Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Bishop is definitely on the radar. He tested really well, but I'm not sure he was exposed to the competition you would like for a guy stepping right in to start. Honestly I think Gutes feels the roster is "ok" right now and while he might reach for DeJean as the "perfect piece", if its not there he could just draft BPA all the way.

Off ball LBers are kind of like RBs to me. Instincts/motor trump athleticism. You can find decent ones all over the place and the key to their success is often keeping them clean. I'd love a draft that goes DeJean, PWilson, JMorgan without trading. Or maybe its more likely to go DeJean, JMorgan, ECooper. In any event what I expect from Gutes is something completely unpredicted by any of us.
For what it's worth, I've read two Gutekunst interviews in the last few days in which he was asked about safeties, and he's specifically said he prioritizes versatility - a guy who can go sideline to sideline and cover fast WRs if he's playing deep, or just as easily come down into the box and thump a running back. He wants a guy who's basically 1B to McKinney's 1A, so the DC has the widest variety of options for what looks he gives the QB.

In both interviews, he later said (when asked about Dejean) that DeJean is very close to that safety. For whatever it may be worth.

I don't think we get him without trading up, so I guess the question would be, how far does he have to slip before Gute decides he's worth a mid-round pick. I don't think Bishop checks as many boxes as DeJean, though, but... you can't always have everything.