Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gary Extended

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SudsMcBucky View Post
    There really isn't much more left to kick on this year's team.
    Wrong. Even our resident hotshot CPA, thunderdan, will tell you’re wrong. If he says otherwise, he’s lying.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

those backloaded contracts only come back to bite you when you decide to convert salary to bonus, thus making that money guaranteed. So you convert $12 million of a player's salary (who has two years left) to a bonus over the next 2 years, maybe add a void year so it's over 3 years. you've just created $8M of cap space for that year, but you've pushed out 8 million over one or two years. Do that over and over for multiple players across multiple years, and it starts to stack up until you have one or two really shitty cap space years.

That's how you cook your cap. Trouble is, you cook it too much and it burns.

Story is actually a 4/96M deal.
    https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...ars-96-million

The new contract for Gary will likely increase his salary cap hit for 2023 by a small amount. He was previously playing on his rookie 5th-year option, which carried a base salary of $10.892 million. According to Huber, the signing bonus on the deal is reportedly about $34.6 million, which will be split up evenly on the cap as about $6.93 million per year over the five years of the deal (including 2023). With a reduction in his base salary to $4.9 million, Gary’s cap hit bumps up very slightly to $11.83 million this year.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    those backloaded contracts only come back to bite you when you decide to convert salary to bonus, thus making that money guaranteed. So you convert $12 million of a player's salary (who has two years left) to a bonus over the next 2 years, maybe add a void year so it's over 3 years. you've just created $8M of cap space for that year, but you've pushed out 8 million over one or two years. Do that over and over for multiple players across multiple years, and it starts to stack up until you have one or two really shitty cap space years.

That's how you cook your cap. Trouble is, you cook it too much and it burns.
    You’re ignoring soaring revenues (future cap increases), future expiring contracts, future cooking and older “dead money” being wiped off books, all of which will offset future dead money.

lol

TLDR: Team in a cap hell extends Gary Lightbody, increasing current cap hit for a team already drowning in cap hell.

sure seems like a lot of money. he's good, but not elite imo, and this is elite money

on the other hand, he is the one bright spot on the defense, and he seems to be the only packer over the last few years thats been able to come back from an injury, so that should be worth a few more dollars

must be nice to live in a world where 1 million dollars is a "slight bump"

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Let me this straight, Bobble logic:

The Packers are in a cap hell.

Cap hell is short term.

Backloaded contracts create cap hell.

Using your logic, why extend Gary at all? His backloaded contract is just gonna create future cap hell!

In today’s NFL, cash flow, not the salary cap, is what handicaps players expenditures. And profit is still the name of the game, even for the so-called nonprofit corporation. The Packers are supposedly in a cap hell, yet the just handed out sumptuous contracts to the likes of 12, 69, 52, 23, 29, 59, 91, and whatever number the Fucking Center wears, among others.

So why won’t the Packers hand out more sumptuous contracts? Cash flow. Not only do the Packers not want to have to dig into their “reserve” fund, thunderdan jotting down a net loss when he does his annual audit of the Packers won’t look good for the team - and the league, a league full of greedy pigs.
    I never said that so you get an F.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

lol

TLDR: Team in a cap hell extends Gary Lightbody, increasing current cap hit for a team already drowning in cap hell.
    But it DOESN'T increase current hit. It hits in future years. Right here in the article:

"The new contract for Gary will likely increase his salary cap hit for 2023 by a small amount."

So the Packers were never in a cap hell. Gotcha.
    That is for only 43 players in 2024 and the space does not include Gary's new contract.

My understanding is it’s 5 years 106M
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

21M when bosa gets 30. Fair.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    My understanding is it’s 5 years 106M
    Including this year. I think it's a 4 year 96M extension added onto the 10.8M he's making this year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Including this year. I think it's a 4 year 96M extension added onto the 10.8M he's making this year.
    making it really a 5 year 106.8 million dollar deal

not so bad. 21.36 per year

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    making it really a 5 year 106.8 million dollar deal

not so bad. 21.36 per year
    It’s a really good deal. In the last year, the cap hit is 30. That’s bosas per year average

But it DOESN'T increase current hit. It hits in future years. Right here in the article:

"The new contract for Gary will likely increase his salary cap hit for 2023 by a small amount."

Sud’s logic:

Gary’s new contract doesn’t increase the current cap hit against the Packers cap, the 2023 cap.

Then posts quotation saying the extension causes an increase in cap hit against the 2023 cap.

Preston Smith has 4 sacks so far. There doesn’t seem to be much drop off in his play. Our cap situation is good moving forward. Preston’s cap hit would be 16.5M, which is a very fair cap number for a solid edge player getting about 8 sacks per year and playing the run well.

Rashan Gary played in 25% of the snaps his rookie year and got 2 sacks
    LVN played in 35% of the snaps so far and has one sack

I’m year 2, Gary played 50% of the snaps and got 5 sacks

LVN and Gary are both elite athletes for the position. Long, strong, naturally gifted run stoppers with physical traits that suggest a high pass rush ceiling. With Preston not showing drop off yet, I think you roll the dice on one more year and have those three as your top edge guys next year.

Enagbare isn’t a great player, but entering his prime, he’s a reliable 4th edge.

You’re ignoring soaring revenues (future cap increases), future expiring contracts, future cooking and older “dead money” being wiped off books, all of which will offset future dead money.
    Not ignoring those things. Just pointing out how bonuses and guarantees and converting salary to bonus works and the impacts on the cap. Gute/Ball did this a LOT in the last few years to keep a core of players to 'run it back' with, such that they converted all the sizable salaries and didn't really have much left to work with. The ended up with a lot of dead cap.

In addition to contracts expiring and future cooking, there are void years, new player contracts, contract extensions, and random events like COVID potentially impacting the cap. Oh, and revenue is growing, but it's not going to grow infinitely. Eventually there's only so much appetite for the sport and something else could come along. That said I do think the cap will continue to grow in the foreseeable future, but contracts will grow as well. Reggie White signed for 4yr/17M back in the day.

I don't completely disagree with you, I just think you're presenting a slanted perspective, presumably to be glib.

Sud’s logic:

Gary’s new contract doesn’t increase the current cap hit against the Packers cap, the 2023 cap.

Then posts quotation saying the extension causes an increase in cap hit against the 2023 cap.
    Yep, now you're just arguing to argue. A SMALL AMOUNT, FFS!!! And if you are still trying to argue this team isn't in cap hell THIS year, it's a good thing you still flip burgers.

Yep, now you're just arguing to argue. A SMALL AMOUNT, FFS!!! And if you are still trying to argue this team isn't in cap hell THIS year, it's a good thing you still flip burgers.
    Yo, you’re the one who argued the Gary extension “doesn’t INCREASE current cap hit.”

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Gary’s cap hit went from 10.9 to 11.7 post extension. I realize that the increase ain’t that phat, but I ain’t the one who doesn’t understand elementary math. An increase is an increase, no matter how phat.

And would you argue that backloaded contracts post the risk of a “cap hell” in the future? According to know it all Packerrats capologists, the “dead money” of Butte, Amos, Lewis, Cobb, among others, is primarily the reason the Packers are in a cap hell.

If so, wouldn’t it be unwise for a team already drowning in cap hell to keep handing out phat, backloaded contracts? The Fucking Center got paid in December or January. Gary now got paid. Looks like the Packers will be in cap hell for a long ass fucking time.

Oh wait, cap hell is short-term, right? If so, who cares that the Packers are in a cap hell today since they’re just gonna escape said hell tomorrow?

Gary’s extension is proof that the Packers were never - and are not - in a “cap hell.”
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 10-31-2023 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Studying the definition of pomp.