Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just a Disgruntled Former Packer or Is There Truth?

Is It Just a Disgruntled Former Packer or Is There Truth?

Just saw this with our favorite third-string quarterback, Kurt Benkert.

He seems to think The Flower is far, far too rigid. Hmmm. Just a bitter guy who got cut, or are his criticisms legitimate?

"The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

No one who ever walked the planet is immune to critique. Is this one in particular legit? Maybe. What I do know is that this offense needs to show improvement as we move forward. And although Love showed plenty of promise early and flashes he needs to add consistency. I've said many times this is a reset season. A lot of questions needed to be answered going in. The Bak question pretty much has been answered. Even though our D was stout against a really bad team I think the Joe Barry question has been answered. Neither of them for the good. A lot of season to go. A lot of questions to be answered.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Matt does seem a little stubborn sometimes, and maybe not the coolest of cucumbers, but I also think winning makes his strengths looks better and his weaknesses look trivial.

Just win a few games and it kinda goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Just saw this with our favorite third-string quarterback, Kurt Benkert.

He seems to think The Flower is far, far too rigid. Hmmm. Just a bitter guy who got cut, or are his criticisms legitimate?

Meh. He's being criticized on twitter by a guy whose regular season experience consists of talking a knee twice in 2021, and is now out of the NFL.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

I don't think anything Benkert said -- which was mostly related to having different personalities that didn't jive together -- was that bad. Being as public/outspoken about it is probably the thing, is all. He didn't say MLF was a bad coach, just that he liked Shanahan better and that Shanahan was more flexible and didn't act like he had all the answers.

MLF isn't a bad coach, but I don't think he's above criticism. All the times he's ignored Aaron Jones (we need to get him the ball more), or put Dillon in bad positions (run him north south, not outside), or had game plans where they are chucking the ball all over the place when just moving the chains on easy completions would do. And then there's the loyalty over competence thing with Barry, Drayton, and others.

As for the scheme, I don't know that it's outdated. I think he's adapted his scheme over time. I'm not sure he's adapted it to best accomodate his players this year. Scheme, game planning, and preparedness are parts of being a HC, and there have been times he's come up short.
    JMHO

Rigid in what way? When Benkert was in Green Bay and all the Rodgers/La Fleur years, La Fleur subordinated his ego and ran a Rodgers oriented offense - for better or worse. That's the opposite of rigid in my book.

We're just now seeing La Fleur's scheme this season, and even now, it seems like he's doing what he does based on the personnel of the team as well as the kind of defense he's going against. Supposedly Jones not playing against the Raiders was a late scratch thing. Those mildly successful run plays with Dillon running would have looked absolutely great with Jones. Was that rigidity? Or just not enough time to change before game time?

The only rigidity I see is La Fleur retaining Joe Barry - the clear cause of virtually all the problems this team might have.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

All this talk about MLF being too rigid vs too flaccid doesn't matter. What matters is if they win games.

My point is rigid coaches can be successful just the same as flaccid coaches. Back up QBs that never play may prefer flaccid coaches, but their opinion isn't relevant. It's all about the wins and losses.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    My point is rigid coaches can be successful just the same as flaccid coaches. Back up QBs that never play may prefer flaccid coaches, but their opinion isn't relevant. It's all about the wins and losses.
    And as is often the case, there's context missing. Read another article about how all that went down, that "interview," and it's all those "content creators" who spin clips from longer pieces, and the clips, minus the context, go viral. Basically, Benkert also admitted the Packers didn't like his focus on his social media development, which he felt was his "future." So there's another element as to why he got cut.

I don't know. Just wondering what MLF's like as a coach.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    No one who ever walked the planet is immune to critique.
    A gem
    Upfront - I'm going to "borrow and reuse" it and let others believe I thought it up myself

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    A gem
    Upfront - I'm going to "borrow and reuse" it and let others believe I thought it up myself
    Wait about Jesus?

Though I think he kind of set up Judas, and you could ding him for that.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wait about Jesus?

Though I think he kind of set up Judas, and you could ding him for that.
    Jesus should have taught a few others that trick about feeding 100 people with a loaf of bread. He kept it to himself. Therefore I am going to criticize him for that.

Jesus should have taught a few others that trick about feeding 100 people with a loaf of bread. He kept it to himself. Therefore I am going to criticize him for that.
    Wasn't just bread. Was also an all-you-can-eat fish fry. Must have been a Friday.

So you're criticizing him because he didn't get his fishing license from the DNR?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    So you're criticizing him because he didn't get his fishing license from the DNR?
    Just another criminal I guess.

Mike Daniels in two minutes names the problem with the Packers defense for a long while. I would not say every year or post season. But most. Same for the offense, which is too finesse.

"We knew we were tougher than you guys."

They did bring it a few years and post seasons, but overall this has been the problem. Just need a new DC. LaFleur does not exude toughness, sorry to say.

https://x.com/gameonwi/status/1715011146715943241?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by Jaire View Post
    Mike Daniels in two minutes names the problem with the Packers defense for a long while. I would not say every year or post season. But most. Same for the offense, which is too finesse.

"We knew we were tougher than you guys."

They did bring it a few years and post seasons, but overall this has been the problem. Just need a new DC. LaFleur does not exude toughness, sorry to say.

https://x.com/gameonwi/status/1715011146715943241?s=20
    As I've been saying, I want one of those asshole DCs that nobody likes. Schwartz, Williams or some other prick. They need some attitude.

As I've been saying, I want one of those asshole DCs that nobody likes. Schwartz, Williams or some other prick. They need some attitude.
    I don't think it has to be a guy like Schultz or Greg Williams. I don't think Barry is a mediocrity because he doesn't have enough attitude. I think he's a mediocrity because he's a mediocre defensive mind. Were Fritz Shurmur and Dom Capers "attitude guys"?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I don't think it has to be a guy like Schultz or Greg Williams. I don't think Barry is a mediocrity because he doesn't have enough attitude. I think he's a mediocrity because he's a mediocre defensive mind. Were Fritz Shurmur and Dom Capers "attitude guys"?
    This. There's multiple ways to coach and motivate. We like to oversimplify things. TOO SOFT! If only we yelled at them more and made them eat more read meat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    +1 to this. I always said we don’t need a rah rah guy. We need a cerebral guy. The trouble with Barry is he doesn’t seem to have much imagination or ability to adjust.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?