Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dick Butkus Has Died

Dick Butkus Has Died

He, along with Jim Brown, were the two greatest players I have ever seen.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Yep. Chicago and the University Of Illinois produced Ray Nitschke and Dick Butkus in a span of 7 years. 2 toughest players I ever saw, but Butkus' speed probably gave him the edge. He'll always be remembered for his ferocious hitting, but he also had 22 career interceptions.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    He, along with Jim Brown, were the two greatest players I have ever seen.
    THE Monster of the Midway. I believe my Opa used to serve him in the 70’s at a bar/restaurant called The Golden Ox.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Hated but RESPECTED by Packer fans.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    RIP. Never saw him play outside of NFL Films but obvious he was larger than life. Saw a violent dude on the field but seemed like a good guy overall. Players today owe gratitude to legends like Butkus for helping make the league the giant money machine it is today. You old timers got to see some hard hits back in the day.

That’s a cool stat on the INTs. Considering they threw a lot less he must have caught everything that hit his hands.

Nitschke had more interceptions than Butkus. So did Joe Schmidt, Sam Huff and Nick Buoniconti. All middle linebackers with careers overlapping Butkus. All played more games than Butkus, but their stats show that Butkus was not unusual as a pass defender. Nitschke in his prime was as violent tackling, Butkus was more violent getting to the tackle. He didn't take on blockers, he often blocked the blockers, hitting them as hard as he did ball carriers. He smashed his way through blockers, getting to the tackle.

Many outside linebackers in those days, like Dave Robinson, had more interceptions too.

Yes, there were a lot fewer passes thrown in those days, but the good linebackers, like those above, didn't come off the field for extra DBs in passing situations, and pass rushing and block rules were so different that QBs were often hit as they threw, with dying quail passes ending up in the arms of linebackers. Coverage rules allowed contact until the ball was released, allowing linebackers to stay with RBs and TEs.

Very different game in those days.

Damn Patler, nice to see you, old timer!!

I was a little worried not hearing from you for a while. Glad you’re doing well and still sharp as a tack.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Nitschke had more interceptions than Butkus. So did Joe Schmidt, Sam Huff and Nick Buoniconti. All middle linebackers with careers overlapping Butkus. All played more games than Butkus, but their stats show that Butkus was not unusual as a pass defender. Nitschke in his prime was as violent tackling, Butkus was more violent getting to the tackle. He didn't take on blockers, he often blocked the blockers, hitting them as hard as he did ball carriers. He smashed his way through blockers, getting to the tackle.

Many outside linebackers in those days, like Dave Robinson, had more interceptions too.

Yes, there were a lot fewer passes thrown in those days, but the good linebackers, like those above, didn't come off the field for extra DBs in passing situations, and pass rushing and block rules were so different that QBs were often hit as they threw, with dying quail passes ending up in the arms of linebackers. Coverage rules allowed contact until the ball was released, allowing linebackers to stay with RBs and TEs.

Oh my good god Patler I am SO glad to see you back! Some of the newer rats need to get edumacated.

And what a good post to do so. As always, you actually back your opinions with evidence, and you often educate us, or many of us, in the process.

Damn. I can't believe how happy I am that you're back. Don't be a stranger. I'd be mightily interested to hear your thoughts on Gutekunst, LeFleur, this year's Packer team, and of course Love. Not hate, though. I'm getting tired of hate.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries

DANG, WHERE YOU BEEN ?

I feel like I should make some stat up so I can get Patlerized It's been too long.

Welcome back !
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky, how can we get Patler to keep posting?? I think we'd all benefit by his take on this year's team, and Guter, and MLF, instead of the shit posters like you and me throw out there.

KYPack

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn Patlerized me hard on your valiant return!! I would have thought the LBs would skills-wise be more like DEs today. Very surprising they all caught so well. They probably would do well in todays game still.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    I would have thought the LBs would skills-wise be more like DEs today. Very surprising they all caught so well. They probably would do well in todays game still.
    Nitschke also played fullback in college, Butkus played center.

Nitschke also played fullback in college, Butkus played center.
    It's weird what a good run da Bears had at middle linebacker. I never saw Bill George play, but I've seen a bit of highlight film. Wow.

Also weird to think someone as absolutely legendary as Butkus only played eight years. In today's terms, that's only two contracts. If only the medical care was as good as it is now . . . you wonder how long he might've played.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Also weird to think someone as absolutely legendary as Butkus only played eight years. In today's terms, that's only two contracts. If only the medical care was as good as it is now . . . you wonder how long he might've played.
    Yup, and Gayle Sayers only really played five years, although he hung around two more but only played in four games the last two years. His career consisted of just 68 games.

Yup, and Gayle Sayers only really played five years, although he hung around two more but only played in four games the last two years. His career consisted of just 68 games.
    I saw him on TV as a kid, a couple times. In my estimation, he was better than Walter Payton.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I saw him on TV as a kid, a couple times. In my estimation, he was better than Walter Payton.
    I agree.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Sayers could score any time he touched the ball. He was shifty as heck running and receiving, with decent power too. He always seemed to be on the verge of breaking away. He didn't always return punts or kickoffs, but when they needed a score, there he would be, back receiving a punt and getting a long return. If they were falling behind after an opponents score, there he would be as a kickoff returner. I was always relieved when he wasn't back for kicks. In a few short years he had a bunch of return TDs.

As Packer fan, I "feared" Sayers more than I did Payton.

Sayers could score any time he touched the ball. He was shifty as heck running and receiving, with decent power too. He always seemed to be on the verge of breaking away. He didn't always return punts or kickoffs, but when they needed a score, there he would be, back receiving a punt and getting a long return. If they were falling behind after an opponents score, there he would be as a kickoff returner. I was always relieved when he wasn't back for kicks. In a few short years he had a bunch of return TDs.

As Packer fan, I "feared" Sayers more than I did Payton.

There you go.

He was bigger and lankier than I remember.

KYPack

He reminds me of Aaron Jones in that he can going north south at 100 and still make lateral moves to avoid contact without slowing his downhill momentum at all.

He had better top end speed for his era
    And he had better contact balance

So better. But that 100% downhill speed while still avoiding contact is very Aaron Jones like.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Blog Entries
    There were a lot of things that ran thru my mind when I heard Dick passed away. He is in the very highest tier of all NFL players. I went back and watched some tape and observed some of his skills that had slipped my mind. He was so great at his tackling mechanics. At 6,3" 245 he would hammer runners chest to chest. At the same time, he would wrap up the rb's arms and crash them into the ground. His goal was to make the back loosen his grip on the ball to break his fall. By the 3rd quarter or so, that's what would happen. Dick was also a demon at tearing the ball out for a strip during the tackle. Most of the time he would double up the play by recovering the football.

I loved to watch him play, but not vs the Pack. Sayers and Butkus were Packer killers during their time in Chicago.

Dick made one play that I'll never forget. He blitzed and sacked the QB. The passer made a flip pass just before he hit the turf. His desperation toss was competed 5 yards downfield to a TE. Like a blur, Dick got off the ground and made the tackle! A near sack + a tackle of the receiver? Not a real common play.

Rest in peace Dick.

Hope they have beer up there or wherever you are.