Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2024 NFL Draft Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mims didn't play a lot. That's why he's not higher. He's played in all of 21 games in college, some of that as a backup. Hard to see him as a Week 1 NFL starter.

Question for all the Draft Gurus in here:

I just did one of these NFL Mock Draft simulators, picking for the Packers. Joe Alt was available at pick 25. Is this just an anomaly or did something come out about Alt. I don't give much stock into these simulators, but to have him drop to Pick # 25 is just weird.

I took him.

Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    Question for all the Draft Gurus in here:

I just did one of these NFL Mock Draft simulators, picking for the Packers. Joe Alt was available at pick 25. Is this just an anomaly or did something come out about Alt. I don't give much stock into these simulators, but to have him drop to Pick # 25 is just weird.

I took him.
    I just ran 3 mocks through the 3 different simulators I play with and not one of them had him falling outside of pick 8.

Some of the mock simulations produce weird results. I've had Drake Maye fall to me, that's just not realistic. At that point I just restart it and hope for something more likely. Reason being, if he's there in a mock someone else isn't, and we all know Maye will be gone by 25.

Alt will be gone by 25 too. He's basically OL1 and this draft has about 7 or 8 OL who could go R1. 24 teams aren't passing on him.

These are simulations after all, and who knows what kind of randomness factor they are building in. (Artificial intelligence indeed.) Gute will not draft the way I would but as a thought exercise it's amusing.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I have put about a 45 minutes into watching film on this year's linebacker class, and I think in any other year none of these guys would be more than a 3rd pick. Maybe what my expectations are bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I have put about a 45 minutes into watching film on this year's linebacker class, and I think in any other year none of these guys would be more than a 3rd pick. Maybe what my expectations are bullshit.
    May be also true at safety.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    May be also true at safety.

yikes

so theres no way we draft that guy

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yikes

He's coming off meniscus surgery. I wonder if he tried to work out too early.

He's coming off meniscus surgery. I wonder if he tried to work out too early.
    If that is the case, someone will get a steal if he drops to the third round. If it's not true, then that RAS is some serious suckage, right there. Not too far from my negative 4.23.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

yikes

Wow... yeah. That's... not good. Gute doesn't keep many sub 5 RAS guys on the roster, and he's not going to draft one high. You'd hope that he's not fully recovered from the knee surgery.

Nutz - you're not wrong about the LBs. Even the highly touted ones have some pretty meh or even bad moments if you watch the full game vs. a highlight video.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    2024 is a bad year to go into the draft needing LB, because if you have to draft one this year, you're spending more than you would other years. The guy you draft in the 3rd may be a guy you'd have gotten in the 4th or even 5th the year before or after, but if you have a hole that needs filling, you bite the bullet and spend it. I'm still hoping we find something useful in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    2024 is a bad year to go into the draft needing LB, because if you have to draft one this year, you're spending more than you would other years. The guy you draft in the 3rd may be a guy you'd have gotten in the 4th or even 5th the year before or after, but if you have a hole that needs filling, you bite the bullet and spend it. I'm still hoping we find something useful in free agency.
    I tried this argument on a date once, and got punched in the face.

Maybe Guter will draft three safeties and three linebackers in rounds four through seven, and see how they shake out.

I did see they brought in a defensive lineman from OSU for a visit. I'm not against that - but in Hafley's defense, are there most often only two defensive linemen on the field at one time (not counting the EDGE guys who line up as DE's)?

If so - and I don't know enough to know - then they've already got Clark, Slaton, Brooks, and Wooden for two spots. Is that right?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I tried this argument on a date once, and got punched in the face.

Maybe Guter will draft three safeties and three linebackers in rounds four through seven, and see how they shake out.

I did see they brought in a defensive lineman from OSU for a visit. I'm not against that - but in Hafley's defense, are there most often only two defensive linemen on the field at one time (not counting the EDGE guys who line up as DE's)?

If so - and I don't know enough to know - then they've already got Clark, Slaton, Brooks, and Wooden for two spots. Is that right?
    wyatt?

yeah, we have no need to draft a fatty for defense this year

i also think we're gonna be trading up this year. we have too many picks. maybe package the 2 second rounders to get another pick in the first

or trade one of the seconds for a first next year, if someone falls that someone else really wants.

kinda looks like this year doesn't offer a whole lot of quality players at positions we need. bad year to have so many picks

wyatt?

yeah, we have no need to draft a fatty for defense this year

i also think we're gonna be trading up this year. we have too many picks. maybe package the 2 second rounders to get another pick in the first

or trade one of the seconds for a first next year, if someone falls that someone else really wants.

kinda looks like this year doesn't offer a whole lot of quality players at positions we need. bad year to have so many picks
    I disagree. This draft is so fat at OL that we could easily find value with all 3 of our top picks at OL alone. And lets be honest. We could replace 2 starters on the OL and improve them quite easily. We also could use some interior depth.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

what exactly do we need at LB?

i'm guessing quay is still the MLB, is that still a sideline to sideline enforcer type like urlacher? or is it something different? or does he play one of the other two spots like WLB?

are weakside and strongside still a thing like they were when we last ran the 4-3? weakside = playmaker, strongside = thumper

or is that not a thing anymore,

what would the safety/LB hybrid play? is that the MLB?

what kind of player exactly do we need for those 2 spots?

what exactly do we need at LB?

i'm guessing quay is still the MLB, is that still a sideline to sideline enforcer type like urlacher? or is it something different? or does he play one of the other two spots like WLB?

are weakside and strongside still a thing like they were when we last ran the 4-3? weakside = playmaker, strongside = thumper

or is that not a thing anymore,

what would the safety/LB hybrid play? is that the MLB?

what kind of player exactly do we need for those 2 spots?
    Hard to say for sure because we haven't seen his defense yet, but most people seem to think he's looking for LBs along the lines of San Francisco's group - think Warner, Greenlaw, and Al-Shaair before he left. And he's stated that he prizes Quay highly. So fast, aggressive, hard-hitting LBs, with a mix of coverage skills and run-stopping ability.

Pretty much the universal model for the ideal linebacker; I guess the "type" he wants is "best possible all-around LB he can get".

I think Quay's natural position would be Will, but he might play Mike if they draft Edgerrin Cooper. As of now though, I think Quay would be Will and McDuffie would be Mike.

I think Quay's natural position would be Will, but he might play Mike if they draft Edgerrin Cooper. As of now though, I think Quay would be Will and McDuffie would be Mike.
    ok, thats kinda what i was thinking. mcduffie was a beast i guess under halfass at BC

so that means we are looking for depth and a big slow thumper. so we really don't need to draft LB high IMO, thank god

i'm might be starting to like the idea of trading the 2 seconds for around #21, then double dipping at DB

dejean for the chance to move him to safety and someone like lassiter or kool aide

Red, I don't see the value in trading up, as Green Bay's gonna need to draft about eight linebackers, six safeties, and four offensive linemen.

KYPack