Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Losers and Worse Losers - MNF meltdown

Bobble, why would a guy who’s best trait is his ability to move his feet in pass pro and defend a lot of space a better fit at guard??
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

We’ve seen decent guards that size…. Wahle, Colledge, Jenkins, etc….

But none of those guys had Tom’s feet in pass pro. If they had tackle feet they would have been where Tom is, at tackle.

The only way the Packers are moving Tom to Guard is if they feel they have 2 other Tackles as good or better than him. Not likely.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The only way the Packers are moving Tom to Guard is if they feel they have 2 other Tackles as good or better than him. Not likely.
    Replace “Tom” with “Jenkins.” Now what say you?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Replace “Tom” with “Jenkins.” Now what say you?
    I think Tom is a better Tackle than Jenkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I think Tom is a better Tackle than Jenkins.
    I don't know if that is true today, but when Jenkins played a stretch at LT he was MUCH better than Tom is right now.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Bobble, why would a guy who’s best trait is his ability to move his feet in pass pro and defend a lot of space a better fit at guard??
    Because he isn't large enough to negate a bull rush, and his great footwork merely overcomes his lack of length. He is very good, but I don't see the traits necessary to be elite. He has already peaked as a tackle.

We’ve seen decent guards that size…. Wahle, Colledge, Jenkins, etc….

But none of those guys had Tom’s feet in pass pro. If they had tackle feet they would have been where Tom is, at tackle.
    College probably should have been a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't know if that is true today, but when Jenkins played a stretch at LT he was MUCH better than Tom is right now.
    Didn't he look like total ass in his second starting stint, though?

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ishmael View Post
    Didn't he look like total ass in his second starting stint, though?
    Coming off the injury. Also playing on the right side. Not sure which/both/whatever caused it, but he wasn't good. He has had some off games this year as well. I can put some of that on the musical chairs at LT hurting his chemistry and making him try to do a bit too much. He has also had some games where he just owned it in the run game.

We all know pff isn’t perfect, but they have Tom as a top 5 RT. Hes looked good by the eyeball test as well. Even when pff is off, they’re usually not way off. So he’s top 10 or better and probably not 10.

You’re not looking to replace Tom at Rt.

I don't think Tom is big enough to play G, he looks small at T. He does have the feet and technique to handle outside rushers, who are usually lighter than the big heavy DT's who would line up against him inside. I guess the only caveat there would be if he gets help from Myers at times.
    I do think he could be very good a C, I'd put him there before G, but I think they want to avoid a Billy Turner situation, where they yoyo him and play him all over. I think that messes with their heads and technique/habits. Also, T make more money so he's gonna want to play there.

I think he's fine at T. Yeah he may or may not be elite, but he's faced a murderer's row of edge rushers this year and held up fine. Why move him unless you have to?
    It's easier to find an IOL, and lower in the draft, than a T. He's not the ideal RT you'd cook up in a lab, but neither is Bahktiari, and he did fine for years.

Let him be at RT and draft better guys around him, and let that OL go to work. Runyan is the weakspot on the OL at this point anyway.

Also, just because someone can play on the left or right side doesn't mean they can do both. It's mirror image technique and until recently wouldn't expect an OL to be able to do it well without some time, and even then some players struggle with it. I wonder if Runyan would be better at LG since IIRC that's where he started his first year, and was a LT at Michigan.

We all know pff isn’t perfect, but they have Tom as a top 5 RT. Hes looked good by the eyeball test as well. Even when pff is off, they’re usually not way off. So he’s top 10 or better and probably not 10.

You’re not looking to replace Tom at Rt.
    Correct, I am not looking to replace Tom. I'm looking to replace Runyan and Myers.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I don't think Tom is big enough to play G, he looks small at T. He does have the feet and technique to handle outside rushers, who are usually lighter than the big heavy DT's who would line up against him inside. I guess the only caveat there would be if he gets help from Myers at times.
    I do think he could be very good a C, I'd put him there before G, but I think they want to avoid a Billy Turner situation, where they yoyo him and play him all over. I think that messes with their heads and technique/habits. Also, T make more money so he's gonna want to play there.

I think he's fine at T. Yeah he may or may not be elite, but he's faced a murderer's row of edge rushers this year and held up fine. Why move him unless you have to?
    It's easier to find an IOL, and lower in the draft, than a T. He's not the ideal RT you'd cook up in a lab, but neither is Bahktiari, and he did fine for years.

Let him be at RT and draft better guys around him, and let that OL go to work. Runyan is the weakspot on the OL at this point anyway.

Also, just because someone can play on the left or right side doesn't mean they can do both. It's mirror image technique and until recently wouldn't expect an OL to be able to do it well without some time, and even then some players struggle with it. I wonder if Runyan would be better at LG since IIRC that's where he started his first year, and was a LT at Michigan.
    You are usually spot on, but you miss a point. Big guys are beaten through leverage, not bulk. Tom is the right stature to get low with 6'2" 380lb DL. However, OTs need bulk because they are in space and an edge gets a head of steam and bull rushes him. In those cases you need mass to negate that. Then you need length so that when they shift at the last second you can punch and slide to negate that move.

As for the money, LTs get the top dollars, RTs are close to guards. Tom can play both. I'm guessing they are looking forward and hoping they can replace Runyan easier than finding a RT if Tom moves inside. Personally I think they need a new LT and one of those guys should play the right side.

I'm only looking at RIGHT NOW. Right now I think moving Yosh to the RT and kicking tom inside improve the OL overall.

So Tom can’t handle the bull rush of a 270lb edge, but he’s better suited to take on bull rushes from 330lb DTs?? You make no sense here, bobble, none.

I'm only looking at RIGHT NOW. Right now I think moving Yosh to the RT and kicking tom inside improve the OL overall.

Right now, yeah, it’s possible. I’d rather see them stick Rhyan in at guard and keep Tom at tackle and get a better feel for our younger guys. Yosh is gone after this year anyway.

You are usually spot on, but you miss a point. Big guys are beaten through leverage, not bulk. Tom is the right stature to get low with 6'2" 380lb DL. However, OTs need bulk because they are in space and an edge gets a head of steam and bull rushes him. In those cases you need mass to negate that. Then you need length so that when they shift at the last second you can punch and slide to negate that move.
    I 100% agree that leverage is important, and Tom's technique and use of leverage would be what gets him by on the inside. I don't think he has the bulk/strength to anchor, so that would be how he could compensate - with technique. I do think in short yardage he'd get destroyed, and I also think his talents are better suited at RT at this point, with draft picks at LT and RG to shore up the line. (And C)

If Tom were to be moved inside, I think it would be to Center, not Guard. Steno has already said it might be his best position.

So Tom can’t handle the bull rush of a 270lb edge, but he’s better suited to take on bull rushes from 330lb DTs?? You make no sense here, bobble, none.
    I make perfect sense. You just don't understand it because you never played OL

I make perfect sense. You just don't understand it because you never played OL
    Please enlighten us.