Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Love - no worse than Rodgers in 2022

Love - no worse than Rodgers in 2022

In my past comparison, looking at the first years as starters for Rodgers and Love, some complained that the comparison was not valid because the game has changed too much. So how about this:

The first 14 games for:

Rodgers 2022/Love 2023

Attempts - 453/486
    Complete - 294/304
    Comp. % - 64.9%/62.6%
    Yards Pass - 3093/3368
    Passing TDs - 23/25
    Interceptions-10/11
    (Sacks-yards)- (27-209)/(28-222)
    (Rushes-yds) - (23-64)/(43-234)
    Fumbles - 7/7

Situation similarities
    - No significant rule changes impacting QB performance.
    - Same coaching staffs.
    - Same offense.

Differences:
    - Rodgers had Bakhtiari for 9 of his game, Love had him for 1.
    - Rodgers had a healthy Jones in a career year for all of his games. This year....
    - Rodgers had the experienced Cobb, Lazard, Tonyan and Lewis running routes. Love has had Doubs and a little bit of Watson as his "experienced" route runners.

Rodgers' trajectory is likely down as he ages into his 40s.
    Love's trajectory should be up as he gains experience.

Genius move by Gute, getting two high second round picks, while being no worse off at QB and becoming a whole career younger at the position.

i would argue that the game had already changed a lot when rodgers took over

the numbers continue to be scary in just how similar they are

I'm actually annoyed that Love has 7 fumbles. Thats way too many. Love is playing decent considering the only guy on the offense who is on a 2nd contract is Jenkins. I would say the future is bright, but oof, that defense.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I thought it through as far as draft capital goes. Love was playing today without a single 1st rounder. 2nd rounders were Myers, Jenkins, Reed.

Basically he is out there with 7 guys on first contracts drafted 3rd round or later. 6 drafted 4th round or later.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'm actually annoyed that Love has 7 fumbles. Thats way too many. Love is playing decent considering the only guy on the offense who is on a 2nd contract is Jenkins. I would say the future is bright, but oof, that defense.
    hopefully, gametime pocket awareness improves the more reps he gets.

he could also use some better linemen

I thought it through as far as draft capital goes. Love was playing today without a single 1st rounder. 2nd rounders were Myers, Jenkins, Reed.

Basically he is out there with 7 guys on first contracts drafted 3rd round or later. 6 drafted 4th round or later.
    thats why its so disgusting that our D looks so terrible

who is our WR and TE coach coachs? those guys seem to be doing a hell of a job getting these young guys to look so good

It’s uncanny how close the statistics are for Rodgers as a first time starter in 2008 and Love as first time starter this year. Now to see that Rodgers’ stats last year mirror Love’s this year borders on weird. At the least, it seems like Love is in good company and looks like he could be our next franchise QB.

Seven fumbles is more than you would want, but it isn't unusual. Rodgers, who valued ball security highly, had 10 fumbles each of his first two years starting and again in 2014. He had 8 in 2015, 2016 and 2022.

I can't be too displeased with Love in that regard.

Also bear in mind the intended starting 11 on offense have never (and will never, bc Bakhtiari) played a snap together. Watson was out Game 1.

The OL struggled early in the year
    The rookie skill players were making a lot of mistakes early
    Love was finding his own way early in the season
    The defense or special teams haven’t tilted the field at all
    The running game has been poor most of the year

Rodgers had a whole list of reasons it was a down year too.

But looking at the early showing of so many of these skill guys, looking at the probable stability on the young OL….. A lot of things can happen to make things pan out differently than you’d expect, but Love could have a very very big year next year with so many things tilting in his favor and his second year starting.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Love had 235 passing yards to rookies today. Can't ever remember a QB who has had to rely as much on rookie receivers.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Comparing Love to an injury-riddled bad year for Rodgers is bogus. The early career comparison is more valid. It will take 8 or 10 or 12 more years to say for sure, but we might have struck gold a third time with Love.

And the idea that Rodgers is trending downward, it's a little too soon to say about that too. I would not be surprised if he has a great season next year and still plays damn good for 3 or 4 more.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Comparing Love to an injury-riddled bad year for Rodgers is bogus. The early career comparison is more valid. It will take 8 or 10 or 12 more years to say for sure, but we might have struck gold a third time with Love.
    Injury riddled??? What a ridiculous, lame excuse. He was healthy enough to start every game and play something like 98% of all offensive snaps. Some snaps he missed were not because of injury.

The year was what it was, no better than Love this year.

Face it Tex, Rodgers is never likely to again be what he was, and likely will have to always play with some nagging physical injuries. It's a fact of life for most 40-year-old pro athletes.

If he plays as you predict, good for him. But there is the chance he becomes one of those guys who stays a year too long and plays like a shadow of his former self.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    And the idea that Rodgers is trending downward, it's a little too soon to say about that too. I would not be surprised if he has a great season next year and still plays damn good for 3 or 4 more.
    Let's see..... He had a 2022 season that was down significantly from his immediate past, and certainly down from career-based expectations. He is following that with a 2023 season that simply isn't. Looks like a two-year downward trend to me.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    If he plays as you predict, good for him. But there is the chance he becomes one of those guys who stays a year too long and plays like a shadow of his former self.
    Dont they all? Seems all the great QBs retire with tears not because they don’t want to because they just physically can’t anymore. About the same as the alpha being ran off by his pack or pride when he is no longer the strongest.

I don't think the rules are drastically different than 2008 when Rodgers took over. The crackdown on illegal contact happened in 2004--after the Patriots mugged Peyton Manning's receivers up and down the field. The protection of QBs started in 2006--though they did go even further after Brady was knocked out for the 2008 season. Brady had his 50 TD season in 2007. Manning had a 49 TD season (his second highest ever) in 2004.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

hahahahahaha Don't bet against Rodgers returning to (or more accurately, retaining) GOAT status.

I was late hopping on the Love Train, but now I'm as sold on him as anybody, a lot more than most, it seems. It's true, the rules make it a little easier now, but not that much. Rising to near the Rodgers level isn't likely for anybody, but as I said, I wouldn't rule it out for Love. And I would not say that for more than a very small handful of current QBs.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

hahahahahaha Don't bet against Rodgers returning to (or more accurately, retaining) GOAT status.
    Yeah, Rodgers isn't the GOAT (he might be on the Mt. Rushmore of QBs) and while it's possible he returns to pre-2022 form, it's unlikely. Age, injury history, rust, and a bad OL are likely to prevent that. The Joe Flacco story is cute, but over a 17 game season old guys get exposed. Or hospitalized.
    You see that hit Zach Wilson took from Bradley Chubb? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WGaaB8TpsY
    Rodgers is seeing triple in the blue tent after taking a hit like that. That OL is trash.
    For several weeks, he's been rolling his eyes on the sideline at his own team lol. The Jets are cursed, and Rodgers and his old-guy crew aren't going to save them.

Aaron Rodgers to the Jets has the makings of the John Hadl trade to the Packers, only for much less draft capital. Barring the Jets greatly improving their Oline in 2024, not sure Rodgers will even still want to play for them.
    60% of the time it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Seven fumbles is more than you would want, but it isn't unusual. Rodgers, who valued ball security highly, had 10 fumbles each of his first two years starting and again in 2014. He had 8 in 2015, 2016 and 2022.

I can't be too displeased with Love in that regard.
    Greetings Patler, hope you are well! Yea, Love seems to be doing ok thus far. Packers and Vikings are a real treat to watch this season.