1999: Antuan Edwards
    1967: Don Horn
    1936: Bernie Scherer

Better trade the pick.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Texas DL T'Vondre Sweat arrested for DWI. Likely 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sweat, 22, was booked Sunday afternoon into Travis County Jail, according to online records, after being arrested by Austin police. He faces a Class B misdemeanor, which in Texas carries a fine up to $2,000 and 180 days in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Texas DL T'Vondre Sweat arrested for DWI. Likely 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Sweat, 22, was booked Sunday afternoon into Travis County Jail, according to online records, after being arrested by Austin police. He faces a Class B misdemeanor, which in Texas carries a fine up to $2,000 and 180 days in jail.
    Seems every year there's at least one of these draft prospects that does something stupid right before the draft. I think it was the DLineman, Carter, last year? He still went in the 1st round, but dropped.

Think he's completely off some teams' draft boards now because of this? His combine showing wasn't too good too if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yeah those are

good looking player, but i don't think you take him in the first with those flags
    I didn't start paying attention to him until he blew the doors off of the Combine, but I think he's on a lot of people's radar now. He's a freakish athlete who just rocked the Combine, but that injury history.... 2 ACLs, on I think the same knee, shoulder surgery... plus, I've noticed he often has a hard time beating blockers (even tight ends), which - when you consider that a lot of the blockers he has touble beating are 2, even 3 years younger than he is - makes him slip a bit for me. He also plays high, which seems to make it easier for blockers to knock him off balance, and has some weaknesses in his tackling technique - tends to give up a lot of yards after contact.

But he's a smart player, with a great attitude, and technique is coachable. I think 2nd round is a little early, but I wouldn't mind him in the 3rd and would be quite happy to get him in the 4th. I just suspect someone will take him in the first 60 or so, because he's a pretty shiny object. He's got a terrific upside, if he stays healthy.
    Last edited by Frozen Tundra; 04-07-2024 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Tundra View Post
    I didn't start paying attention to him until he blew the doors off of the Combine, but I think he's on a lot of people's radar now. He's a freakish athlete who just rocked the Combine, but that injury history.... 2 ACLs, on I think the same knee, shoulder surgery... plus, I've noticed he often has a hard time beating blockers (even tight ends), which - when you consider that a lot of the blockers he has touble beating are 2, even 3 years younger than he is - makes him slip a bit for me. He also plays high, which seems to make it easier for blockers to knock him off balance, and has some weaknesses in his tackling technique - tends to give up a lot of yards after contact.

But he's a smart player, with a great attitude, and technique is coachable. I think 2nd round is a little early, but I wouldn't mind him in the 3rd and would be quite happy to get him in the 4th. I just suspect someone will take him in the first 60 or so, because he's a pretty shiny object. He's got a terrific upside, if he stays healthy.
    I watched a Mock draft on NFL Network a couple weeks ago and the show peeps had the Packers taking him in the 1st round at pick 25. I was like, no way are the Packers taking him there.

If he's there in the 4th round, it's a no brainer, but I agree with you, he's most likely gone somewhere in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

I've said it before, Payton Wilson scares the hell out of me. 3 years from now he could be the best ILB from this class, or he could be out of the league because of age and medicals. I watched a couple games (Louisville, ND, WF) and he's fast, tall and rangy but doesn't have a lot of sand in his pants. He's a "see ball, chase and hit" type where you'd have to keep him clean. I think if a pro OL player gets his hands on him, he's done. Can't shed a block, but is fast quick enough to run around them sometimes.

I'm not sure if Hafley's D is going to be one where the DL eat up blockers and let the LBs roam. He'll do well in a scheme like that, but he's far from a finished product.
    Which leads me to the age - he'll turn 24 just before the draft, so you're looking at a guy without much more upside, and likely a one contract player. The injuries add to the concern, although they were when he was younger and he's been healthier since, but I'm sure teams have medical concerns.

He's a boom or bust player and one I personally would stay away from unless he's there in R4. My guess? Someone will fall in love with him before then and takes him Day 2. There's no sane way he's a R1 pick.

Daniel Jeremiah has Wilson at #41 on his top 50 board. That may indicate exactly the decision Gute would have to make. You may be able to get him at 41, but not later.

Kentucky RB Ray Davis meeting with Packers today. Likely 3-4 round pick.

Davis probably represents the lowest RAS the Packers are willing to tolerate from a RB in the draft. If he's projected as a 4th, with a 6~ RAS, we would probably take him in the 6th if he falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Packers #25 picks:

2004: Ahmad Carroll
    1999: Antuan Edwards
    1967: Don Horn
    1936: Bernie Scherer

Better trade the pick.
    Yeah, I think we ALL were cursing at the TV when that Bernie Scherer card got turned into the podium and announced.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Davis probably represents the lowest RAS the Packers are willing to tolerate from a RB in the draft. If he's projected as a 4th, with a 6~ RAS, we would probably take him in the 6th if he falls.
    he has some fun tape; I really liked him until I learned he was old. Dude is older that Payton Wilson (by a few months - Nov 1999). That's an old rookie. Has a good back story, I like his toughness and has some wiggle for his size. R4 feels rich for me, Few RBs will come off the board until Day 3 so I expect that to be when Gute strikes. Am very curious to see Gute's draft moves at RB and S - will say a lot about the current and future roster expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    Yeah, I think we ALL were cursing at the TV when that Bernie Scherer card got turned into the podium and announced.
    6 picks later, Paul (Bear) Bryant, who played the same position, was picked.

Dane Brugler
    @dpbrugler

From NFL team at Cooper DeJean's pro day:

4.43/4.45 40-yard dash
    38.5" vert
    10'4" broad

Outstanding workout.

Gotta think that DeJean goes before 25 with the tape and the excellent pro day showing. Maybe we trade up, but probably not.

DeJean's numbers would have been in the middle among CB's at the combine. But the fact he does it at 202 pounds makes his RAS elite. Almost all mocks I've seen has him going 20-25.

No agility drills The lack of agility drills by players has been pretty frustrating - it's worse each year, and yet very important to measure. At least they do the jumps. Few players run in a straight line for 40 yards.

For some reason I don't think he's the top choice for GB at 25. He's a fine prospect but I feel like there are some who have fixated on him and... I don't get it.
    If you try to turn him into a safety there's no guarantee it will work right away, and as a safety prospect he's considered a better fit in the old Barry scheme.

If he's there and they take him, great. If he's there and they take an EDGE or OT or (gasp) a different CB, I can't wait to see the Packer Internet turn irrational and fiery on Gute.

TV? It was broadcast on the Columbia Broadcast Service - or was it the National Broadcast Corporation? - I can't remember. And they didn't turn in any damn card. They wrote him a letter and sent it via the U.S. Mail.

Found a picture of that Payton Wilson. I had to look around, but I finally found it on the AARP website.

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Gotta think that DeJean goes before 25 with the tape and the excellent pro day showing. Maybe we trade up, but probably not.
    Unlike the 8 times in 7 years, you can't explain how 30 guys will be off the board before we pick at 25. Maybe Cooper goes, but there will be some help available.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Gonna need context on a crackpot comment like that.

thats one of the rare occasions when selecting just based on a high RAS score can bite you in the ass