Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Rasul Douglas Traded To Bills

A 39 year old TE is not worth keeping. 2 catches for 24 yards on a team as bad as we are.
    I liked Rasul, but IMO, he has maybe 1 or 2 good years left.
    I would have tried to unload Jones and Smith this year too.

Getting rid of Gute is certainly worth discussion at the end of this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    A 39 year old TE is not worth keeping. 2 catches for 24 yards on a team as bad as we are.
    I liked Rasul, but IMO, he has maybe 1 or 2 good years left.
    I would have tried to unload Jones and Smith this year too.

Getting rid of Gute is certainly worth discussion at the end of this year.

Rasul is just 29 and could have several good years left
    You are missing the value of Lewis completely IMO
    Odds are nobody wanted Preston or Jones or we've have two more 5th round draft picks
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Rasul is just 29 and could have several good years left
    You are missing the value of Lewis completely IMO
    Odds are nobody wanted Preston or Jones or we've have two more 5th round draft picks
    It wouldn't matter if a team was interested. The Packers didn't have the cap room available to trade Smith or Jones.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    It wouldn't matter if a team was interested. The Packers didn't have the cap room available to trade Smith or Jones.
    Exactly, if we traded Jones we would have been $2,000,000 over the cap. 4 Mil over if we traded Smith.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Exactly, if we traded Jones we would have been $2,000,000 over the cap. 4 Mil over if we traded Smith.
    Everybody was reporting we were trying to shop Preston and that's get Van Ness max opportunity
    I'm sure there was a way; perhaps converting something to a signing bonus or something
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Everybody was reporting we were trying to shop Preston and that's get Van Ness max opportunity
    I'm sure there was a way; perhaps converting something to a signing bonus or something
    Actually trading Smith would have cleared a little cap space this year. It would have created a bunch of dead cap next year.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

General comments on remarks in this thread:

I hated to see Douglas go, but......

Moving from the 5th round to the 3rd round is more significant than has been implied. I think some of you are forgetting that there will be 10 or so compensatory draft picks awarded at the ends of the 3rd and 4th rounds. Even if the move is from #1 in round 5 to #32 in round 3, it will likely be more than 40 spots.

The added draft capital can be bundled with others in trades. Maybe from round 2 back into late round 1, both 3s to mid round 2, etc. They will now have a lot more flexibility to maneuver around in the draft.

I suspect the thinking was Douglas would be released next offseason anyway for cap management purposes. Any more wins he would aid in this year are meaningless. Might as well see if Valentine or Stokes when he returns can be the guy for 2024 and beyond. 2023 is a player evaluation year.

This was probably the right thing to dp, given the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

Moving from the 5th round to the 3rd round is more significant than has been implied. I think some of you are forgetting that there will be 10 or so compensatory draft picks awarded at the ends of the 3rd and 4th rounds. Even if the move is from #1 in round 5 to #32 in round 3, it will likely be more than 40 spots.

The added draft capital can be bundled with others in trades. Maybe from round 2 back into late round 1, both 3s to mid round 2, etc. They will now have a lot more flexibility to maneuver around in the draft.

I suspect the thinking was Douglas would be released next offseason anyway for cap management purposes. Any more wins he would aid in this year are meaningless. Might as well see if Valentine or Stokes when he returns can be the guy for 2024 and beyond. 2023 is a player evaluation year.

And how happy would any of us be if Guter did what his counterpart in Chicago just did?? They traded a second-round pick for a Rashan-Gary-like pass rusher and gave him a big extension. And the are 2 - 6. Was that a good move? I wonder what Packer fans think.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    And how happy would any of us be if Guter did what his counterpart in Chicago just did?? They traded a second-round pick for a Rashan-Gary-like pass rusher and gave him a big extension. And the are 2 - 6. Was that a good move? I wonder what Packer fans think.
    How’s their cap and free agency looking? We’ll be through now 65m of Cap and another 20m for Bacteria.

We need a vet WR, TE, LT and at least a decent backup QB. That’s like 30m needed alone.

We have like a dozen players entering FE and imagine we need another 20m for some of those folks (Nixon, Savage, Yosh).

What the Bears did was dumb. Giving up draft capital AND paying top dollar means that Sweat better play like LT next season.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

wait????

where the fuck did patler come from?

When did Patler become an expert on double penetration?
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Wrong thread.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looked like an upgrade on the field to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Looked like an upgrade on the field to me.
    Yeah. And sometimes if you’re robbing a bank, you have to go in and shoot one of their friends right away to show them you mean business. Axing ‘Sul was a message.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought it was to let him go play with a contender and avoid him turning malcontent around the young guys. Maybe to get good PR with NFL players. Likely had been some shit talking by him behind closed doors. Probably a wacko like you.

I did forget about all the comp picks, so thats a fair point. I disagree that they would have released him after the season though. And if they had it would have been a bad move. I believe that if the organic improvement happens this team will be in the thick of the playoffs next season and pro like Douglas would have been invaluable. As for added maneuverability, we already have an extra 2nd, and now we are light a 5th. Yes, it adds some, I just don't think it was worth it.

Today we beat a bad Rams team with a jag QB and a PS RB. Also teams coming off playing the cowboys physical D are 1-7 v. the spread this year. I heard that and bet the Pack today. But the team did what they needed to. I can't fault them for that. There is still a lot of room to improve. Still some holes that can't be fixed within the current roster. I'm still hoping that they draft some serious OL help early next year.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I hated to see Douglas go also. Do you suppose the quality of Carrington Valentine had anything to do with the trade? He played damn good in the preseason, and he played damn good against the Rams. Maybe, Gutekunst and LaFleur know more than the dumbass negativists in here give them credit for.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Agree with patler - hated to see Rasul go, but was probably the right move. There is a big difference between a R3 and R5 pick, and GB will get comp pick(s) for Lazard and others who signed elsewhere. They'll have plenty of draft ammo to move around or get (hopefully) better/cheaper and younger.
    Sul was a good locker room guy and a leader on the team, it hurts to lose those guys but Gute did him a favor sending him to a playoff caliber team.

Montez Sweat basically got Rashan Gary money. He's a good player and will help their DL, but they had to give up a R2 for that. Given the pass rushers likely to come out this next draft, it might not be a bad move. Sweat is probably as good if not better than any of them. They just won't get surplus value for him because of the draft pick and big salary.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I hated to see Douglas go also. Do you suppose the quality of Carrington Valentine had anything to do with the trade? He played damn good in the preseason, and he played damn good against the Rams. Maybe, Gutekunst and LaFleur know more than the dumbass negativists in here give them credit for.

This could be the case.