Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Doesn't matter to me if they take an OL in R1 or not. It's more important that they bring in competition and depth. Even if Sean Rhyan takes the next step and is an average NFL starting RG, they are one injury away from playing Royce Newman.

Go back and watch how the OL blocked in the LV game. They had some bad early season performances, including when Dillon basically ran into the back of Jenkins and got him hurt. They can and should absolutely get better with drafting and coaching.

I think it's highly likely they do spend a R1 on OL. It's a virtual lock that they will pick an OL before Round 4, possibly more. 5 top 100 picks in a draft with good OL depth? You know Gute is shopping there. (I think they will take a flier on one or two on Day 3)

If they sign Love to a $50M/year deal and have Josh Jacobs signed to all that money, you darn better invest in an OL to block. Your star QB gets hit and injured, your season is sunk.
    Au contraire to your last line, say Deputy Nutz and Tex. Sean Clifford is sitting on the bench, awaiting his chance at stardom.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Nutz says that too? I guess I'm in good company.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Over/under on where some guys will be picked. Barton could be our guy!

Look who lands at 41....payton wilson.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Look who lands at 41....payton wilson.
    Payton Wilson?

I think he's so old already he's talking about retirement.

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

25 years ago today the Packers drafted Donald Driver.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

25 years ago today the Packers drafted Donald Driver.
    And then 90% of the fan base spent the better part of the next 3 years bitching about him dropping passes.

I think the Packers signed Andre Dillard. If I’m not mistaken, this is one of bobbles walk of shame predictions.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I think the Packers signed Andre Dillard. If I’m not mistaken, this is one of bobbles walk of shame predictions.
    From what I've read, Dillard is a swinger.

KYPack

https://x.com/Pack_Daddy/status/1781148311606403136

I finally have something to contribute to our pre-draft analysis
    All tyrannies rule through fraud and force, but once the fraud is exposed they must rely exclusively on force.

George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Injuries derailed him from being better, but last year he blew. He will fill a backup swing tackle role. If you recall I liked him but my exact position was that instead of taking Gary we should trade back and take Burns or Sweat. I'm pretty sure I was on point overall in that draft. We all swing and miss on college guys. Tony Mandarich was a once in a lifetime tackle and Tom Brady was barely draftable. I have many misses indeed. I still can't explain why Dillard with his ridiculous footwork can't be a lockdown Tackle, but he isn't.

I'll crow a little bit. Within a week of the draft I was asking why we took Rhyan ahead of Tom. And don't make me talk about Allen Babre (who is another walk of shame prediction).

Thinking to the TJ watt/kevin king fiasco I'm positive DeJean will be available at which point we will move back and take someone awful in the 2nd round.

Thinking to the TJ watt/kevin king fiasco I'm positive DeJean will be available at which point we will move back and take someone awful in the 2nd round.
    That was TT's last draft. If Gute had been GM, would he have taken Watt?

That was TT's last draft. If Gute had been GM, would he have taken Watt?
    wasn't gute really calling the shots at that point? at least thats what murphy said

or was that a different draft?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    wasn't gute really calling the shots at that point? at least thats what murphy said

or was that a different draft?
    I'm pretty sure Gutes was the defacto GM by then. There was a point where ted went from drafting football players to drafting athletes. Pretty sure Gutes was calling the shots at that point.

I'm pretty sure Gutes was the defacto GM by then. There was a point where ted went from drafting football players to drafting athletes. Pretty sure Gutes was calling the shots at that point.
    There's no question Thompson had declined and wasn't doing everything he had once done. But I think Thompson may have still been making the draft picks, even if others in the room disagreed. Considering how much Gute has prioritized drafting and signing EDGE rushers, I doubt he would have passed on Watt if it was his call.

https://www.espn.co.uk/blog/green-ba...t-three-drafts

Passing on Watt and trading down meant the Packers picked up an extra fourth-round pick from the Browns.

But it wasn’t just any pick. It was the first pick of the third day of the draft -- a coveted spot because teams might want to jump up and trade into that spot for a surprise player who was still available.

Instead, Thompson used that pick on Watt’s college teammate and fellow Wisconsin pass-rusher Vince Biegel.

New Packers GM Brian Gutekunst, a longtime Thompson underling, saw so little in Biegel that he cut him at the end of his second pro training camp this past summer, even though he played just 121 snaps as a rookie after a foot injury delayed his start. Biegel, who is now with the Saints, has yet to record an NFL sack.

“Just about everyone was on board with Watt,” one source familiar with the Packers’ draft-room discussions said. “The only reservation was some people thought he was a one-year player [in college].”

The source did not know why Thompson couldn’t be swayed by those in the room. After failing to acquire starting-caliber cornerbacks in previous drafts, Thompson went with King, whose history of shoulder problems did not scare off Thompson.

Did a 5 round interactive mock draft with a few trade downs and ended up with 6 3rd round picks.

25 Troy Fautanu - OT - Washington
    58. Kingsley Suamataia - OT - BYU
    64. Javon Bullard - S - Georgia
    83. Jaden Hicks - S - Wadhington St.
    88. Jaylen Wright - RB - Tennessee
    91 Brandon Dorlus - EDGE - Oregon
    95. Jeremiah Trotter - LB - Clemson
    97. Blake Fisher - OT - Notre Dame
    99. Cam Hart - CB - Notre Dame
    126 Cedric Gray - LB - North Carolina
    149 Renardo Green - CB - Florida St.
    169 Malik Mustapha - S - Wake Forest

I would not be against trading down with the idea of picking up a 2025 pick.
    They have plenty of picks this year; the draft will be in GB next year and having an extra Day 2 pick is a positive.

They might also need DLs and a WR depending on how performance and contracts
    (TJ Slaton and Kenny Clark are FA, Wyatt in Year 4 with 5th year option to decide).

Pick 25 has a history of moving, it will really be up to how the board falls and who's there that Gute likes.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post

Pick 25 has a history of moving, it will really be up to how the board falls and who's there that Gute likes.
    Gutekunst's 1st round pick has a history of moving - he's only stood pat in Round One 3 of the 6 years he's been here. He's made a total of 4 trades in the 1st in his first 6 drafts, trading up for Love, Alexander, and Savage. Historically, it's more likely that he'll trade up in the first than stand pat.

Seems like if we squat down and just refuse to trade there's a very good chance we miss out on a CB, but a pretty good chance we get one of the DTs or a good OL. I do feel we need a CB more, but maybe the value this year is to just stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Seems like if we squat down and just refuse to trade there's a very good chance we miss out on a CB, but a pretty good chance we get one of the DTs or a good OL. I do feel we need a CB more, but maybe the value this year is to just stay put.
    We can likely get a better OT in the 2nd than we can a CB and as you say, the need at CB is greater. This is a good year to move up.