Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I told a friend I'd like to see Guter draft like it's Noah's Ark - two of everything. Two safeties, two corners, two inside linebackers, two offensive linemen, two running backs.
    Will we also have to take a male and female of each?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I told a friend I'd like to see Guter draft like it's Noah's Ark - two of everything. Two safeties, two corners, two inside linebackers, two offensive linemen, two running backs.
    When Gute has tried to address a position, he's done this in the past. I kind of like it - it improves your odds of hitting on at least one of them at that spot. If you're going to do that, it helps if you have more than 10 picks like they do this year.
    I do want them to continue to pick BPA, but if they can trade down a few spots, pick up another lower (or 2025) pick and get the player they wanted that's a win.

Don't overlook the time before the draft; Bahktiari will be due a roster bonus, and they'll have some contracts to redo. Free agency will be in full swing and that will shape the board.

I think they cut DeVondre, redo Jones' contract, extend Kenny, sign a cheap vet at S, and then draft 2-3 DBs, 2-3 OL, 1-2 LB, and 2 RB.

Do they draft a TE or a WR? Unless the TE is better than Sims or the WR is better than Melton or Heath, I doubt it. I think they'll bring in a UDFA though.
    Curious to know who they bring in to play the FB role. Deguara was meh at it and Pearson looked lost. Maybe Pearson figures it out but I'd expect them to bring someone in.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Will we also have to take a male and female of each?
    Not unless you want them to reproduce. And if you do, it'll be about 22 years before the offspring are ready to play for the Packers.

So, no.

But a couple of unicorns would be nice.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Speaking of which, if I was a college team recruiter, I'd have Jonathan Owens and Simone Biles male offspring on the radar from birth.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Speaking of which, if I was a college team recruiter, I'd have Jonathan Owens and Simone Biles male offspring on the radar from birth.
    Damn, that's a good point. Is it too early to make some sort of provisional selection?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    I just think it'd be surprising based on the historic and unusual sizes of the Niners linemen. They seem to grab 6'7" guys from Oregon. Kinda reminds me of the Jaguars two gigantic inside DL from many moons ago.
    Two of their current six DTs are 6'1".
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

In this draft the average height of DT's appears to be about 6-3. 6-2 is much more common than 6-6. I doubt teams are real strict about the height of the DT's they draft. It would just be too limiting.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    The only way they're getting DeJean is if they DID trade up. He ain't lasting til 25.
    Every year I see this said about 50 different players, yet in the history of the draft there has never been 50 players go in the top 25.

Joking aside, my opinion is also that he won't be there at 25, but its my opinion. Wyatt and Kenny Clark being available late in the first stunned me, as did TJ Watt. Guys slip, it happens all the time. I respect your opinion, just don't go full skinbasket and state your opinion as fact.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Some predictions are where DeJean will go. https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com.../cooper-dejean

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    a sub 4 foot roided up midget that can't tackle?

yeah, i'm sure scouts will be all over that

maybe a scout for a circus

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Every year I see this said about 50 different players, yet in the history of the draft there has never been 50 players go in the top 25.

Joking aside, my opinion is also that he won't be there at 25, but its my opinion. Wyatt and Kenny Clark being available late in the first stunned me, as did TJ Watt. Guys slip, it happens all the time. I respect your opinion, just don't go full skinbasket and state your opinion as fact.
    dejean seems to be a second rounder until someone started talking about him being a good fit in green bay, now he's shot up boards and won't be there when we pick in the first

in about half the drafts people say there is no way the guys we want will be there when we pick. then they end up being there, and we pass on them, and everyone on here starts running for the ledge

the team will draft who they want, when they want. just like every other year, there is nothing we can do about it

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Iowa plays a really heavy cover 2 base, or 2 read schemes. It's their bread and butter. Dejean is more than solid athlete and because he comes from Iowa he is well versed on technique and how to play football. Without a deep dive this draft is absolutely littered with potential at the cornerback position, so trading up doesn't make a lot of sense. So Gutes will probably trade up.

What is nice about this upcoming year for the Packers is that they have quite a bit of depth at the WR position, so unless they fall in love with a mid round pick I can't see them needing to draft a high end player at that position. What I will say is that Gutes will take a receiver in the first 3 picks. The Packers also seem set at TE, which is nice, I could see them taking a a hybrid TE/FB in the mid to late rounds though.

The Packers do need to refortify on the offensive line. Tom could be a fixture at right tackle, and Jenkins is great if he stops getting hurt. Bakhatiari is in a bad position and I can't really fault him as he has done everything he could to get back on the field. Even in this day in age knee injuries can be career enders especially for big men. The Packers are screwed with the cap, so the should just hope this last procedure fixes his knee enough that he can play again. Rasheed Walker wasn't terrible last year and really improved as the year went on, but I don't know if he is a franchise left tackle in this league. I think Josh Myers is overrated and I haven't been really impressed with him sense the Packers drafted him. He gets the job done, mostly. Myers is replaceable. The Packers could easily draft two linemen early, a tackle and an interior lineman and I don't know who would have a problem with that.

Packers need to say thanks to AJ Dillon and move on. He is big and strong but doesn't have the balance and the thunder to move the pile on short yardage. When he is the featured back, he is more valuable than when he is sharing carries, but Aaron Jones is just so much better than him that you wouldn't feature Dillon over Jones. The Packers can go ahead and find a couple of late picks in the draft.

The Packers also don't need to take a corner high. A lot of guys got some prime playing time last year and did some really good things. I get that a new scheme is coming in, and that scheme will probably be more aggressive, blah, blah, blah...., very few defensive schemes in the NFL are different. I think the Packers can live with what they have at corner and supplement in the mid rounds. Obviously it's always going to be a coveted position in the NFL.

Packers need to do a better job protecting the middle of the field in the run game and especially in the pass game. The Safety room has to improve and so does the linebacker room. Walker isn't a great coverage linebacker and I am over Campbell, he needs to be replaced. Walker could be a great addition as a pass rusher and could stay on the field all three downs because of it. He is athletic enough to cover backs and TEs in man coverage but his zone awareness is sub par. Draft a LB early on day 2. Draft Safeties like you don't have any.

Edge, Not sure where the Packer have room to fit a high end player at the edge position. I recognize Preston Smith has some salary cap implications, and he is getting up there in age, but he is probably still the best guy in the room. Gary is the most dynamic for sure, and Van Ness is a first rounder that showed his potential as a rookie. Karl Brooks has showed out as a rookie, and Enagbare is a solid rotation guy. Its almost the same situation for the defensive tackles. Clark is an All Pro type player, Wyatt is a dude, Slayton and Slaton are solid, and Wooden has also shown potential as a rotational type guy as a late round rookie. The Packers would just be adding depth and or future potential if they drafted at either one of these spots.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    S’up, Nutz. Still listening to Coldplay and showing “Rudy” to your players?

Nice posts above.

Dejean looks like Josh Jackson from the YouTube clips I clicked. But fuck it, let’s draft a white corner. They’re rare.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Coldplay is terrible, and I ain't Rudy.

Agreed, Nutzy, that offensive line needs at least two draft picks to come in and compete and at least provide depth.

If it's a deep corner draft, which I've heard it is, then a corner or two in the middle rounds would also make sense, as you suggest.

And then of course a couple of safeties and inside linebackers.....

Defense. Always defense. It never seems to stop.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think we need to draft a safety and a cornerback within the first 3 rounds
    What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. - Pericles

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    I think we need to draft a safety and a cornerback within the first 3 rounds
    And with 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, that will likely happen.

as it stands now, they need bodies at safety, cornerback, off ball LB, RB, and on the OL.

- they have Anthony Johnson Jr., Zayne Anderson and Bennie Sapp III at safety. Enough said.

- they have Jaire, Stokes, Valentine, and two PS guys at CB. Sure they could sign Keisean, but do you want him as your slot corner? Maybe as your CB5, sure, but after seeing him play slot this year they can do better. Over the last two seasons Jaire and Stokes have missed more games than Christian Watson, trusting them to hold up and play well is folly.

- Assuming they dump DeVondre, they have Quay and McDuffie, and I think McDuffie is more super-sub than starter. I keep hearing Quay is a prototype Will, but don't they have to cover? I'm not sure Quay is great at coverage. I can't help but think they also need a glass eating ass kicker in the middle who will absolutely destroy running backs, but that might be my own fatigue at watching Joe Barely run defense.

- Aaron Jones needs a contract adjustment. Aften that they have nobodies. Jones should be a sparkplug RB2 who get 15 touches a game at most. RBs get hurt, and Jones is getting old. I could see them doing what they did when they drafted Williams/Jones/Mays in one draft.

- As for OL, Bahktiari situation is a mess but he's probably gone. That leaves you with little depth at OT. Moving Jenkins has had mixed results, and that means you're putting Newman in. They might have a starting five with Walker-Jenkins-Myers-Rhyan-Tom, but there's no depth behind those guys you'd feel great about starting if an injury strikes... and it will. Someone on the OL is going to miss a game or two. Protecting Jordan Love and improving the run game should be priorities for this team.

- Those are the areas of need, outside those they could certainly pick an EDGE to hold things down until Enagbare is back. Maybe that's Brenton Cox or Keyshawn Banks, but are you going to go with that? Gute will look at BPA, but I'd expect it will be with a preference to position of need. Regardless, another draft that gets knocked out of the park could set this team up for long term success.

You're doing a static analysis. A more dynamic analysis would not assume that anybody who isn't signed is gone. They really ought to re-sign Rudy Ford and Jonathan Owens as well as Ballentine. Savage is not horrible if the price isn't too high. Ditto that for Dillon, and Emmanuel Wilson is not exactly a nobody.

Bakhtiari being gone is a good thing, and we do have 7 or 8 other O Linemen who have been at least adequate NFL starters plus two that were considered decent enough that they lasted the whole season on the practice squad.

I HOPE they don't draft an O Lineman early. We're pretty solid at Corner, although you can never have too many good Corners. I have a better opinion than a lot of people about the Safetys we have, and drafting one high is a gamble, as that is a position where college quality doesn't always translate to NFL quality. We also are pretty solid at Edge Rusher as well as D Line.

IMO, the greatest needs are ILB and RB, both of which usually aren't good positions to draft in the first round. I'd draft one of each of those in the second and third, though - I'm on record as saying Braelon Allen in the third.

There's also the strong possibility we switch to a 4-3 with Halfley.

So what should we get in the first round? I've always hated the idea of trading down, it always seems like an unlikely scenario, but it's one possibility. What else is there? I guess Edge Rusher or maybe a true 4-3 OLB or maybe another Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?