Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

I keep doing these mock draft simulations at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...raft-simulator and Newton is available at 25. Thoughts?

25 Jer'zhan Newton - DL - Illinois
    I'd say he's too small for a 3-4, but he'd be ok in a 4-3. I hadn't really watched him because I didn't think he'd be on GB's list, but he might be now. From what I hear he's the best interior DL in the draft. My guess is he's gone before 25 and Gute focuses on the back 7 of the defense, but you never know.
    I like Kinchens and Benson, Cooper looks like a really good athlete, and Simpson is skinny but has some ballhawk and attitude to him.

Haven't really watched Bullock or Puni; I hear Puni has the versatility GB likes and could play G/T. Bullock is rated among the top 3-5 safeties in the draft.

I've played with the simulators a bit and some of the results are flat out unrealistic (Maye or Williams falling out of the top 5, etc.) and I've had to force myself to not accept trades to try to make it more realistic, but I'm encouraged that Gute will be able to find help where they need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I keep doing these mock draft simulations at https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com...raft-simulator and Newton is available at 25. Thoughts?

41 Kamren Kinchens - S - Miami

58 Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M

88 Calen Bullock - S - USC

91 Trey Benson - RB - Florida St.

126 Dominick Puni - IOL - Kansas

167 Jaylin Simpson - CB - Auburn
    Jeez... seems risky not taking a kicker until at least the 7th, doesn't it?

Other than DL at #25, I like it. You're addressing just about every need, at just about the right point for each one. Until we see what Gute's going to do a month from now when the free aget store opens, this seems like a solid list.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    What GB does at safety will be very interesting. I can't help but think they'll bring in a vet and pair with a draft pick, but maybe that's just resigning Ford? The other thought is they do at S what they did at TE and draft a couple and just roll with rookies and hope they develop. Seems a bit risky to me, so I'd expect them to sign someone.

I like Tyler Nubin, but I suspect for Halfass's D they look at Kam Kinchens. He reminds me of Savage, but a little bigger and much more of a ballhawk. It looks like he could be rangy enough to play centerfield, and he led the ACC in interceptions the last two years. Not sure if he's a better tackler (haven't watched enough tape) and he's a little on the small side for a S, but I could see them spendng an early pick on a safety. In fact, I'm expecting it.
    I've seen Kinchens and DeJean slip into the 2nd. Landing both would be a coup. I can definitely envision Gutes moving up or back from our pick. DeJean can play all over a D from slot to boundary to either S. I think he goes higher than some do just because of that versatility, but if he is available when we pick, pairing him with Kinchens revamps the secondary nicely.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I've seen Kinchens and DeJean slip into the 2nd. Landing both would be a coup. I can definitely envision Gutes moving up or back from our pick. DeJean can play all over a D from slot to boundary to either S. I think he goes higher than some do just because of that versatility, but if he is available when we pick, pairing him with Kinchens revamps the secondary nicely.
    Yeah, if GB landed DeJean and Kinchens without having to trade up, I'd be pretty excited. I've seen a lot of online stuff saying DeJean is the best DB in the draft, period. You can play him anywhere in the secondary.

There is a zero percent chance they're drafting a 6'2" DL. They are gonna get longer at that position. They already are squatty there with KC. 6'4" will be the floor going forward I think.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    There is a zero percent chance they're drafting a 6'2" DL. They are gonna get longer at that position. They already are squatty there with KC. 6'4" will be the floor going forward I think.
    I'd put it a little higher than zero, but I agree it's pretty low. If there's a prospect who is just too good to pass up (Aaron Donald is 6'1", Jaire is below the Ron Wolf height threshold, etc.) you make an exception.
    Is Newton that kind of prospect? I haven't really bothered watching him to say, since I think he's gone by 25 and I don't think they will trade up for him, their interior DL room is pretty crowded.

Yeah, if GB landed DeJean and Kinchens without having to trade up, I'd be pretty excited. I've seen a lot of online stuff saying DeJean is the best DB in the draft, period. You can play him anywhere in the secondary.
    The only way they're getting DeJean is if they DID trade up. He ain't lasting til 25.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    The only way they're getting DeJean is if they DID trade up. He ain't lasting til 25.
    Agree. I don't think he falls to 25 unless he has an injury or a bad combine.
    I figure 5 QB and probably 4-5 WRs go in top 25, leaving about 15 picks among the other positions (DB and OL ,primarily) to go before GB picks. I'm assuming DeJean will be gone.

As tempting as it may be, if I were Gute I would be more likely to trade down than up, but that's also my personal bias/preference. It's unlikely there are 25 players with a Round 1 grade, so trading back to pick up another Top 100 pick wouldn't bother me.

Whatever they do, if they have another draft like the last 2 they will have one of the best rosters in terms of good young talent.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I figure 5 QB and probably 4-5 WRs go in top 25, leaving about 15 picks among the other positions (DB and OL ,primarily) to go before GB picks. I'm assuming DeJean will be gone.

As tempting as it may be, if I were Gute I would be more likely to trade down than up, but that's also my personal bias/preference. It's unlikely there are 25 players with a Round 1 grade, so trading back to pick up another Top 100 pick wouldn't bother me.

Whatever they do, if they have another draft like the last 2 they will have one of the best rosters in terms of good young talent.
    I still fall into the more picks are better group.

Yeah, high picks are great and have a lower chance of being a bust. I would rather have 11 shots at finding someone than 7 shots.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

He suffered late season injury. Missed end of season. Haven't heard if he'll be ready for combine.

About 1 out of 3 mock drafts I looked at have DeJean available at 25.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 02-13-2024 at 02:52 PM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    I think the Bears were super smart last year trading down to get all the extra draft picks. I would almost trade down again if I was the Bears. Only if I was in love with one of the top QBs would I use my pick on him.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I think the Bears were super smart last year trading down to get all the extra draft picks. I would almost trade down again if I was the Bears. Only if I was in love with one of the top QBs would I use my pick on him.
    I think the Bears will trade down from 9 to pick up a 2nd round pick. Right now they don't have a 2nd round pick because of the Montez Sweat trade.

There's probably going to be a run on tackles, too. Of the 23 teams picking ahead of us, it looks like 5 have a strong need for OT(Houston, Dallas, Tennesee, Jets, and Cincinnati) and another 4 or 5 at least need to get a good one somewhere in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised if 5 tackles go before us, too, and I can only see 2, maybe 3 teams with a strong immediate need for a CB/S. Everybody always preaches "best player available", but when a GM on an early-drafting team needs to win now, strange things can happen.

I'm still holding out hope!

That's the way I've been thinking, too. His drafting prowess these past couple of years has put him in the position of being able to wheel and deal a bit, and I honestly feel there's a 50-50 chance we'll all go to bed at the end of Day One not having any idea who our first pick is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

41 Kamren Kinchens - S - Miami

58 Edgerrin Cooper - LB - Texas A&M

88 Calen Bullock - S - USC

91 Trey Benson - RB - Florida St.

126 Dominick Puni - IOL - Kansas

167 Jaylin Simpson - CB - Auburn
    My thought: WTF is an "IOL"? Inside-outside linebacker?

I also do not think Dejean will be there at #25. Injury or no, he'll be long gone by then. Teams can rehab guys from injury better than they could even twenty years ago. I also wonder if Kinchens will be there at #41. Isn't he the top-rated safety?

But I'd love to pair "Puni" and "Bullock" on the field, next to each other in the huddle. Puny Bollocks?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    My thought: WTF is an "IOL"? Inside-outside linebacker?

I also do not think Dejean will be there at #25. Injury or no, he'll be long gone by then. Teams can rehab guys from injury better than they could even twenty years ago. I also wonder if Kinchens will be there at #41. Isn't he the top-rated safety?
    Interior Offensive Lineman. Center or Guard.

I looked at 20 recent mock drafts. DeJean was available at 25 in about 1/3. Almost all the interactive mock drafts I've done have Kinchens available at 41. But that could change if he kills it at the combine.

Packers 1st round picks by position since 1992.

DL (6) 2022: Wyatt/2016: Clark/2013: Jones/2009: Raji/2007: Harrell/1998: Holliday

CB (6) 2021: Stokes/2018: Alexander/2004: Carroll/1999: Edwards/1995: Newsome/1992: Buckley

EDGE: (4) 2023: Van Ness/2019: Gary/2012: Perry/2001: Reynolds

LB (4) 2022: Walker/2006: Hawk/2003: Barnett/1993: Simmons

OT: (4) 2011: Sherrod/2010: Bulaga/1997: Verba/1996: Michels

S (3) 2019: Savage/2015: Randall/2014: Clinton-Dix

QB (2) 2020: Love/2005: Rodgers

WR (1) 2002: Walker

TE (1) 2000: Franks

G (1) 1994 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    What makes you think this? This isn't one of their almost absolutes--like a CB has to be 5'11" with 30 inch arms. The Packers have drafted shorter DL (Raji, Worthy, Daniels), and there's nothing about a 4-3 that would dissuade them from drafting somebody shorter. Some of the better DTs in the NFL that play in a 4-3 are 6'2" or shorter. Aaron Donald is 6'1". Javon Hargrave is 6'2", Ed Oliver is 6'2". Shelby Harris is 6'2", Daron Payne is 6'2", and Alim McNeil is 6'2".
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    What makes you think this? This isn't one of their almost absolutes--like a CB has to be 5'11" with 30 inch arms. The Packers have drafted shorter DL (Raji, Worthy, Daniels), and there's nothing about a 4-3 that would dissuade them from drafting somebody shorter. Some of the better DTs in the NFL that play in a 4-3 are 6'2" or shorter. Aaron Donald is 6'1". Javon Hargrave is 6'2", Ed Oliver is 6'2". Shelby Harris is 6'2", Daron Payne is 6'2", and Alim McNeil is 6'2".
    I just think it'd be surprising based on the historic and unusual sizes of the Niners linemen. They seem to grab 6'7" guys from Oregon. Kinda reminds me of the Jaguars two gigantic inside DL from many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I still fall into the more picks are better group.

Yeah, high picks are great and have a lower chance of being a bust. I would rather have 11 shots at finding someone than 7 shots.
    I'm a fan of trading down if you have several similar graded players and you'll most likey still get a shot at drafting at least one. Otherwise, take a player at the current tier rather than two players at a lower tier.
    Especially with how young this team is. We don't need to refresh the roster with youth.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    I'm a fan of trading down if you have several similar graded players and you'll most likey still get a shot at drafting at least one. Otherwise, take a player at the current tier rather than two players at a lower tier.
    Especially with how young this team is. We don't need to refresh the roster with youth.
    I told a friend I'd like to see Guter draft like it's Noah's Ark - two of everything. Two safeties, two corners, two inside linebackers, two offensive linemen, two running backs.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack