do. Yet some in here talk like they'd prefer to be like those loser teams, especially now that there is a flash of quality for the Lions after decades of crap hahahaha.

I've mostly seen a fairly balanced discussion about why we sucked so bad. Which we did.
    For one bad game hahahaha - and some dumb shits are panicking like it's the end of all good football. I don't know whether you are that stupid, but some certainly are.

Mark my words, the Packers will still finish the season with a better record than the shitheads' latest favorite, the Lions.

There were a couple instances earlier this season in which The Flower passed on long attempts to try to get a first down, and ended up with sacks or incompletions. I’ve wondered if they’re protecting Carlson a bit, trying to build his confidence. I of course do not know their thinking, but in his prime McCarthy would send the Masonator out on the off chance he could hit that 60+ yard kick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    There were a couple instances earlier this season in which The Flower passed on long attempts to try to get a first down, and ended up with sacks or incompletions. I’ve wondered if they’re protecting Carlson a bit, trying to build his confidence. I of course do not know their thinking, but in his prime McCarthy would send the Masonator out on the off chance he could hit that 60+ yard kick.
    Yea, me and my friends watching all went with the confidence angle. No other good reason to not take that shot. I can understand wanting to keep him from missing for as long as possible to build him up so when he does finally miss its almost a relief.