Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    wasn't gute really calling the shots at that point? at least thats what murphy said

or was that a different draft?
    I'm pretty sure Gutes was the defacto GM by then. There was a point where ted went from drafting football players to drafting athletes. Pretty sure Gutes was calling the shots at that point.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'm pretty sure Gutes was the defacto GM by then. There was a point where ted went from drafting football players to drafting athletes. Pretty sure Gutes was calling the shots at that point.
    There's no question Thompson had declined and wasn't doing everything he had once done. But I think Thompson may have still been making the draft picks, even if others in the room disagreed. Considering how much Gute has prioritized drafting and signing EDGE rushers, I doubt he would have passed on Watt if it was his call.

https://www.espn.co.uk/blog/green-ba...t-three-drafts

Passing on Watt and trading down meant the Packers picked up an extra fourth-round pick from the Browns.

But it wasn’t just any pick. It was the first pick of the third day of the draft -- a coveted spot because teams might want to jump up and trade into that spot for a surprise player who was still available.

Instead, Thompson used that pick on Watt’s college teammate and fellow Wisconsin pass-rusher Vince Biegel.

New Packers GM Brian Gutekunst, a longtime Thompson underling, saw so little in Biegel that he cut him at the end of his second pro training camp this past summer, even though he played just 121 snaps as a rookie after a foot injury delayed his start. Biegel, who is now with the Saints, has yet to record an NFL sack.

“Just about everyone was on board with Watt,” one source familiar with the Packers’ draft-room discussions said. “The only reservation was some people thought he was a one-year player [in college].”

The source did not know why Thompson couldn’t be swayed by those in the room. After failing to acquire starting-caliber cornerbacks in previous drafts, Thompson went with King, whose history of shoulder problems did not scare off Thompson.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen