Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Question: Love vs Clifford

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't know that predicting failure for any QB who hasn't proven it on the field makes one a prophet. Stating the most likely outcome seems more accurate. I can predict right now that Caleb Jones will fail as a QB and certainly as a top 5 QB and I'm likely to be correct.
    Obviously feeling dissedthat SB is smarter than you as he PROPHESIED!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Obviously feeling dissedthat SB is smarter than you as he PROPHESIED!!!
    Clearly thats it.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I'm not so worried about the decision-making at this point. If you really are serious about considering that, you realize that there is so, so much information to process in milliseconds, that it would naturally take time and experience to get that part. I think Love can get there.

The accuracy bothers me, though. He just is off so much with his throws. Too much air under the ball, not enough air under the ball, underthrows Watson, overthrows Deguara. A little spooky.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I'm not so worried about the decision-making at this point. If you really are serious about considering that, you realize that there is so, so much information to process in milliseconds, that it would naturally take time and experience to get that part. I think Love can get there.

The accuracy bothers me, though. He just is off so much with his throws. Too much air under the ball, not enough air under the ball, underthrows Watson, overthrows Deguara. A little spooky.
    As guys like Kurt Warner have pointed out....he isn't being given a lot to work with. We need to see the OL play better. Get a run game working. As long as he puts games like weeks 1 and 2 on tape while the team gains experience I have hope that you can win with him. If we give him a record deal like the Cowboys gave Prescott at the time you will be challenged to surround him with the necessary talent. Same as the Rams did with Goff. Those are 2 examples of guys who got max QB deals and the team suffered very soon after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOxzPmgg-zM

There's lot of film and armchair QBs out there. I think Love has an accuracy issue but also is a little jumpy to climb the pocket and doing a few other things he can improve. He has a tendency to put a little too much air under the ball and underthrow it, which he should never do with Watson. Just chuck it and let that 4.3 speed catch up to it.

The execution of the young receivers is hampering some of the evaluation, as is the OL playing poorly. There are a lot of breakdowns happening around him which will buy him some time. I'm starting to think they need to sit Rasheed Walker for a couple of games to watch Njiman play before trying him again, and I think they need to get healthy. All the leg injuries this team has aren't helping. That aside, they just gotta play better. It's blocking and tackling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Clearly thats it.
    Man I was just trying to give him a little scratch like the dog he is. If I was going to pick any Why guy here to work for it would be you or maybe Rastak. But that would be so I could do fuck up shit to his purple lovin ass.

Can’t say nothing without being called a racist these days. If you ignore a persons color you’re a racist. If you point out a persons color, you’re a racist. You must all be old people, cuz the kids don’t care no more. Anyway, I’m glad Love vindicated ya’ll today.

As far as what I like better about Clifford, I think I’ve made that pretty clear, but A number 1 is his confidence, followed by his decisiveness, most likely born from said confidence, and finally his gravitas which stands in stark comparison to Love’s flower wallpaper routine. So suck it. He can’t be much worse results wise at this point.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Blog Entries
    Wouldn’t have had issue with putting him today. Starting to worry I will hate you more for being right.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinBasket View Post
    Can’t say nothing without being called a racist these days. If you ignore a persons color you’re a racist. If you point out a persons color, you’re a racist. You must all be old people, cuz the kids don’t care no more. Anyway, I’m glad Love vindicated ya’ll today.

As far as what I like better about Clifford, I think I’ve made that pretty clear, but A number 1 is his confidence, followed by his decisiveness, most likely born from said confidence, and finally his gravitas which stands in stark comparison to Love’s flower wallpaper routine. So suck it. He can’t be much worse results wise at this point.
    I’m confident. I’m decisive. But I would be a shitty QB. You need those qualities, but those ain’t enough, Skinny. Love was not the problem today. It was his shitty offensive line, his receivers dropping balls, and his coach calling a shitty game.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I’m not concerned about Love yet.

I’m confident. I’m decisive. But I would be a shitty QB. You need those qualities, but those ain’t enough, Skinny. Love was not the problem today. It was his shitty offensive line, his receivers dropping balls, and his coach calling a shitty game.
    He’s not exactly accurate tho. How many passes came up short, how many flew long. Yes he had way too many balls droped that were certainly catchable but overall he didn’t have a great day.

I’m confident. I’m decisive… You need those qualities
    Sorry for parsing you, but that is my main point. Yes, you NEED those qualities, as an NFL QB, and whatever you think of Clifford’s other abilities, Love has thoroughly demonstrated he does not have them. As such, time to move on. But management won’t because that would be admitting failure, especially in light of moving on from 12, regardless of what he had left to offer. I just want to be able to watch someone who wants to win, and can accept watching someone fail at that. I refuse to watch someone (Love) who does not have that built into who he is. He is not a winner. He is along for the ride. He is a weed in the wind. He has been handed everything and given nothing. He is dead to me.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Clifford has a noodle arm, but Love is clumsy and never actually uses his arm.

Accuracy issues aside, there were things in preseason and earlier in regular season you liked: the poise, the decision making. That has started to go out window. He looks rattled and has started to make more bad decisions. That tells me he doesn't trust his receivers or his OL, and I don't blame him.
    Even so, he's got to do better, but I think they have bigger problems tbh. This OL was supposed to be a strength, and the running game was supposed to help him out in his first year. That has not happened, and it's crazy to think it's because the starting LT is on IR. Who knows - SF sure misses Trent Williams.

Injuries have hit the OL hard - I think Jenkins is still fighting thru the knee injury, and Myers and Runyan have been pedestrian this year. They can pass block most of the time but their run blocking has not been good. And Walker has regressed, and Njiman had a bad camp. Usually an OL that has played together the previous year will come out and play well the next, that's not happened and it's hurt the offense considerably. Penalties too. That's not on Jordan Love's fault.

I suppose I sound like I'm defending him -- I'm not on his bandwagon -- but really I'm pointing out that he's a part of the problem, not the entire problem. You could put any QB back there and they'd struggle with that OL and rookie receivers dropping throws and running bad routes. I think with Mahomes back there they'd be a maybe a 4 win team on this schedule.

I agree that you can’t make a true judgment call on Love at this point. He’s not trending in a great direction, but he’s had a boatload of headwinds throws his way in his first year as a starter. Everyone will compare Love to Rodgers in their first year, but the Packer OL of 2008 was better than our current OL. Gute has proven to be extremely poor at identifying OL talent. He’s hit on one guy, and missed badly on nearly everyone else. In other words, any of us could draft OL talent better. He needs to be asked about it and he needs to be held accountable for how he improves on that. Until he does, it doesn’t matter who our QB is. You can’t have a line that is mediocre in blocking and gets called for holding or being downfield every other possession.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Fair, even if it took a week to get a response. Confidence only takes you so far. I won't go political, but I can give many examples of baseless confidence and it rarely ends well.

And again, I don't mind you pointing out Love isn't playing well, or saying you don't think he ever will, I just wish you would contribute anything else to the general packers forum. However, if you're down to a couple posts a week about it, its not trolling either.

As I've said many times, its symbiotic. Love isn't helping his own cause either. Of course we started last season this way and Rodgers didn't look a hell of a lot better, but he was better. Love has to take some of the responsibility, but all of it would be ridiculous. I don't think this team would be good no matter who our QB was.

Sorry for parsing you, but that is my main point. Yes, you NEED those qualities, as an NFL QB, and whatever you think of Clifford’s other abilities, Love has thoroughly demonstrated he does not have them. As such, time to move on. But management won’t because that would be admitting failure, especially in light of moving on from 12, regardless of what he had left to offer. I just want to be able to watch someone who wants to win, and can accept watching someone fail at that. I refuse to watch someone (Love) who does not have that built into who he is. He is not a winner. He is along for the ride. He is a weed in the wind. He has been handed everything and given nothing. He is dead to me.
    You could be right or you could be misreading him. Montana often looked like he didn't have that fire either. Since he was winning it was "inner calmness". Since Love is losing its that he "doesn't want to win". Other than saying he won't be Maholmes or prime Rodgers I think the book is still open on Love. He may well wash out, but I am still going with David Carr, Jimmy G, Joe Flacco type career. A guy you can win with until you pay him too much. However, if you surround him with talent and he signs a 5 year $120 million deal you can probably take a couple shots at an Owl. Problem is that they will either cut him or give him 4 years $170 million after next year. Thats what teams do. The Ravens paid Lamaar like a top 5 QB. The cowboys paid Dak like a top 5 QB. I could go on and on about paying guys big contracts and then not being able to field enough talent around them.

I’ve seen the good judgment I’d expect from Love after backing up Rodgers. I see way more mobility than I expected from him. I don’t see clumsiness, just a lot of throwing off platform same as Rodgers and Favre and Mahomes - and that’s a good thing. Yeah there is occasional inaccuracy but not as much critics think.

I have a high opinion of Clifford also - a very capable backup and a bargain of a pick.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Goot basically said he’s got 10 games to prove he can start in the league.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e?platform=amp