Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Rasul Douglas Traded To Bills

Stokes to IR, season over. Jaire suspended for being a bitch. Playoffs on the line. Gutes should be forced to answer why trading a pros pro for a later 3rd was too good to pass up.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Stokes to IR, season over. Jaire suspended for being a bitch. Playoffs on the line. Gutes should be forced to answer why trading a pros pro for a later 3rd was too good to pass up.
    'cause they're not playing for this year. They kinda want to lose.

Blog Entries
    Gute was going to cute Rasul next year; that was the consensus with the media.

But it was crap; he was worth the money and on a team that doesn't have many leaders they lost a really good one
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

It sure would be interesting to know WHO was the primary one pushing for Douglas to be traded - LaFleur, Barry, Gutekunst? And WHAT their reason was.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    It sure would be interesting to know WHO was the primary one pushing for Douglas to be traded - LaFleur, Barry, Gutekunst? And WHAT their reason was.

IMO it was undoubtedly GUTEBAG

Go check out the interviews with the coaching staff afterword. Both sounded very unhappy and came out with the it's a business/it is what it is attitude.

Just the week before MFL tried leaning on Rasul and Preston to help send massages to the younger players. RASUL was a coaches fave.

This was all GUTER;in the inverview he said he was not looking to do it but the Bills called late and gave an offer that was too good to turn down. Personallly I didn't think it was that great
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    IMO it was undoubtedly GUTEBAG

Go check out the interviews with the coaching staff afterword. Both sounded very unhappy and came out with the it's a business/it is what it is attitude.

Just the week before MFL tried leaning on Rasul and Preston to help send massages to the younger players. RASUL was a coaches fave.

This was all GUTER;in the inverview he said he was not looking to do it but the Bills called late and gave an offer that was too good to turn down. Personallly I didn't think it was that great
    It was Gute. He was admirably embracing the tank. But it looks like a bad call because this team is probably closer next year than it seemed. Rasul would have had at least one more good year in him. And it’s possible now the shoddy secondary could be the reason we don’t make it next year.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Rasul is having a big game today.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Yep, 2 picks last I saw. But seriously, who could have predicted the guy who was the #10 CB in PFF rankings would be a valuable commodity.

BUF needed bodies at CB, they were decimated there. A R3 pick is pretty good for a 29 year old CB who doesn't have great speed and gambles. He's very smart, can be a ballhawk, and seems like a good dude/leader in the locker room. I wish him nothing but success and enjoyed his play as a Packer. He's had a good season and the Packers would have benefitted this year by keeping him.

I think at the time GB's playoff chances looked bad and getting a Day 2 pick and cap relief is a win.

They can use that pick to draft a CB who will be younger and cheaper. Definitely doesn't help them now, but I think almost every move this year is made with the future in mind. Specifically on the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    BUF needed bodies at CB, they were decimated there. A R3 pick is pretty good for a 29 year old CB who doesn't have great speed and gambles. He's very smart, can be a ballhawk, and seems like a good dude/leader in the locker room. I wish him nothing but success and enjoyed his play as a Packer. He's had a good season and the Packers would have benefitted this year by keeping him.

I think at the time GB's playoff chances looked bad and getting a Day 2 pick and cap relief is a win.

They can use that pick to draft a CB who will be younger and cheaper. Definitely doesn't help them now, but I think almost every move this year is made with the future in mind. Specifically on the offense.
    You are doing what so many have done. We didn't get a 3rd for Douglas. We got a 3rd for Douglas and a 4th. I will forever view this as a shit trade.

If we get a 22 year old borderline probowler with that 3rd round pick, it’ll feel alright.

Gute has a feel for where the strength is in the draft. Maybe he feels like that’s a sweet spot and wants another shot in that area. I know a year or two back there was some sort of reason the drafts were a little thinner and the depth was supposed to be up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Gute has a feel for where the strength is in the draft. Maybe he feels like that’s a sweet spot and wants another shot in that area. I know a year or two back there was some sort of reason the drafts were a little thinner and the depth was supposed to be up this year.
    That's what I think. That trade suggests Gute feels there's good value in the 3rd round, but not in the 5th round.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

If we get a 22 year old borderline probowler with that 3rd round pick, it’ll feel alright.
    Seems like about a 1/30 chance, no? Especially at 22. Maybe 1/10 at 27 or so.

Blog Entries
    When is the last time we got that out of a 3rd round draft pick ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    When is the last time we got that out of a 3rd round draft pick ?
    This year

You are doing what so many have done. We didn't get a 3rd for Douglas. We got a 3rd for Douglas and a 4th. I will forever view this as a shit trade.
    I thought it was the Packers 5th, not 4th? Right now it looks like a move of about 70 spots if it is the Packers 5th. That's very significant, in my opinion.

Rasul and a R5 pick were traded, not a R4.
    Gute was approached by BUF, he wasn't actively trying to ship Rasul off. It was, in his opinion, too good to pass up. At the time GB was 2-5 and looked pretty lost.

"Obviously in the short term, you lose a good player. That's tough. But, at the same time, looking long term, it's going to be in our best interests." - Gute

You can be mad about it or say it was a bad trade, but it's done. Ultimately I'm not sure how much it has really hurt GB. Won't be able to determine if it was a good trade for a year or more.

Teams aren't going to trade for bad players intentionally, so yeah, we gave up a decent player.
    Packers moved up 70 spots for a guy that was slightly better than his backup and was gone next year. Also, they weren't looking likely to get into the playoffs until this last run of form.

For whatever reason, Rasul wasn't having a good year. Opposing QB's had a passer rating of 109 when targeting him. Valentine and Ballentine have both played considerably better. Rasul's base salary for 2024 was over 6 million. When contacted by Buffalo, I think Gute saw a chance to get something for a guy he was probably going to let go anyway.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen