Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

edit: oops
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I'm starting to like the idea of taking a RB, maybe even Braelin Allen, not necessarily in the first round, but more likely in the second.

If we could get a guaranteed star, I'd advocate taking a O Lineman, but it's hard to not think about generations of Mandarich, Sherrod, etc. I don't think we need a Corner or Safety, at least not early. I strongly don't think we need a Receiver or Edge Rusher. Maybe ILB early, but you have to pick and choose very carefully there. It might be better to take on 3rd or 4th round. D Line? The way Barry's D uses them doesn't justify a first round pick.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

BPA all the way, of course, but I think they will (and should) lean heavily towards OL, S and RB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a chance on a Day 3 corner.

I'm out on Brealon Allen. Big RBs like him rarely succeed, and I'm not sure what he does that is better than AJ Dillon. What traits does he have that are better than Dillon? Both are big dudes who run upright. The NFL DLs are bigger and stronger than any on the college level.
    I wouldn't touch a RB before R3 unless they were near-generational level. The opportunity cost at other positions is pretty high. Was Dillon worth a R2 pick? Would you feel better if he were a R3 or R4 pick? I'd be fine with them not taking a Day 2 RB, especially if it meant finding the next Nick Collins, Mike McKenzie or a James Jones. It won't matter who they have at RB if their run blocking doesn't improve.

I think they've got enough needs - offensive linemen (plural), safety (maybe safeties), a corner (I'm concerned that Alexander is becoming injury prone and will continue to be) - that I wouldn't spend anything more than a third (and even that's iffy for me) for a back. Unless, as run said, they're near-generational.

I'm wondering if Gutes picks two, maybe in later rounds.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

With the Packers now holding the 20th pick in the draft, a lot of people are looking at Cooper DeJean of Iowa. He's played CB last 2 years at Iowa, but was recruited as a safety and has the build to play there. (6-1, 209). Packers love their Hawkeyes.

Current Draft Projection and Summary

On my board, DeJean grades out as a top-25 prospect in the 2024 NFL Draft who could feasibly challenge for top-15 capital, depending on schematic preference. It remains to be seen whether or not he’ll unseat Kool-Aid McKinstry as CB1, but DeJean is firmly in the Round 1 CB discussion.

DeJean’s traits and style mesh particularly well with zone and off-man schemes. He’s an explosive, gliding athlete at 6’1″, 209 pounds, with stellar space management skills, zone awareness, route IQ, and reaction quickness, and he also has the rapid closing speed to trigger and wash in front of ill-fated throws.

Naturally, with his mass, DeJean doesn’t quite have elite fluidity. He’s fluid enough with exceptional corrective athleticism, but there are times when he struggles to sink on sharper transitions. Nevertheless, DeJean has great discipline and foot speed in press-man, and he can use his length and physicality to dictate releases as well.

The tape evaluation speaks very favorably of DeJean’s diagnostic tools, both physical and mental. And at the end of the day, the production corroborates his talent. He’s a prolific ball hawk with unmatched playmaking statistics and a support defender with all-encompassing range, physicality, and utility.

There’s an outcome where DeJean splits time between the boundary, the slot, and field safety at the NFL level. Ultimately, he’s an extremely role-versatile player based on the game script. Let him manage and play in space, and let him crash downhill and attack blocks. Either way, he’ll produce from whichever alignment he takes on these jobs.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    BPA all the way, of course, but I think they will (and should) lean heavily towards OL, S and RB. I wouldn't be shocked to see them take a chance on a Day 3 corner.

I'm out on Brealon Allen. Big RBs like him rarely succeed, and I'm not sure what he does that is better than AJ Dillon. What traits does he have that are better than Dillon? Both are big dudes who run upright. The NFL DLs are bigger and stronger than any on the college level.
    I wouldn't touch a RB before R3 unless they were near-generational level. The opportunity cost at other positions is pretty high. Was Dillon worth a R2 pick? Would you feel better if he were a R3 or R4 pick? I'd be fine with them not taking a Day 2 RB, especially if it meant finding the next Nick Collins, Mike McKenzie or a James Jones. It won't matter who they have at RB if their run blocking doesn't improve.
    BPA? Does Braelon Allen's middle name start with P? ....... Just kidding. I know you mean Best Player Available, and I tend to agree. It's just that there are a helluva lot of position groups where the Packers are set right now. I also do not dislike the idea of getting this DeJean guy. Iowa players seem to be successful in the NFL more often than some others.

About Braelon Allen, though, what does he have that Dillon doesn't? Breakaway speed. I haven't seen a 40 time on him, but when healthy, he's left a lot of defenders in the dust. And that's not a knock on Dillon, who has been really upping his game lately. And I said, 2nd, not 1st round. He might even fall to the 3rd. I say all of this as somebody who for a long time has opposed drafting a RB early. This year, though, it seems to be at or near the top of the needs the Packers have.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I'm starting to like the idea of taking a RB, maybe even Braelin Allen, not necessarily in the first round, but more likely in the second.

If we could get a guaranteed star, I'd advocate taking a O Lineman, but it's hard to not think about generations of Mandarich, Sherrod, etc. I don't think we need a Corner or Safety, at least not early. I strongly don't think we need a Receiver or Edge Rusher. Maybe ILB early, but you have to pick and choose very carefully there. It might be better to take on 3rd or 4th round. D Line? The way Barry's D uses them doesn't justify a first round pick.
    So no to RB in the 1st, no OL in the 1st because they bust, don't need CB or S in the 1st. No OLB or WR. No DL because Barry misuses them.

That leaves ILB, TE, QB, P and K for the 1st round.

All joking aside, I would look at OL, DL, CB, S, ILB and DE

RB, OL, S and ILB seem to be the glaring weakness of this team if Alexander and Stokes come back healthy next year.

Campbell had a great 1st year for the Packers and hasn't been anything close to average since.

OL is doing better but you got to believe you can find a better RG and C than what we are lining up right now.

RBs need to be upgraded but I agree with run pMc. There will be a lot of really talented RBs available in round 3 and later.

I guess I would grab a WR or CB if anyone drops to where we are picking that is worth the value.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    So no to RB in the 1st, no OL in the 1st because they bust, don't need CB or S in the 1st. No OLB or WR. No DL because Barry misuses them.

That leaves ILB, TE, QB, P and K for the 1st round.

All joking aside, I would look at OL, DL, CB, S, ILB and DE

RB, OL, S and ILB seem to be the glaring weakness of this team if Alexander and Stokes come back healthy next year.

Campbell had a great 1st year for the Packers and hasn't been anything close to average since.

OL is doing better but you got to believe you can find a better RG and C than what we are lining up right now.

RBs need to be upgraded but I agree with run pMc. There will be a lot of really talented RBs available in round 3 and later.

I guess I would grab a WR or CB if anyone drops to where we are picking that is worth the value.
    If those are our only R1 options, then let's get the punter from Iowa.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Maybe we can trade up to grab him and then carry 2 punters on the active roster because he can’t figure out how to punt in the NFL.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    what about long snapper? save that for day 2?

they absolutely need help at many spots on the roster. I will be shocked if they don't draft 2 OL, 2 RBs and a S. There's maybe a 10% chance Jones AND Dillon are both back next year.

Tackle, running back and safety, in that order, are the Pack's biggest areas of need.

A month ago I would have said that a Tackle at 6-10 would be the perfect pick. As of now, I think a safety might go first, then OT and then RB. All depends on how their board falls.

MHJ says he's undecided about entering draft. https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...urn-ohio-state

Translation: The Bears Still Suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    With the Packers now holding the 20th pick in the draft, a lot of people are looking at Cooper DeJean of Iowa. He's played CB last 2 years at Iowa, but was recruited as a safety and has the build to play there. (6-1, 209). Packers love their Hawkeyes.
    Two problems for me: first, is this an echo of Josh Jackson? Secondly, isn't his name an echo of Shemale Jean Claude Charles? DeSean, Shemar?

That's my expert insightful analysis. No on this guy.

Also, isn't safety much more of a need that running back? You can pick up serviceable
    RB's from the fourth round on; the Packers are lucky to get a serviceable safety with a first-three-rounds pick.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

If they take him, he better be more Micah Hyde and less Josh Jackson. As a first round pick, I think I'd want him to be even better than Hyde, though.

Josh Jackson was thought to possibly be a 1st round pick until he ran a 4.56 40 at the Combine. DeJean is bigger and faster than Jackson. DeJean has also been an outstanding player 2 years in a row. Jackson was kind of a 1 year sensation.

Patriots win pretty much assures that Bears will have 1st pick in the draft.

I like that they say Dejean is smart, instinctive, heady, etc. Plus the size and length. If he can tackle like a safety and cover a little closer to a corner, he’s an ideal slot corner and that’s what we need.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I could see him being the pick. Could possibly play the slot if they don't sign Nixon.

nflmockdraftdatabase has Amarius Mims - OT - Georgia as most likely Packer pick. Thet have DeJean as most likely Arizona pick at #18.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Patriots win pretty much assures that Bears will have 1st pick in the draft.
    Hmmm….how can da Bears fuck this one up? Decide Fields is actually the guy, and trade back, only to see Fields become the next Bitch Trubisky while Williams and the Duke QB become stars? Trade Fields, who develops elsewhere, while the QB they pick either sucks (the Duke guy) or becomes such a prima Donna he alienates the whole team and town (Williams)?

So many ways this can go bad for da Bears.

KYPack