5 Sun 2023-10-08 3:05PM Philadelphia Eagles @ Los Angeles Rams
    5 Sun 2023-10-08 3:25PM Kansas City Chiefs @ Minnesota Vikings
    5 Sun 2023-10-08 3:25PM New York Jets @ Denver Broncos
    5 Sun 2023-10-08 7:20PM Dallas Cowboys @ San Francisco 49ers
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

CBS Early - Much of the country, including Great Lakes and Alaska and Hawaii will get Baltimore at Pittsburgh. Ian Eagle and Charles Davis with the call.

CBS Late - Most of the country except for Mountain zone will get Kansas City at Minnesota. Jim Nantz and Tony Romo with the call.

Fox Single - Upper Midwest and Dakotas will get Carolina at Detroit. Chris Myers and Daryl Johnston with the call. West Coast, including Alaska will get Philadelphia at Los Angeles Rams (Late). Kevin Burkhardt and Greg Olsen with the call.

Washington is playing so bad that the Bears look good.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Fields looked good. In the beginning anyway. I didn’t watch too much of the game. Watching now. I somehow think the bears are gonna snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Fields has physical talent. The running, can throw the ball accurately and wherever he needs to with arm strength when he knows where he’s throwing it. So he’ll have flashes. And who knows, maybe he could be good still. It’s possible but I doubt it. I’d love to see fields play well enough that the Bears pass up on a QB. Because I don’t think he’s it and the longer they try, based on flashes, the better for us.

Just enough talent to tease. Totally agree the Bears should stick with him and pass up possible franchise QB's and then finally take another Fields/Trubisky/etc.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

DJ Moore reminds me of Sterling Sharpe.

Congrats to the Bears - a big win on a sad night for their franchise.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Congrats to the Bears - a big win on a sad night for their franchise.
    You’re gonna need a new avatar with Jordan Love in that group…. Well, loves gonna have to prove it so maybe a year or two from now.

I’d like to sign Justin Fields as a running back and gadget quarterback. You can do enough with him that he’s a hell of a lot better than Taysom Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    You’re gonna need a new avatar with Jordan Love in that group…. Well, loves gonna have to prove it so maybe a year or two from now.
    Yeah, maybe. If he earns it, I'll try that.

Fields is damn good. I have always hated the Vikings, but I had grudging respect for Tarkenton. Fields kinda reminds me of him.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Yeah, maybe. If he earns it, I'll try that.

Fields is damn good. I have always hated the Vikings, but I had grudging respect for Tarkenton. Fields kinda reminds me of him.
    Yeah. You might be right too. Early in the year it seemed like they were really forcing him to read defenses and master that whole proven craft of “taking what the defense gives.” Brady was the true master of that style and almost every successful quarterback mostly uses that ability as the centerpiece of their game. Distributing the ball. That’s what a qb does. And knowing where to distribute it. That’s what good quarterbacks almost always know.

Now Fields is a little different. He’s a legit NFL running back with elite arm talent. Accuracy, arm strength, the ability to really run the ball. He’s different.

It sure looks like he has cognitive limitations. I can’t imagine him ever being truly elite because just the nature of football, being able to distribute the ball to your athletes seems infinitely more valuable than running. Even though fields can distribute a dime when he knows what the coverage is. So he can distribute too.

He’s really just different. Different than what usually succeeds. But he does enough things well to be dangerous in a different sort of way. He’s going to need health more than other quarterbacks. That makes it less likely for him to string together years of dominance. He’ll age out of some of his running ability. That makes it less likely he’ll be an all timer.

I do think he’d get max benefit from staying with one group of open minded coaches for a long time. They can push, push, push, push him to expand the mental part of the game all offseason, and then each year suit him up and let him rip with the parts of the game he gets.

Even with the potential of him dominating in his own way, I’d prefer the Bears keep him vs drafting the next great ball distributor in the NFL. I’d rather see 8 more years of Fields before he falls apart like Newton than 18 years of Brady, Manning, Brees or Rodgers.

I think Fields is a remarkable athlete and great runner. As a passer he has the arm, but I'm not sold on the accuracy always being there. I think he's a slow processor and struggles to work thru his reads/progression quick enough and that causes him trouble. I also think he's a product of OSU's offense which maximized what he's good at and some of that just doesn't translate to the pros. Reading half the field, etc. I do agree that if you tailor your system to his strengths you can move the ball and win some games. He also needs a solid OL, something he rarely has had. He gets sacked a LOT. Fields requires specific roster moves and schematic ideas to maximize his ability, and a lot of teams just can't or won't do that.

Their OL was really good last night against what should be a good defensive front. They were opening some holes for the running game, and gave Fields some time to throw. DJ Moore ate the WAS CB alive. 230 of Fields' 282 yards went to Moore, that's not sustainable. Thursday games can be fluky but WAS looked bad on defense and they have more R1 picks and talent than GB does.

The Bears are still bad. They'll have two very high R1 picks, so I suspect Eberflus is gone and they take a QB. They were set up for all kinds of good things last offseason and didn't really do a lot smart: they have the top pick, but they trade it for DJ Moore and a right tackle. They trade away Roquan and let guys like Robert Quinn go to get all kinds of cap space, but then they sign a couple of off-ball LBs to big contracts. Ryan Poles does a smart thing and then a dumb thing. Fields could likely be gone and they take a new QB and ruin him.

I actually like Fields quite a bit and have been rooting for him. I don't hate the Bears, just can't stand Bears fans, whose only greatness is being more intolerable than Vikings fans.

I just watched half way through this video and QB school shows real clearly what Fields problem is: he has a long ways to go and may never get there imo. He lacks anticipation. If he can somehow develop that, he'll be dangerous. Glad the Bears finally got him a receiver but considering his learning curve they needed to get him more help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7FQSBZA9-4

We’re panthers fans today.

1. We don’t want the Bears to have the option to take the top QB this year. Fields can do some things. And he might even tear it up for a few years. He’s 24, so those legs can be lethal for another 6 or so years. I’d rather face that than Peyton Manning, Drew Brees or Mahommes for 20.

2. The Lions lead the division.

Go Panther. Keep pounding!

Lions missing Gibbs and the good St. Brown receiver (how could the Packers scout older brother Equanamious and NOT then take the better little brother the next year?). Jameson Williams making his debut. Panthers a mess, trying to wreck Bryce Young’s career by throwing him out there as a rook with a crummy team around him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

It's admittedly unlikely, but I wouldn't bet against Carolina upsetting the Lions. Despite the rotten game the Packers had against them, the Lions are NOT an elite team. They will lose a lot of games this year, maybe this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Lions missing Gibbs and the good St. Brown receiver (how could the Packers scout older brother Equanamious and NOT then take the better little brother the next year?). Jameson Williams making his debut. Panthers a mess, trying to wreck Bryce Young’s career by throwing him out there as a rook with a crummy team around him.
    St. Brown was taken early in the 4th round, so everybody missed on him. Did I mention that the Packers took Amari Rodgers in the 3rd round?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    St. Brown was taken early in the 4th round, so everybody missed on him. Did I mention that the Packers took Amari Rodgers in the 3rd round?
    You're rubbing it in, Joe.

It's the opposite argument than the "well, the guy was drafted before the Packers could've picked him" argument. I think this may be one result of what happens when you draft a guy so specifically for a position - Amari Rodgers was supposed to be the next slot receiver. Ugh. I do hope they got Jayden Reed right, since they could've drafted Brian Branch to play slot corner.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I don’t know if they teach it in Carolina, but they have a hilarious way of smoking niggas in the hip that leaves a dude limping

We need to incorporate that.