Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers #25 picks:

2004: Ahmad Carroll
    1999: Antuan Edwards
    1967: Don Horn
    1936: Bernie Scherer

Better trade the pick.
    Now THAT is a shitshow roster of draft picks.

I have read that ol’ Cooper DeQueen is pretty stiff in the hips - maybe that’s why no agility drills. He doesn’t seem as godlike as has been posted on Packerrats.

But what do I know? I’m right maybe half the time. Maybe.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Now THAT is a shitshow roster of draft picks.

I have read that ol’ Cooper DeQueen is pretty stiff in the hips - maybe that’s why no agility drills. He doesn’t seem as godlike as has been posted on Packerrats.

But what do I know? I’m right maybe half the time. Maybe.
    I think the thing about him is his versatility. I don't think he'll necessarily be a perennial Pro Bowl guy, but he'll be well above average wherever a team plays him. I have heard he has some stiffness in his hips. With his size, if he didn't, he'd be a top 10 pick.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I have read that ol’ Cooper DeQueen is pretty stiff in the hips - maybe that’s why no agility drills.
    He definitely has issues changing directions. He tries to slow down to make cuts. It's most obvious in the punt return highlights, but it's there in the coverage.

Trey Taylor S Airforce, anyone like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuldhoMAGg

Quote Originally Posted by jklowan View Post
    Trey Taylor S Airforce, anyone like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuldhoMAGg
    Has the size and athleticism the Packers like despite average speed. Probably best suited for box safety. Likely late round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Seems every year there's at least one of these draft prospects that does something stupid right before the draft. I think it was the DLineman, Carter, last year? He still went in the 1st round, but dropped.

Think he's completely off some teams' draft boards now because of this? His combine showing wasn't too good too if I remember.
    He didn't test well athletically, and I read today that he'd had a history of partying but was telling prospective NFL suitors that his partying days were behind him. Then he was arrested with that DWI.

Now there's a Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment if I ever saw one. I know they're young, but you'd kinda think, with so much on the line (contracts are slotted for cripes' sakes), these young bucks would lay off the partying for a couple of months. Or use Uber.

Though a friend of mine and I did get driven into Detroit last weekend via Uber by a guy on crack.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    He definitely has issues changing directions. He tries to slow down to make cuts. It's most obvious in the punt return highlights, but it's there in the coverage.
    After watching some more film and the fact that he skipped agility drills at his pro day I agree. I actually no longer want him at 25. I was a fanboy until recently, but the OL depth and talent level means I will be disappointed if they draft anything else when we pick.

DeJean is probably a safety in the NFL and while we have a need, I don't want to use a 1 on a guy who hasn't played the position a ton. I would love him at 41 though as his size, athleticism and straight line speed would make for a good safety.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Seems every year there's at least one of these draft prospects that does something stupid right before the draft. I think it was the DLineman, Carter, last year? He still went in the 1st round, but dropped.

Think he's completely off some teams' draft boards now because of this? His combine showing wasn't too good too if I remember.
    Yeah, Jalen Carter was involved in a car crash - basically he was drag racing with other UGA staff and plauers and the other car crashed and people died. He fled the scene but came back later.

I like T.Sweat's tape but he's not going to be a 3 down player and he's also not a great fit in Hafley's 4-3. That plus this latest dumbfuckery will drop him down boards, and word of him liking to party (He was arrested at 2pm in the afternoon on a Sunday) is a major red flag. Yeah, he's young and immature, but what happens when he gets a bag of money and is expected to be a pro? GB has a pretty full DL room now, but I could see them sneaky pick one late. Kenny Clark's contract is up and they might go younger there, but I'd rather keep Clark.
    The Boyd kid from NIU was brought in for a top 30 visit, look for him to be a Day 3 prospect for GB.

If Sweat was there in R4 or 5 I'd think about it, but he'll be gone by then. When he's motivated and keeps his pad level low he is an absolute load and IOL will get bowled into the QB's lap. I saw it sometimes, but not enough. Kind of a shame, was enjoying the image of Garrett Bradbury trying to handle him and failing miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    After watching some more film and the fact that he skipped agility drills at his pro day I agree. I actually no longer want him at 25. I was a fanboy until recently, but the OL depth and talent level means I will be disappointed if they draft anything else when we pick.

DeJean is probably a safety in the NFL and while we have a need, I don't want to use a 1 on a guy who hasn't played the position a ton. I would love him at 41 though as his size, athleticism and straight line speed would make for a good safety.
    I'm not a fanboy, but I'd be okay with him at 25. But okay if they go in another direction.

I'm starting to wonder if Gute might be higher on Edgerrin Cooper than a lot of people are expecting. He drafted Quay Walker higher than a lot of people expected too.

I'm not a fanboy, but I'd be okay with him at 25. But okay if they go in another direction.

I'm starting to wonder if Gute might be higher on Edgerrin Cooper than a lot of people are expecting. He drafted Quay Walker higher than a lot of people expected too.
    Agree. I'm ok if they go with either Cooper: Dejean or Edgerrin. Seems like Cooper Dejean is a 50/50 shot to be gone by 25.

They brought EC in for a Top 30, and he fits their need and profile: young, athletic, etc. They need OL depth, but they have their likely starters under contract, so picking a LB at 25 is on the table for sure.
    Personally, if they take EC I'd prefer they trade down and somewhere in the 30-35 range, or hope he falls to them at 41. I think 25 is a bit rich for E.Cooper, but by then all the true R1 prospects are likely to be gone.

I'm at the point where I'm 'BPA all the way'. Draft doesn't line up with their needs, so just pick the best players/talent. With all the picks they have, they should be able to fill the roster holes that way and then thru the 2nd wave of FA and cuts.

Quay made sense in the end. He has special measurables. The way he moves for a guy his size...I just hope halfwit can get the most out of him.

I will say this about DeJean. If they draft him to play safety he could be the next Nick Collins. His size, tackling, speed and instinct all play well. I won't be upset if they pick him I guess, I just really want a dominant OL. The game is still won in the trenches unless you have Patrick Mahomes.

top 30 visits: GB bringing in Kool-Aid and Jermaine Burton , who is a steal if he's there in R3. Very good athlete with production in SEC to back it up.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lis...ce=parsely-api

packerswire's list is a little different from acmepackingco's. If they did bring in Trevin Wallace that would be an interesting late round ILB.

Omar Brown and Chris Edmonds are sneaky interesting as safety prospects, and Kiran Oladipo would be a large box safety.
    I realize a lot of people like him, but Amarius Mims scares me. A lot of time as a backup or injured for such a highly touted prospect. Clearly a gifted athlete, but seems like dude gets hurt walking onto the field.

My hot take - RAS focused too much on weight. That guy seems like a good agile athlete, but not particularly fast. How are they scoring off the charts in RAS?

The thing that makes me not too too concerned about DeJean is that he breaks down and tackles so well. A lot of players with stiff hips, they can't really do that. Would we really cry with a possible Harrison Smith at 25?

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    The thing that makes me not too too concerned about DeJean is that he breaks down and tackles so well. A lot of players with stiff hips, they can't really do that. Would we really cry with a possible Harrison Smith at 25?
    Put another "Harry the Hitman" into the defensive backfield with Xavier McKinney, and I think we'd see a very different defense than we've seen in Green Bay in a hell of a long time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Yeah, Jalen Carter was involved in a car crash - basically he was drag racing with other UGA staff and plauers and the other car crashed and people died. He fled the scene but came back later.

I like T.Sweat's tape but he's not going to be a 3 down player and he's also not a great fit in Hafley's 4-3. That plus this latest dumbfuckery will drop him down boards, and word of him liking to party (He was arrested at 2pm in the afternoon on a Sunday) is a major red flag. Yeah, he's young and immature, but what happens when he gets a bag of money and is expected to be a pro? GB has a pretty full DL room now, but I could see them sneaky pick one late. Kenny Clark's contract is up and they might go younger there, but I'd rather keep Clark.
    The Boyd kid from NIU was brought in for a top 30 visit, look for him to be a Day 3 prospect for GB.

If Sweat was there in R4 or 5 I'd think about it, but he'll be gone by then. When he's motivated and keeps his pad level low he is an absolute load and IOL will get bowled into the QB's lap. I saw it sometimes, but not enough. Kind of a shame, was enjoying the image of Garrett Bradbury trying to handle him and failing miserably.
    He blew in the little machine at 330 AM. Ya know,. the cocktail hour. Maybe they booked him at 2pm, but the action took place in the early morning hours. The guy was faced.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    Put another "Harry the Hitman" into the defensive backfield with Xavier McKinney, and I think we'd see a very different defense than we've seen in Green Bay in a hell of a long time.
    Harry the Hitman?

How about Harry "Son of Chuck" Cecil?

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    My hot take - RAS focused too much on weight. That guy seems like a good agile athlete, but not particularly fast. How are they scoring off the charts in RAS?
    So your hot take is size doesn't matter?? Ok, I know you are saying it focuses too much on weight not that it doesn't matter. Personally I think it should focus on body composition. A big fat guy can't gain quality size at all. He can gain athleticism while maintaining size possibly, but he can't gain size for sure. A lean fit guy can gain size without sacrificing athleticism. Its definitely a balance and perhaps RAS does focus on weight too much. RAS is after all like any model...you get out of it what you set the parameters for the input.

In 2016, Platte said that Size (height and weight) made up 20% of the score. Bench is another 10% of score.
    https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...-why-they-work

I think it's fair to look at size outliers and be wary.
    Even with his size, bench and explosion numbers IDK how AJ Dillon was a 9.15 RAS. His 10 yard and agility numbers were not great. It's certainly possible there's some adjustments being made for size to those (41" vert is impressive no matter what, but especially at his weight) and it does feel a little distorted.

GB doesn't use RAS, but they have some similar measurement they use - I suspect it is tailored by position and puts higher importance on agility and explosion measurements.

All of that aside, I'll be captain obvious and say you have to go off film. Game tape and GPS tracking data from games (and practice) can reveal a lot about a player. Training for weeks to master combine drills can mask things tape can't. Tape tells you if you're a good player, drills tell if you're a good athlete. I also like the adage that you don't double-count combine drill performance in your grading - it should be evident on tape already. If it's not, go back and rewatch, and question why there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So your hot take is size doesn't matter??
    Interesting......my wife has the exact same hot take.