Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Week 12 Other Games Thread

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    As I said, I didn't bother to watch the game, but based on these stats, it doesn't seem like Fields was all that bad.. Sometimes, nobody is open deep. You do what you have to do.
    It's obvious he can't read defenses. So Bears have turned him into Captain Checkdown. There was a Stat at one point in the game where Fields had completed 8 passes on 3rd down. Only 4 resulted in 1st downs.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    That was a hot read. They brought the house and the kid had to unload. It was the right decision on his part or he was sacked. The D made a great play to not get blocked and make the tackle.
    Looks like an audible, not a hot read, to me. Hot is when you throw to the open guy after said guy’s defender has blitzed. Audible is a change in play at the LOS.

Looks like Young changed the play, which probably got Reich canned.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's obvious he can't read defenses. So Bears have turned him into Captain Checkdown. There was a Stat at one point in the game where Fields had completed 8 passes on 3rd down. Only 4 resulted in 1st downs.
    This is exactly it. There was a point at the end of the game where they had to complete legitimate passes and he stood there patting the ball completely confused. He eventually completed one easy pass for 20 yards. I think it was the one on his passing chart that was down the field. He is just completely baffled by NFL defense.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Wow, last night's game was a shit show. We shouldn't have a problem beating either of those teams if they continue to play like last night.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Also, 15 of his 27 his completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage. Over half of his completions didn't get past his center.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Is it that Fields is slow reading the field or that the coaches are so afraid of him making a mistake that they have turned him into a scared kid behind the line ?

To many coaches telling you to NOT MAKE A MISTAKE will kill your confidence and make you look lost. Fields threw down field a lot a OSU. Now he looks nothing like that qb. Paralysis by analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Man, I can't figure out Josh Allen. Saw him in two games this year. First game against the Jets, he singlehandedly kept the Jest in the game with interceptions and dumb throws of other kinds. Saw him last night against Philly, and up until the very end he was phenomenal. Incredible throws. And they couldn't tackle him, either.

So which guy is he?
    Brett Favre's bastard son?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Fields can run. And he can spin the ball. Physically he’s everything you want. Prototype.

But the offense is so dumbed down. They’re operating with 1/3 of an NFL playbook. And when he has to drop back and execute a traditional passing game he looks so damn confused, just standing there patting the ball like he had no clue how the play would unfold. He just can’t process the game. He can’t play.
    It took Lamaar Jackson a little longer than others. He has improved a TON as a passer. Fields does look bad, and I have no idea of his work ethic or really the coaching staff in Chicago. But like you said, the physical tools are all there. Its a shame he can't put it together enough to even look semi competent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    Is it that Fields is slow reading the field or that the coaches are so afraid of him making a mistake that they have turned him into a scared kid behind the line ?

To many coaches telling you to NOT MAKE A MISTAKE will kill your confidence and make you look lost. Fields threw down field a lot a OSU. Now he looks nothing like that qb. Paralysis by analysis.
    He had elite talent around him running wide open. The game is much easier that way. One of the "plus" factors I read on Love. "His senior year WR were so bad he will be the only QB to enter the NFL throwing to WR who are more open than he had in college"

Fields is a slow processer and a big game hunter. It's why he gets sacked a lot. He had a very good OL and receivers around him at OSU, and I suspect the offense was not nearly as complicated as anything on the pro level.
    I think those factors helped mask deficiencies in his game, and those will get exposed in the NFL. Disguised coverage confuses him and the pass rush makes him nervous.

To be clear, I'm not saying he's dumb, being a pro QB relies upon very fast mental processing and few can do it.

The question is whether he can be coached into reading a defense faster or not, I suspect experience will help but ultimately he probably needs a scheme that will meet him halfway... hence the short throws.
    Being Checkdown Charlie can move the chains and win a few games -- until teams figure you out on film and squat on the routes.

I think Dobbs just had some bad luck with tipped balls, but he also had some poor throws and terrible decisions where he just didn't see the defender. They've done better with him that I thought they would, they're 6-6 and have a bye to figure things out and get Jefferson back.

That was a pretty terrible game though. Neither one seemed capable of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    It took Lamaar Jackson a little longer than others. He has improved a TON as a passer. Fields does look bad, and I have no idea of his work ethic or really the coaching staff in Chicago. But like you said, the physical tools are all there. Its a shame he can't put it together enough to even look semi competent.
    It’s a shame he can’t put it together? If you’re a Packer fan, it’s G-R-R-R-E-A-T!!!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I get the sense that Fields isn't able to read a defense and know who will be open against the defense before they're open. He needs to spot an open guy and then fire it. He has all the physical tools. So did Trubisky. He just can't break down a defense with his mind, and doesn't look like he can move a safety with his eyes.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen