Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More Banjo: Pussies of Detroit, Game 2

Uh, I think in today's NFL, most Guards are bigger than most O Tackles.
    You got it backwards. most guards might be heavier, but they aren't bigger in terms or height or arm length.
    Even if you look at GB's roster, the OT's are on average both taller and heavier.

GB's guards on the roster are listed at 321, 311, 310 and 307 (Rhyan, Jenkins, Newman and Runyan Jr. respectively)
    GB's tackles are listed at 370, 324, 314, and 304 (Jones, Walker, Njiman, Tom) Bakhtiari is 310.

I'll stop there, your OL expertise has been well debunked previously.

Aaron Jones was averaging over 5ypc across his entire career and never averaged less than 4.6 until this year, where he's averaging 3.7 ypc on 66 attempts. That's...not good. I agree injuries have impacted his efficiency, but I'd say the OL's poor run blocking has impacted it more. Dillon's ypc is down as well (averaged 4.1 last year, averaging 3.4 this year). If all your backs are struggling, you have to look at the run blocking. 2/5 of that is Runyan and Myers, who are not grading out well by analytics.

Some people prefer the big road grading types. They are fun to watch and great if you run a lot of power, but those guys are also often slower footed and can be liabilities in pass pro. GB has preferred lighter players who are agile enough to zone block or do a certain amount of pin and pull. They also prioritize players who are good pass blockers, if they can't run block they try to coach them up (see: Walker, Rasheed). The theory being that pass pro is more important for keeping your franchise QB upright and getting explosive plays down the field.
    If you don't like the type of OL that GB does, you'll be constantly frustrated by the blocking and scheme GB uses.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Uh, I think in today's NFL, most Guards are bigger than most O Tackles.
    As usual when you start with "I think" you would be wrong. Anyone with time can look it up. Tackles average an inch and a half taller and 1 pound heavier. I would argue the weight is much more than that as teams don't usually change the listings from the combine, but most tackles add weight to their larger frame. Bak is still listed at 310, but plays at around 330 if I'm guessing.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Congrats, bobblehead, you've sunk to the level of those whiny piss ant truth squaders. I guess I shoulda said about as heavy.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Congrats, bobblehead, you've sunk to the level of those whiny piss ant truth squaders. I guess I shoulda said about as heavy.
    Despite the so called facts proving you wrong, I still see what you said as being correct in a practical sense. Tackles are 1.5” taller and have longer arms, but outside of a negligible pound, they’re the same weight as guards. Guards are shorter and just as heavy. Functionally, that’s a bigger guy. Stalkier, more stout, less athletic, stronger.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Aaron Nagler
    @AaronNagler
    NFL announces that the game between the Packers and Lions averaged 33.7 million viewers, the most-watched early Thanksgiving Day game on record. That's a lot of people who will remember never seeing Jordan Love with a turkey leg.
    Never forget the turducken snub.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

yea, me and that clown Patler with our facts. Annoying when you are wrong all the time, but kinda neat if you want the truth. Next time instead of making me show you how wrong you are why don't you just check before blurting out whatever comes to your feeble old mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Despite the so called facts proving you wrong, I still see what you said as being correct in a practical sense. Tackles are 1.5” taller and have longer arms, but outside of a negligible pound, they’re the same weight as guards. Guards are shorter and just as heavy. Functionally, that’s a bigger guy. Stalkier, more stout, less athletic, stronger.
    But that also simply isn't true. Again, guards usually weigh in around 315 in reality once they get a year or 2 in the league, while tackles, with longer frames generally tip in around 330 I'd bet. Since the NFL doesn't update these numbers its impossible to say exactly. But honestly, just look at any OL and the Tackles are clearly bigger men. They make better guards because they have a lower center and play with more leverage. Tackles have to be longer on the edge to engage a pass rusher. Generally if they aren't heavy enough a bull rush knocks them on their ass. Tackles are simply bigger, longer stronger and more athletic. Thats just a fact no matter how much you guys don't want it to be. Sometimes they have trouble playing G because DTs are short and play with immense leverage and will push the longer guys back into the QBs lap. Sometimes they can be great at both (Jenkins). Usually those guys end up tackles. I am very surprised Jenkins isn't manning the LT position, but I think after he wasn't fully recovered (or has issues on the right side) and played poorly at RT they decided to stop moving him.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Never forget the turducken snub.
    Incredibly disappointing and you could tell he was excited about it.