113 Javon Foster OT | Missouri
    126 Zak Zinter IOL | Michigan
    131 Beaux Limmer IOL | Arkansas
    169 Edefuan Ulofoshio LB | Washington
    202 Khristian Boyd DL | Northern Iowa
    219 Josh Proctor S | Ohio State
    245 Tyrone Tracy Jr. RB | Purdue
    255 Willie Drew CB | Virginia State

Nubin is the best safety in the class although he recently had the Bahktiari meniscus surgery done so eek. Getting him early R2 still seemed like a good get, adding the best LB in Cooper, plus Bullard (who might turn out better than Nubin) is good haul.
    Trey Benson is a 6-1 RB with good production, not too much mileage and runs a 4.39 40.
    I haven't even watched Adisa Issac but I've heard he's an athletic marvel and they need another EDGE with Enagbare on the PUP and Preston aging.
    Cedric Grey and Ulofoshio are some of the better LB prospects in a weak class who will push McDuffie and Eric Wilson (assuming they resign him) for playing time. Rookie LBs usually stink and many take 3 years to figure it out, but they need bodies.
    Between the LBs are some developmental OL guys - Foster can play swing tackle, they brought Zinter in for a top 30 visit, and Limmer isn't my favorite but he can play C and has some traits that might work out. He'd at least push Myers for competition. All have at least some multiple position versatility.

the last 4 picks are dart throws -
    Boyd is a decent athlete with good PFF scores, last year they struck gold with a PFF darling in Karl Brooks.
    Proctor had some exposure to Hafley when both were at OSU,
    Tracy Jr. isn't my cup of tea but PFF loves him and he is a converted WR with good speed so he could be a change of pace back or just PS depth.
    Hadn't taken a corner and the Drew kid has good size and speed so why not.

There ya have it. I HIGHLY doubt this happens - this is a lot of trading and picks for one thing. When the mock sims start throwing trade offers at me and there are a few players who I like I turn into Ted and trade down.
    I don't think there are a lot of high end prospects at most positions, but I do think there is good depth and I'm thinking of the whole "competition" thing that was a big mantra last season. I think it will remain that way this year with a young team that can't get full of itself and rest on last year's laurels.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I have put about a 45 minutes into watching film on this year's linebacker class, and I think in any other year none of these guys would be more than a 3rd pick. Maybe what my expectations are bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I have put about a 45 minutes into watching film on this year's linebacker class, and I think in any other year none of these guys would be more than a 3rd pick. Maybe what my expectations are bullshit.
    May be also true at safety.

Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    2024 is a bad year to go into the draft needing LB, because if you have to draft one this year, you're spending more than you would other years. The guy you draft in the 3rd may be a guy you'd have gotten in the 4th or even 5th the year before or after, but if you have a hole that needs filling, you bite the bullet and spend it. I'm still hoping we find something useful in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    May be also true at safety.

yikes

so theres no way we draft that guy

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yikes

He's coming off meniscus surgery. I wonder if he tried to work out too early.

yikes

Wow... yeah. That's... not good. Gute doesn't keep many sub 5 RAS guys on the roster, and he's not going to draft one high. You'd hope that he's not fully recovered from the knee surgery.

Nutz - you're not wrong about the LBs. Even the highly touted ones have some pretty meh or even bad moments if you watch the full game vs. a highlight video.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    2024 is a bad year to go into the draft needing LB, because if you have to draft one this year, you're spending more than you would other years. The guy you draft in the 3rd may be a guy you'd have gotten in the 4th or even 5th the year before or after, but if you have a hole that needs filling, you bite the bullet and spend it. I'm still hoping we find something useful in free agency.
    I tried this argument on a date once, and got punched in the face.

Maybe Guter will draft three safeties and three linebackers in rounds four through seven, and see how they shake out.

I did see they brought in a defensive lineman from OSU for a visit. I'm not against that - but in Hafley's defense, are there most often only two defensive linemen on the field at one time (not counting the EDGE guys who line up as DE's)?

If so - and I don't know enough to know - then they've already got Clark, Slaton, Brooks, and Wooden for two spots. Is that right?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I tried this argument on a date once, and got punched in the face.

Maybe Guter will draft three safeties and three linebackers in rounds four through seven, and see how they shake out.

I did see they brought in a defensive lineman from OSU for a visit. I'm not against that - but in Hafley's defense, are there most often only two defensive linemen on the field at one time (not counting the EDGE guys who line up as DE's)?

If so - and I don't know enough to know - then they've already got Clark, Slaton, Brooks, and Wooden for two spots. Is that right?
    wyatt?

yeah, we have no need to draft a fatty for defense this year

i also think we're gonna be trading up this year. we have too many picks. maybe package the 2 second rounders to get another pick in the first

or trade one of the seconds for a first next year, if someone falls that someone else really wants.

kinda looks like this year doesn't offer a whole lot of quality players at positions we need. bad year to have so many picks

what exactly do we need at LB?

i'm guessing quay is still the MLB, is that still a sideline to sideline enforcer type like urlacher? or is it something different? or does he play one of the other two spots like WLB?

are weakside and strongside still a thing like they were when we last ran the 4-3? weakside = playmaker, strongside = thumper

or is that not a thing anymore,

what would the safety/LB hybrid play? is that the MLB?

what kind of player exactly do we need for those 2 spots?

I think Quay's natural position would be Will, but he might play Mike if they draft Edgerrin Cooper. As of now though, I think Quay would be Will and McDuffie would be Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Quay's natural position would be Will, but he might play Mike if they draft Edgerrin Cooper. As of now though, I think Quay would be Will and McDuffie would be Mike.
    ok, thats kinda what i was thinking. mcduffie was a beast i guess under halfass at BC

so that means we are looking for depth and a big slow thumper. so we really don't need to draft LB high IMO, thank god

i'm might be starting to like the idea of trading the 2 seconds for around #21, then double dipping at DB

dejean for the chance to move him to safety and someone like lassiter or kool aide

what exactly do we need at LB?

i'm guessing quay is still the MLB, is that still a sideline to sideline enforcer type like urlacher? or is it something different? or does he play one of the other two spots like WLB?

are weakside and strongside still a thing like they were when we last ran the 4-3? weakside = playmaker, strongside = thumper

or is that not a thing anymore,

what would the safety/LB hybrid play? is that the MLB?

what kind of player exactly do we need for those 2 spots?
    Hard to say for sure because we haven't seen his defense yet, but most people seem to think he's looking for LBs along the lines of San Francisco's group - think Warner, Greenlaw, and Al-Shaair before he left. And he's stated that he prizes Quay highly. So fast, aggressive, hard-hitting LBs, with a mix of coverage skills and run-stopping ability.

Pretty much the universal model for the ideal linebacker; I guess the "type" he wants is "best possible all-around LB he can get".

Red, I don't see the value in trading up, as Green Bay's gonna need to draft about eight linebackers, six safeties, and four offensive linemen.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

wyatt?

yeah, we have no need to draft a fatty for defense this year

i also think we're gonna be trading up this year. we have too many picks. maybe package the 2 second rounders to get another pick in the first

or trade one of the seconds for a first next year, if someone falls that someone else really wants.

kinda looks like this year doesn't offer a whole lot of quality players at positions we need. bad year to have so many picks
    I disagree. This draft is so fat at OL that we could easily find value with all 3 of our top picks at OL alone. And lets be honest. We could replace 2 starters on the OL and improve them quite easily. We also could use some interior depth.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

As for the LB's, I'm pretty sure Quay could play any of the spots, but they will use him at the Will because its the most prized position of the 3. McDuffie is harder to cast. He is a solid run defender, but that could land him at either sam or mike. I'm guessing mike because he knows the D and can make the calls. Also, a guy like Preston can probably man the sam. I don't see Preston as a DE in this defense, yet he is still on the roster so I think they have plans for him as a linebacker. He probably also could play weakside, but pretty sure that will be left for Quay. And I said last offseason they may start letting quay get after the QB, Parsons style. That will probably happen in this D on passing situations.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I disagree. This draft is so fat at OL that we could easily find value with all 3 of our top picks at OL alone. And lets be honest. We could replace 2 starters on the OL and improve them quite easily. We also could use some interior depth.
    i thought about that, but we are so damn good at finding O-line in the mid to later rounds

imo, and its based on nothing, we have a better chance at finding a starter for the O-line in the mid rounds then we do any other position

i thought about that, but we are so damn good at finding O-line in the mid to later rounds

imo, and its based on nothing, we have a better chance at finding a starter for the O-line in the mid rounds then we do any other position
    Not nothing, you are basing it on Gutes past several drafts. Its valid, but when you get a chance to turn your OL into the best in the NFL with 2 good picks and it also happens to be where the value is, you shouldn't pass on it because you might find some quality in round 5.

Gotta agree with Bobble there. You don't want Guter to reach for a need when he's got a much higher-ranked prospect at a position of lesser-need-but-still-needed sitting right there. Do you want your first round pick to be a potential all pro at offensive line or a JAG at linebacker?

Obviously it's not that cut-and-dried, but you see the point.

KYPack