Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Rasul Douglas Traded To Bills

I like Rasul and was fine with the trade.

And this by no means is anything other than interesting…

We were 2-5 at the trade deadline when we got some value for him.
    And we were 7-3 after the trade.

Are we a better current team without him? Probably not. We might be in the future though. But I’d also be hard pressed to say we would’ve won more games with him either.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    No, trading other players would have made a bigger difference. We could be much worse. For example, if Gary was out all year.

If the results of the game don't change after the trade, how's it a loss to the team?
    Our defense hasn't stopped anyone. If Gary were out we wouldn't stop anyone.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    I like Rasul and was fine with the trade.

And this by no means is anything other than interesting…

We were 2-5 at the trade deadline when we got some value for him.
    And we were 7-3 after the trade.

Are we a better current team without him? Probably not. We might be in the future though. But I’d also be hard pressed to say we would’ve won more games with him either.
    How have the Bills been before and after the trade??

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    How have the Bills been before and after the trade??
    Not bad. They beat MIA for the AFCN division crown and have won 5 in a row.
    I think Joe Barry could have in their Prime Deion and Woodson at CB and he'd make them play 8 yards off.

The 'Allentines or any half competent CB can do that too.

Barry's D will get exposed vs. DAL and we'll all go back to griping about it.

We definitely are gonna see a big contrast in this game about how to deploy your Corners. Back off like Barry tends to which means giving up a LOT of pass plays in front of you but mostly stopping big plays OR play up, take some chances, get some picks, but also risk giving up more big plays - Dallas's way, Whitt's way, Al Harris' way.

I'm kinda on the fence about this. The answer, of course, is do some of both, but then you get into a guessing game with the offense or risk having a sharp QB like Rodgers or Love diagnose what you're doing on that play and taking advantage.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

If they rush 4 and drop 7 and play vanilla zones Dallas will carve them up. They will have to send some pressure or come up with some disguises and wrinkles to throw Dak off his game a little.
    Probably will be a shootout.

It is, as always, about pressure. Ideally up the middle. Clark and Wyatt need to have big games. Then really focus on bracket coverage on Lamb.

Our defense hasn't stopped anyone. If Gary were out we wouldn't stop anyone.
    That's hyperbole. They would have lost every single game if they never stopped anyone, so as bad as they were, they could have been worse.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    If they rush 4 and drop 7 and play vanilla zones Dallas will carve them up. They will have to send some pressure or come up with some disguises and wrinkles to throw Dak off his game a little.
    Probably will be a shootout.
    If fat mike abandons the run like he is prone to do, Gary, Smith, Clark, Wyatt, Brooks can just pin back the ears. We can get after the passer when we don't worry about the run. How committed fat boy is to the run will probably dictate if we win this game or not. If he forgets that running is an option, they probably only score 24-27 on us and we have a shot.

Lets be honest, based on play this season we are over matched. But if fat mike has shown me nothing, he has shown me he can coach his way out of the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    That's hyperbole. They would have lost every single game if they never stopped anyone, so as bad as they were, they could have been worse.
    Right...but its also hyperbole to say we didn't suffer for losing Douglas. We did....and in the playoffs I would really like to have him.

Its ok if you use hyperbole, just don't call me out when I do it back like I'm the bad guy.

At least some of the JSO beat writers thought Rasul would likely be cut for cap space this offseason. If true, getting trading to get another pick inside the top 100 isn't bad.

Gute and his team have been absolutely crushing the ball the last two years. I don’t know how many home runs they have, but they’re hitting for sick average with a lot of doubles at the minimum.

Something tells me Gute is gonna come up with a clutch hit on this pick
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

If fat mike abandons the run like he is prone to do, Gary, Smith, Clark, Wyatt, Brooks can just pin back the ears. We can get after the passer when we don't worry about the run. How committed fat boy is to the run will probably dictate if we win this game or not. If he forgets that running is an option, they probably only score 24-27 on us and we have a shot.

Lets be honest, based on play this season we are over matched. But if fat mike has shown me nothing, he has shown me he can coach his way out of the playoffs.
    My cousin is a huge Dallas fan. I told him we Packer fans used to call him "Fat Mike." He told me Cowboys' fans call him "Dumb Fat Mike."

I have been thinking along the same lines as you - in a tight game, Mikey used to abandon the run. IF the Packers can keep it close and Mikey does that, the Pack has a chance. That, or if the Packers can get out to a lead in the second quarter.

PS - Bobble, just go ahead and take that 'bad guy' role. What the hell, right?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Most Cowboy fans I know are glad to have McCarthy and more glad to have Jerry Jones effectively as GM. They should be.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I doubt they would have made the trade if they had suspected any one of the following:

- the season would abruptly pivot toward a run to the playoffs.
    - Alexander would have a lost season and be questionable for the playoffs.
    - Stokes would be unable to get away from IR.

That all have occurred is unfortunate.

The way I looked at it at the time was that they had 3 starters (Alaxander, Douglas, Stokes) and one potential starter (Vallentine) for just two spots, since none seemed right for slot or a move to safety. They also seemed to have the backup/ST guy in Ballentine. The only one tradeable for value was Douglas, so they made the move.

I am OK with it. Roster management is always a mixture of looking at the present and building for the future. Two months ago it leaned strongly toward building for the future and making the trade supported that.
    Last edited by Patler; 01-12-2024 at 10:51 AM.

Patler, of those 3, only the pivot was unlikely in most eyes. Jaire has had trouble staying on the field for quite some time now and gave no indication it was going to change. Stokes might NEVER be the same again.

I get that the cap purge/fix was on and that factored in a lot. But even if this season was a loss, for his level of play Rasul is on a decent contract. I would be surprised if the Bills cut him after the season. He is also closing in on 30 and at CB that means the end is near. But again, I am not only going to miss him Sunday, but all next year as well.

Patler, of those 3, only the pivot was unlikely in most eyes. Jaire has had trouble staying on the field for quite some time now and gave no indication it was going to change. Stokes might NEVER be the same again.

I get that the cap purge/fix was on and that factored in a lot. But even if this season was a loss, for his level of play Rasul is on a decent contract. I would be surprised if the Bills cut him after the season. He is also closing in on 30 and at CB that means the end is near. But again, I am not only going to miss him Sunday, but all next year as well.
    In the grand scheme, two years of a solid player on a decent contract is like winning a small pot. The draft pick has a chance to be a loss of that small pot or an equal win or a much bigger win. Let’s just see it play out before we start counting the loss without measuring the gain.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Right...but its also hyperbole to say we didn't suffer for losing Douglas. We did....and in the playoffs I would really like to have him.

Its ok if you use hyperbole, just don't call me out when I do it back like I'm the bad guy.
    I was assessing what we really lost. I suggested the drop-off in play wasn't very noticable and it probably didn't change the outcomesof any games.

You tell me if that's equivalent as saying out defense hasn't stopped anyone, so losing our most dominant pass rusher wouldn't have mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I thought it was the Packers 5th, not 4th? Right now it looks like a move of about 70 spots if it is the Packers 5th. That's very significant, in my opinion.
    I just looked it up. You are half correct, it was a 5th. According to the article they should move up roughly 47 spots. You also once pointed out the comp picks so maybe more like 55. Its not nothing, but its no where near Douglas' value.
    I think I'm fully correct!
    How old is the article you read? Were they assuming GB would be in the top of the rounds?

If the draft were held on the current records, they would move from 19th in the 5th to 24th in the 3rd. Thats nearly 60 more players available to them just there. Then add in the comp picks at the ends of the 3rd and 4th rounds they will also leap frog (10 or so, give or take) and you get close to 70.
    Now we know.
    Packers received pick #91 from the Bills.
    Bills received pick #159 from Green Bay.
    A move of 68 picks for Douglas.

Now we know.
    Packers received pick #91 from the Bills.
    Bills received pick #159 from Green Bay.
    A move of 68 picks for Douglas.
    Considering where we are at safety now, I'm not so sure I wouldn't like to have just kept Rasul and picked #159.

But hindsight is easy. Things looked a lot different that week.