Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Newman was so bad last year he needs to be replaced. Rhyan hasn't really shown me much to this point and I have no confidence in said jump. My point stands that people are giving Gutes accolades based off Tom and Walker both breaking out last year. He really isn't landing pro bowlers in rounds 3-7. Given the depth of this draft our 1st round pick really should be CB or OT, most likely OT. And honestly I would be thrilled if we took another one at pick 41 (I think is the pick). We have 3 studs. Lock down the other 2 positions and we are set for a decade with probably the best OL in football. The game is won in the trenches. Then with our other 2/3 round picks we can look at other areas of need, while still focusing on BPA. The BPA at 1 will almost certainly be a tackle or CB.
I don't disagree with you, but I also think that his odds on hitting big are low when you have Jenkins, Myers and Rhyan as the only non-Day 3 picks. The accolades likely come from finding his starting tackles in Day 3 (Tom in R4, Walker in R7) -- that is almost unheard of considering most starting OTs are early picks if not R1 picks. The fact that they got as many starts from a R6 pick like JRJ is pretty good value. Newman looked like he was going to be ok based on his rookie year but has not done well since.

I don't think Gute has been amazing at drafting OL or anything but he's gotten pretty good value from some of his picks. Given the quality at OL in this draft class and their current roster/depth chart, I expect them to lean heavily into that OL draft class with their picks.