Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Official Packers Vs. Steelers Game Day Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    Maybe, but with 8 lined up at the goal line, he had to throw. No real chance. An 8 player zone across the end zone is almost impossible to beat.
    Seemed like a good time to setup a screen play.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Or you sign Richard Rogers for one play.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe1027 View Post
    Screen plays work best when you catch a team in a blitz. I don't think it would have worked here. They would have gotten yards, but I doubt it would have gotten them into the end zone. I think the best bet would have been to throw it up high in the end zone and let Watson or Musgrave try to highpoint it.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Somebody said hook and lateral. Those are usually done from too far out for a hail Mary. It would have been interesting to try that from the 30 or wherever they were. That's all hindsight, though. The kid thought he saw a slight opening and hummed a fastball in - a long shot in a near hopeless situation.

They never shoulda been in that situation - the no-call interference on the interception to Watson, the bad call on the lateral, the missed extra point, they should have been ahead or at least in a position to kick a FG for a tie.

Bottom line, though, BLAME JOE BARRY.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jones shoulda run out of bounds. Would have saved them time on the clock. If they have 15 seconds left instead of 3 they could take a couple of shots instead of a desperation heave.
    Also, instead of trying to TDs on the last two possessions, why not kick the FG? They must not have thought they could get the ball back -- which they did, with ~57 seconds left.

Barry's defense has not been great, it's just that the offense has had more issues and gotten all the attention. Holding the LAR to 3 points was nice, but Brett Rypien was cut the next day. Barry's D has been holding teams to about 20 pts/game but it's been a lot of bad teams who aren't afraid to just run the ball and bleed the clock. They still give up a lot of explosive plays (see Andy Herman's tweet this morning, they give up the 6th most per game) and allow too many rushing yards.

I'm not really upset about this loss, mostly because I wasn't expecting them to win, and the fact that they made it competitive and showed some improvement. 'Only' 5 penalties this game, the pass pro was mostly ok, and Reed/Musgrave/Wicks look like they might have a future. Plenty to work on still.

Plenty on their off season shopping list: a new DC, improvements on the OL and run D, a shifty RB, someone who can play slot corner, and at least one new safety. Cap space and draft picks will help.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Somebody said hook and lateral. Those are usually done from too far out for a hail Mary. It would have been interesting to try that from the 30 or wherever they were. That's all hindsight, though. The kid thought he saw a slight opening and hummed a fastball in - a long shot in a near hopeless situation.

They never shoulda been in that situation - the no-call interference on the interception to Watson, the bad call on the lateral, the missed extra point, they should have been ahead or at least in a position to kick a FG for a tie.

Bottom line, though, BLAME JOE BARRY.
    Hook and ladder. And from the 16. Pretty sure the Lumpensteelers had 8 players in the end zone making a Hail Mary not so ideal.

Watson and Doubs (insides) on the left. Wicks, Musgrave, Reed on the right. Throw to Doubs, who then lateral to Watson, who then run upfield toward the blocks of the other 3. Lumpensteelers would not have seen it coming.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Jones shoulda run out of bounds. Would have saved them time on the clock. If they have 15 seconds left instead of 3 they could take a couple of shots instead of a desperation heave.
    Also, instead of trying to TDs on the last two possessions, why not kick the FG? They must not have thought they could get the ball back -- which they did, with ~57 seconds left.

Barry's defense has not been great, it's just that the offense has had more issues and gotten all the attention. Holding the LAR to 3 points was nice, but Brett Rypien was cut the next day. Barry's D has been holding teams to about 20 pts/game but it's been a lot of bad teams who aren't afraid to just run the ball and bleed the clock. They still give up a lot of explosive plays (see Andy Herman's tweet this morning, they give up the 6th most per game) and allow too many rushing yards.

I'm not really upset about this loss, mostly because I wasn't expecting them to win, and the fact that they made it competitive and showed some improvement. 'Only' 5 penalties this game, the pass pro was mostly ok, and Reed/Musgrave/Wicks look like they might have a future. Plenty to work on still.

Plenty on their off season shopping list: a new DC, improvements on the OL and run D, a shifty RB, someone who can play slot corner, and at least one new safety. Cap space and draft picks will help.
    Unlike you, I find this loss to be the most painful thus far. The other losses, the season was young and Love was in the air, filling up the room with stoic hope.

The season is getting old. Love remains in the air, aright - but stinking up the room with the foul aroma of, to borrow Tex, snake-shit. The Packers, collectively, are dumb and soft. The season is lost.

Btw, too lazy to show the work, but the math favors going for a TD rather than kicking a FG. And besides, The Frog would be dumber than Tony ODay if he opted to kick a FG down 4 on 2nd down, the same down that saw Love throw the first dumb pick.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.