Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    The Packers are set to pick where in the 1st round? 25th?

That’s Sherrod, Bulaga, Verbra, Michels, Cletidus, Datone Jones territories. Hell, name one fat Yokozuna the Packers drafted anywhere in the first round,1992-onwards, who turned out to be a bona fide All-Pro in the Green and Mustard Yellow.

Clifton and Iranian Stallion rank 1-2 as the best tackles to don the Green and Mustard Yellow, 1992-onwards, and they weren’t 1st rounders. Harrell was a bust. Raji was a tease who quit on the Packers.

As president of the National Organization of Fans Against Tubbiness in Sports - NO’FATS - trust me when I say this: drafting Yokozunas in the first round is wasteful.
    From a Steelers article in 2019 assessing lineman, all pro and pro bowlers along with draft position.

Tldr, if you need to find a top prospect OL - draft them early.

https://steelcityblitz.com/where-to-...-in-the-draft/

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    From a Steelers article in 2019 assessing lineman, all pro and pro bowlers along with draft position.

Yeah there have been other studies on where All-Pros have been taken. (I think Andy Mertig on Pack-a-day podcast?)
    Shocker - most of the time it's in the first round. That's where you'll find highest level of talent. That said, some positions have enough later round picks where a case can be made for drafting later.

Just going by process of elimination, it's unlikely Gute will take a CB in R1 because they have plenty signed and paid Nixon like a starter. RB? No prospects. Same for S and LB, unless they really reach. They aren't taking a QB. History plus the roster likely rules out WR and TE.

That pretty much leaves you with OL or DL (including EDGE).

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post

To paraphrase Tex, who gives a fuck about the other teams? Ever since Wolf took over as GM, the Packers have been miserable at drafting Yokozunas in the first round - that is a fact.

Clifton, Tausher, Bak, Lang, Sitton, Wells, Linsley, hell, even the Fucking Center, among others, weren’t 1st rounders. If German Shepherd is smart, he’ll heed historical data, 1992-onwards, and refrain from drafting an offensive lineman in the first round in the upcoming draft. Avoid a defensive tackle like the plague, too.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    To paraphrase Tex, who gives a fuck about the other teams? Ever since Wolf took over as GM, the Packers have been miserable at drafting Yokozunas in the first round - that is a fact.

Clifton, Tausher, Bak, Lang, Sitton, Wells, Linsley, hell, even the Fucking Center, among others, weren’t 1st rounders. If German Shepherd is smart, he’ll heed historical data, 1992-onwards, and refrain from drafting an offensive lineman in the first round in the upcoming draft. Avoid a defensive tackle like the plague, too.
    Except they haven't been terrible. You have shown some success in other rounds. That doesn't make them terrible in the 1st. I broke down the ones you named. It wasn't a bad success rate.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.