Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Banjo - Packers vs Buccaneers

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    ·
    43m
    #Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you beat.”
    Wow. Captain Obvious says, "NO SHIT SHERLOCK" to that.

James Webb Telescope Finds Evidence Of Packers Secondary Lined Up 20 Million Light Years Off Receivers
    Sounds about right.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    It's apparently even worse than it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by PFF
    The Buccaneers had only two contested catch opportunities and gained 182 yards after the catch. Overall, not one of Baker Mayfield’s 22 completions was considered to be contested, and the Bucs averaged 8.3 yards after the catch per completion. The Packers had five different defenders charged with giving up at least 50 receiving yards in coverage.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Just when I think I've seen all of the stats...

Quote Originally Posted by Daire Carragher
    Their overall PFF coverage grade of 29.3 today is the lowest grade of any team in a single game in the last 5 seasons.
    Historical defense?

Yes. Just not the good kind.
    "Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

Best, worst PFF grades:

Top 5 offense

1. LT Rasheed Walker: 88.7
    2. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 78.8
    3. WR Jayden Reed: 76.3
    4. LG Elgton Jenkins: 75.5
    5. RT Zach Tom: 73.0

Walker gave up just one pressure (hit) over 26 pass-blocking snaps and earned an elite 90.7 grade as a run blocker. Wicks caught six of seven targets, gained 43 yards after the catch and averaged over 3.0 yards per route run. Reed made a contested catch, caught six passes overall and also averaged over 3.0 yards per route run. Jenkins allowed one hurry over 43 pass-blocking snaps and was effective in the run game. The same goes for Tom; one pressure allowed (hurry), solid as a run blocker. The offensive line, for the most part played well.

Top 5 defense

1. OLB Kingsley Enagbare: 90.7
    2. DL TJ Slaton: 69.0
    3. OLB Lukas Van Ness: 68.3
    4. S Jonathan Owens: 66.3
    5. OLB Rashan Gary: 62.4

Enagbare played 25 snaps, but his one impact snap — a sack, strip and recovery — produced an elite pass-rushing grade. Slaton had three run stops over 23 snaps against the run. Van Ness had a sack and a run stop over 26 snaps. Owens was in on 10 tackles without a miss and had two stops, earning himself a near-elite tackle grade. Gary had four hurries and a run stop.

Bottom 5 offense

1. C Josh Myers: 45.0
    2. RG Sean Rhyan: 47.5
    3. TE Josiah Deguara: 52.7
    4. TE Ben Sims: 53.3
    5. RB Patrick Taylor: 55.1

Myers had his hands full with Vita Vea. He allowed one hurry, got penalized for holding and was poor in the run game. Rhyan allowed two hurries and wasn’t good in the run game over a season-high 29 total snaps at right guard. Deguara was below average as a blocker and didn’t produce anything in the passing game. Sims was also deemed to be below average as a run blocker over 10 total snaps. Taylor caught two passes for negative yardage and was credited with giving up a sack in pass pro.

Bottom 5 defense

1. DL Colby Wooden: 26.6
    2. LB Quay Walker: 29.5
    3. CB Carrington Valentine: 34.4
    4. CB Corey Ballentine: 46.0
    5. CB Eric Stokes: 46.8

Wooden earned the team’s lowest run defense grade and didn’t have a pressure over 15 total snaps. Walker missed a tackle, graded very poorly against the run and gave up four catches for 69 yards and a touchdown in coverage. Valentine broke up one pass but otherwise gave up six catches for 68 yards. Ballentine received the defense’s second-lowest coverage grade overall. Stokes allowed four catches on four targets for 67 yards and a touchdown in coverage. Sunday was the Packers’ lowest-graded game defensively and in coverage by a wide margin in 2023.

Special teams

The Packers didn’t have a penalty or a missed tackle on special teams. Tucker Kraft was the highest-graded special teamer, while Jonathan Owens made a tackle. Daniel Whelan had a punt inside the 20-yard line and Anders Carlson made all four of his kicks, including two field goals.

Quarterback

Jordan Love: 66.6

Love hit two passes thrown over 20 yards in the air and was 7-of-10 passing when throwing past 10 yards, but he got dinged for two penalties (including a delay of game) and two turnover worthy plays (including the lost fumble). He was under pressure on just 13 of 41 dropbacks and was excellent from clean pockets (24 of 28 for 214 yards, one touchdown).
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKickass View Post
    It's apparently even worse than it seems...
    That is super depressing.

MLF blamed ‘communication’ a half dozen times in the presser today.

Does Joe know where MLF hid bodies or have incriminating evidence. I’ve never had a boss standup for me like MLF does for Joey.

There were times when miscommunication was happening and it cost them. I still think it was a bad game plan and TB basically ran zone-beaters all day.
    Stokes and Valentine with Ford and Owens aren't a scary group to throw against, and Devondre has lost a step. Nixon is a good KR, but iffy as a PR and slot corner.

Didn't Kenny have 2 sacks? I'm surprised he didn't crack the top 5. Also thought Tucker Kraft had a since day. Wicks was a stud playing like that on a bad ankle.
    Walker has improved, but I'm not seeing elite play like PFF is scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Before you start typing a reply, Tex, this is bona fide
    sarcasm.

Ole Fritz hates Barry more than he hates Harbaugh for turning his and Bob McGinn’s beloved U of Michigan into a cheating factory.
    Almost. Harbaugh’s a self-righteous hypocrite and a jackass to boot; Joe Barely seems a decent guy, but a crummy coach.

Harbaugh in my opinion deserves contempt. Joe just needs to be fired.

By the way, that Onion headline about the Webb telescope was hilarious.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

This doesn't sound great.

De'Vondre Campbell
    @Came_Along_Way
    Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself

De'Vondre Campbell
    @Came_Along_Way
    Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself ������������
    Is this directed at us, the fans squawking and bitching, or the coaches, or both, or nobody knows?

I suppose it's not good, any which way.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer

De'Vondre Campbell
    @Came_Along_Way
    Not going out my way anymore and I’m not playing through injuries anymore cause when shit goes wrong they always use it against you. I’m treating everyone accordingly and giving them the same energy they giving me. Focus on yourself and your mental 59 you owe it to yourself ������������
    That seems to me to suggest that next year we will be posting about De'Vondre in the Former Packers still pursuing the Dream thread.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Is this directed at us, the fans squawking and bitching, or the coaches, or both, or nobody knows?

Could be media. Been a lot of criticism of his play Sunday. Could be coaches. I hope he's not getting worked up about what fans are saying on twitter. Gotta be able to ignore that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Sounds like coaches. Barry has the heat on him. I could see him getting impatient and coming down on guys even though injuries are understandable reasons to not play 100.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Devondre did not have a good game, but I also think he was sometimes hung out to dry.
    He looks a step slow this year and his tackling isn't what it was, which I've attributed to age and injuries. Perhaps injuries are playing a bigger role.

All the same, he was supposed to be a competent LB in coverage and he looked bad vs. Tampa. I suspect the defense got a dressing down and didn't like it, especially given some of the calls. They didn't defend well when Tb went shotgun-empty and the ILBs were supposed to cover Chris Godwin. That's a mismatch. It's one thing to challenge your players to rise to an occasion, it's another thing to set them up for failure. I'm not sure Barry knows the difference.

The twitterverse is treating the tweet as if the remark pointed internally, not at random fans or posters. I think it's just venting and it's better to keep it private, but he made it vague enough to not make a big deal of it.

He might be a former Packer, based on salary, age, injuries, and performance. I do think they need some kind of upgrade at LB to help with the run defense.

He does some media stuff with the local sports radio and probably communicates with other media members. It could be media too. A lot of them were harsh of him and maybe he feels like they act friends to his face, but shit in him as soon as they can.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I'd be pissed if I played ILB, my 4.58 40 times was 5 years behind me and my D Coordinator decided that me covering Godwin was a good plan....

Give me a RB or TE, no problem, but a wr that runs a 4.42 ? What !?!?

Yeah, let's say TB has 11 personnel, so Barry is going to roll out nickel. They are playing Cover-2 or quarters with safeties verrrry far back because they are backups and Barry is a coward.

Then you rush 4, so that gives you 5 players to cover the rest of the field. TB motions Racheed White (a good receiving back) out and now you have empty set, Baker in the shotgun, and it's basically 5 players likely in a zone who have 5 receivers going out in patterns. That's tough to defend.
    Basically they're playing prevent defense.

Devondre did not have a great game and he may be hurt (in Week 15, who isn't) or he may be old or - more likely - both. If he's grumpy, so what. He probably has reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Not saying, guarantee Williams the DC gig for next season. Just saying, give the man a shot in the last 3 games. There’s no point in keeping Barry around anymore since he’s all but Pettined (allow to walk with an expiring contract). Perhaps Williams will call an exotic blitz, something Barry never does.

In the event that Williams pans out and eventually lands a head coaching gig, the Packers will get a 3rd rounder. Hell, the 69ers have received a tons of 3rds for grooming a tons of “minority” head coaches - even got one for Mike McDaniel.

The Packers owe it to the City of Green Bay to be on Hard Knocks. The city paid for the Lambeau renovation. Hard Knocks would provide a bit of a short-term economic boom for the city.
    Wow, that was a good post. Without most of your usual stuff. And not just the usual reasons I like a post by you (they make me chuckle). Although the Mike McDaniel comment did make me chuckle.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Ryan Wood
    @ByRyanWood
    ·
    43m
    #Packers had their defensive meeting this morning with Joe Barry. His message to the defense, according to Eric Stokes: “All the explosive plays, that shit will get you fired
    Had to fix that for Mr. Barry.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.