Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Buccaneers

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Packers ain’t mathematically eliminated from the wally dance with this loss. But I have better odds of making it big in Hollywood as a screenwriter/lyricist AND dating Jennifer Lawrence than the Packers have of making the playoffs.

A second straight non-playoffs season means the Packers would be eligible for Hard Knocks, unless they can The Frog. I hope the NFL forces the Packers to be on that fucking show.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 12-18-2023 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Flipping burgers.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

I seriously miss Dom Capers. I miss the Psycho, DB blitzing and the fucking zone blitz.

Barry looks like a dead man walking. Odds are good he ain’t gonna be back next season. Might as well can the vanilla coach already and use the last 3 games as a platform for an assistant to audition for the DC gig.

I’d like to see The Frog give the DB coach, Greg Williams, a shot.

I think the Packers would love to not be on Hard Knocks. Well, MLF and Gute anyway. Distractions for a young team, and they like to keep things buttoned up anyway.
    Only team who would like it less would be the Patriots with Belichick. Can you imagine him with film crews everywhere?

Capers defense was good until people figured it out, and once he made it phone book sized so only vets could play in it. Offenses are better about turnovers now, so a defense that is predicated on turnovers is unlikely to be as successful. Still, I agree a more agressive defense with tighter coverage would likely have improved GB's chances in recent games.

Disagree on giving an assistant a chance... hiring the interim guy to be the guy the next season never works out well, and I think it just becomes a distraction and adds to the drama. They're still technically in the hunt, they won't waver now. They didn't when they were 4-8 (or 8-8, or 8-9) last year. I want Barry gone, but I don't think it happens mid-season (if ever). I do agree Greg Williams has helped the secondary out vs. Jerry Gray, most likely because Gray disagreed with Barry and probably wouldn't/couldn't get on same page with him. He'd be worth keeping around, but I don't think making him DC is the way.

Chris Godwin is a good player, but Barry's D made him look like Justin Jefferson.

Also - remember when David Moore played (that one game) for Green Bay back in 2021? No? He did.

Need to stop throwing to the old guys.

Zach Kruse
    @zachkruse2

Correction!

#Packers QB Jordan Love when targeting rookies Dontayvion Wicks, Jayden Reed, Tucker Kraft and Malik Heath vs. Bucs:

19/24 for 235 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 135.2 passer rating
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Andy Herman
    @AndyHermanNFL
    3rd and 4.
    Down 7.
    8:48 left in the game

Packers might as well be playing 9 on 11 because the safeties are in Escanaba.

Complete to Godwin with Campbell/Quay in zone.

Situational tone deafness is a real problem. Donate today.

Yeah, our DBs weren't great, but they were adequate - and damn good considering the low level mostly that we got them at. Where the Packers D really stunk was at ILB. Walker has some good qualities, but he can't pass cover worth shit, and most of his tackles are down field after a large gain. Campbell was just pathetic all around.

The problem, though, was God damned Joe Barry putting them in impossible spots with his scheme, and then just letting the situation fester instead of adjusting. Other teams - probably almost 31 others - do a lot better with the same or worse talent.

Love was 29-39, 280+ yards, 2 TDS, no picks ....... that ought to be good enough to win a game.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    wow

3rd and 4 and our safety is 23 yards past the first down marker

16 yards deeper then the deepest WR

and whats worse, it looks like both CBs released their guys at the LOS

Yeah, our DBs weren't great, but they were adequate
    If they were adequate, they wouldn't be giving up that much space or getting burned that badly.
    The pass defense is playing below adequate. Which throws did Baker make that would be considered difficult? He had two incompletions at halftime and six for the game. He almost had as many TDs as incompletions. That's not good pass defense.
    I agree the ILBs didn't play well - especially Devondre - but the secondary was very bad.

This was a failure of the pass defense - both coaching and execution. The Bucs didn't really have to run much because Baker had easy throws. I can't think of a single 3rd down in the game where I thought GB would stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    If they were adequate, they wouldn't be giving up that much space or getting burned that badly.
    The pass defense is playing below adequate. Which throws did Baker make that would be considered difficult? He had two incompletions at halftime and six for the game. He almost had as many TDs as incompletions. That's not good pass defense.
    I agree the ILBs didn't play well - especially Devondre - but the secondary was very bad.

This was a failure of the pass defense - both coaching and execution. The Bucs didn't really have to run much because Baker had easy throws. I can't think of a single 3rd down in the game where I thought GB would stop them.
    The part I've put in boldface type is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off about you Barry-bashers: you complain and complain and bitch and whine that a Barry defense absolutely cannot stop the run.

And in YOUR OWN POST, you point out that Joe Barry found a way to stop Tampa Bay from running. Yet still you all bitch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Joe Barry sounds like M3. "If my ILB can't cover a 100 catch wr then of course my scheme will fail. Campbell has to do better"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    I think the Packers would love to not be on Hard Knocks. Well, MLF and Gute anyway. Distractions for a young team, and they like to keep things buttoned up anyway.
    Only team who would like it less would be the Patriots with Belichick. Can you imagine him with film crews everywhere?

Capers defense was good until people figured it out, and once he made it phone book sized so only vets could play in it. Offenses are better about turnovers now, so a defense that is predicated on turnovers is unlikely to be as successful. Still, I agree a more agressive defense with tighter coverage would likely have improved GB's chances in recent games.

Disagree on giving an assistant a chance... hiring the interim guy to be the guy the next season never works out well, and I think it just becomes a distraction and adds to the drama. They're still technically in the hunt, they won't waver now. They didn't when they were 4-8 (or 8-8, or 8-9) last year. I want Barry gone, but I don't think it happens mid-season (if ever). I do agree Greg Williams has helped the secondary out vs. Jerry Gray, most likely because Gray disagreed with Barry and probably wouldn't/couldn't get on same page with him. He'd be worth keeping around, but I don't think making him DC is the way.
    Not saying, guarantee Williams the DC gig for next season. Just saying, give the man a shot in the last 3 games. There’s no point in keeping Barry around anymore since he’s all but Pettined (allow to walk with an expiring contract). Perhaps Williams will call an exotic blitz, something Barry never does.

In the event that Williams pans out and eventually lands a head coaching gig, the Packers will get a 3rd rounder. Hell, the 69ers have received a tons of 3rds for grooming a tons of “minority” head coaches - even got one for Mike McDaniel.

The Packers owe it to the City of Green Bay to be on Hard Knocks. The city paid for the Lambeau renovation. Hard Knocks would provide a bit of a short-term economic boom for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The part I've put in boldface type is the kind of stuff that really pisses me off about you Barry-bashers: you complain and complain and bitch and whine that a Barry defense absolutely cannot stop the run.

And in YOUR OWN POST, you point out that Joe Barry found a way to stop Tampa Bay from running. Yet still you all bitch.
    Before you start typing a reply, Tex, this is bona fide
    sarcasm.

Ole Fritz hates Barry more than he hates Harbaugh for turning his and Bob McGinn’s beloved U of Michigan into a cheating factory.
    Last edited by Anti-Polar Bear; 12-18-2023 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Itching to head back to the poker room.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

Love was 29-39, 280+ yards, 2 TDS, no picks ....... that ought to be good enough to win a game.
    14 points won’t win you too many games in today’s NFL. Coulda gotten another TD. Packers first series, Love had Reed open in the end zone on 4th down. Inaccurately threw OB instead.

The Onion
    @TheOnion
    James Webb Telescope Finds Evidence Of Packers Secondary Lined Up 20 Million Light Years Off Receivers
    1:18 PM · Dec 18, 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    14 points won’t win you too many games in today’s NFL. Coulda gotten another TD. Packers first series, Love had Reed open in the end zone on 4th down. Inaccurately threw OB instead.
    Wasn't it 20, not 14? Or was that sarcasm too?

Were you being sarcastic when you talked about the "bounty gate" guy a our DC? I wouldn't hold that against him, and as I recall, he was a good DC. But the guy is just 12 years younger than me - about 64 years old. Or were you talking about some other Williams?

What I see around the league is a lot of young hot shot DCs. That's what I want for the Packers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Didn't they get the TD anyway? After the fumble just a couple plays later?

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    ·
    43m
    #Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you beat.”

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood

Matt LaFleur says Joe Barry will remain his defensive coordinator rest of this season. On why he's not firing Barry now: "If I thought that was the best solution today, then we'd make that decision."

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    wow

3rd and 4 and our safety is 23 yards past the first down marker

16 yards deeper then the deepest WR

and whats worse, it looks like both CBs released their guys at the LOS
    Yeah, that's Cover-2 with your safeties playing waaayyyy back. I suspect Barry has little faith in his injury replacements which might account for some extra cushion, but that's ridiculous. Those Cover-2 turkey holes are 15 yards wide, no wonder Baker couldn't miss.