Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dick Butkus Has Died

I was 11 years old in 1969 when the Bears went 1-13. I remember wondering how a team with Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers could be that bad.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    He reminds me of Aaron Jones in that he can going north south at 100 and still make lateral moves to avoid contact without slowing his downhill momentum at all.

He had better top end speed for his era
    And he had better contact balance

So better. But that 100% downhill speed while still avoiding contact is very Aaron Jones like.
    Even though you say a lot of stupid shit this post is got to be dumb as fuck stupid. Aaron Jones like? Crazy gypsy, Sayers is the one you should be comparing Jones to! I only saw NFL films of him but obvious he was a man among boys. Something equal to 1998 Moss for our age group where he was a threat to score on any play. Sounds like Sayers merited the same fear for Patler’s generation.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Even though you say a lot of stupid shit this post is got to be dumb as fuck stupid. Aaron Jones like? Crazy gypsy, Sayers is the one you should be comparing Jones to! I only saw NFL films of him but obvious he was a man among boys. Something equal to 1998 Moss for our age group where he was a threat to score on any play. Sounds like Sayers merited the same fear for Patler’s generation.
    He can't make the comparison that way. He watched Jones play his entire career and has only seen clips of Sayers.

I actually think its a pretty good post as he pulled out an apt comparison and backed it up with a why. I can't compare Jim Brown to anyone as I didn't get to see him play. I also didn't get to see sayers. I heard a lot of "barry sanders is like sayers" back when, but its hard to comp out guys that we never saw. I'll give RG some credit here for a solid comp and he clearly says Sayers was better.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I don't think RG was talking quality so much as style. Yes, Sayers was scary good, and I go back far enough to remember that. I put him way above Payton and Emmett Smith and a bunch of other great RBs, probably better than anybody except Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson, better by a small margin than Barry Sanders.

The comparison to Aaron Jones, though, is distinguishing him and Sayers from bruisers like Brown and shifty or whatever you would call Sanders - who danced around and got away better than anybody in history. The best way to say it is Aaron Jones is a lesser version of Sayers.

bobblehead, I'll give you credit - as I do occasionally but not often for getting it pretty much right too. And as for Jim Brown, I DID see him, and he doesn't compare to anybody, he compares to everybody. He had speed right up there with Sayers and O.J., and he had the power of Earl Campbell or for the current generation, Derrick Henry. Shiftiness? Maybe not, but he just plain didn't need it.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Thanks tex, thats kinda what i was saying. Style. Barry Sanders juked and jived. Other guys were power, others a mix, others vision, or pass catching.

Not a lot of guys go downhill like Sayers and Jones but somehow still get out of the way while going forward at 100 miles an hour. They usually have to put a foot in the ground and slow down, but sayers and Jones weave while going full speed.

That was the comp.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Sayers was faster for his era and seemed like guys bounced off him a little more. But that downhill, weaving style that you rarely see is similar.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    Well damn you got two dude willing to blow you. Great job.

Even though you say a lot of stupid shit this post is got to be dumb as fuck stupid.
    Sorry JH, but I couldn’t agree more with this, some of the stuff you come up with makes my eye twitch.

Blog Entries
    I think RG infected me with his rage virus like the movie 28 Days Later.

Well damn you got two dude willing to blow you. Great job.
    It was more of a handjob really.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.