Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Love - no worse than Rodgers in 2022

Blog Entries
    I don’t think the eye”s lie despite what the stats may say. Karen showed flashes of really high upside early. I don’t see that with Love. I continue to feel he will be just fine. Solid but never spectacular
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I don’t think the eye”s lie despite what the stats may say. Karen showed flashes of really high upside early. I don’t see that with Love. I continue to feel he will be just fine. Solid but never spectacular
    Funny, I'm just the opposite. Every week I see a throw or two that make me take notice. Throws that not every QB will even try, let alone complete. A couple of the TD throws to Reed, a couple to Watson, others in the middle of the field. A couple every week on the run after avoiding the rush, into tight, tight windows, etc.

I worry more about the "easy" ones he misses. Will that cause him to be too inconsistent? He has shown plenty of the unique abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Funny, I'm just the opposite. Every week I see a throw or two that make me take notice. Throws that not every QB will even try, let alone complete. A couple of the TD throws to Reed, a couple to Watson, others in the middle of the field. A couple every week on the run after avoiding the rush, into tight, tight windows, etc.

I worry more about the "easy" ones he misses. Will that cause him to be too inconsistent? He has shown plenty of the unique abilities.
    I agree. Sunday was a perfect example. An absolute dart to Reed for TD while rolling out. A no look pass to Wicks for a big gain. But also a miss to Reed that would have been a TD. Despite some inconsistencies, Love is on pace for about 4100 passing yards and 30 TD's. This while throwing to rookies and 2nd year guys and not much support from a running game. If he improves the inconsistencies, I think his potential upside is as high as any young QB in the NFL.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bretsky shitsky, need to get your eyes checked. Agree with Patler and Postal. Love has flashed some major firepower in just about all the games. If anything it looks like he needs to throttle some throws down. Don’t see him dropping it in a bucket from 50yds like Rodgers could. But that style of passing always caused problems in bad weather, usually in the playoffs. Love also doesn’t fear the middle as Erron seemed to trying to avoid INTs. As mentioned some of his best throws went there.

Those are some nice stats for his season. He has shown enough that I am good with Packers losing the next two in close games then beating the bears to finish on a high note.

6 of the last 8 games the Packers leading receiver has been a rookie. Wicks (2), Reed (2), Kraft, Musgrave.

For the season, 8 different receivers have been the Packers leading receiver for a game: Jones, Wicks (3), Doubs (3), Watson (2), Dillon, Reed (2), Musgrave, Kraft

That's another thing I like that he soaked up from Rodgers - spreading it around.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    That's another thing I like that he soaked up from Rodgers - spreading it around.
    rodgers refused to throw the ball to rookies and is well known for it

rodgers would stare at adams when he was here and stay with him until he ran his entire route, THEN rodgers would start scrambling around looking for other people to get open (after they already ran their routes)

you can't just manufacture shit out of thin air like you do on a daily basis

Rodgers did spread the ball around early in his career (Driver, Nelson, Jennings, Jones). But later in his career he definitely started focusing on one guy. Nelson, then Adams. And he never did like throwing to rookies much.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Man did you start smoking strong weed? You are blanking out. Rodgers was a fucking elitist when it came to throwing his passes it seemed. I would liken it more to Brett spreading the ball to unknown WRs.

My one concern with Love is situational awareness. You know 3rd down and 10 when you know you are going for it on 4th down. So, when the main read is covered, check down and get something. 4th and 5/6 is a heck of a lot easier than 4th and 10, or taking a sack and making it 4th and 17.

There were a helluva lot of games where Rodgers would have completions with 6 or 8 or 10 receivers. Sure, he sometimes avoided rookies; Sure, he threw a lot to Adams, but a LOT of times, he'd have like 8 or 10 to Adams and 15 other completions to 6 or more other guys.

Love, of course, has to throw to rookies because there's not much else out there, and of course also, he doesn't have a Davante Adams (yet) among them - as somebody said in here, 4 or 5 #2 level WRs and arguably better TEs than what we had most of the Rodgers years too.

Spreading it around is the second best thing from Rodgers that I like about Love. The best thing is his tendency NOT to stupidly throw interceptions. One thing where he is different than Rodgers that I really like, and I don't know if this his own doing or LaFleur's, is those deep drops. It always annoyed me that Rodgers very seldom did that - preferring 3 step or whatever drops. Sure, the deep drops can rarely bite you in the ass, but IMO, it helps a lot more often than it hurts.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

I looked back at some 2021 games. The bulk of the passes were to Adams, Jones or Dillon, but sure as shit, as crazy as Tex sounds most of the time, Rodgers did complete passes to 7 or 8 guys on most days. Usually 1 or 2, but yeah, he got everyone involved.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I looked at the 2021 whole season. And yep, Rodgers had as many guys involved as Love does. Well, holy shit, Tex’s wild ass gets em right sometimes too.

Random Stat, Richard Rodgers is the 200th all time leading tight end in receptions. There are 100 tight ends in the NFL right now. There have probably been over 3000 tight ends to play. Just an idea of how many players are in that pool. That puts him as a top 5% most productive tight end of all time

I have 900 tight ends drafted since 1953. Richard Rodgers is the 200th all time. So at minimum, he’s a top 20% all time most productive tight end in NFL history

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I looked back at some 2021 games. The bulk of the passes were to Adams, Jones or Dillon, but sure as shit, as crazy as Tex sounds most of the time, Rodgers did complete passes to 7 or 8 guys on most days. Usually 1 or 2, but yeah, he got everyone involved.
    Rodgers in 2021 targeted Adams on 28% of passes. And that doesn't count the number of times he wanted to go to Adams but had to check down to the backs because Adams was double covered. Love hasn't targeted a single receiver more than 17% of passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post

He has happy feet. They got bad during that run where the OL was a sieve. During the offseason he has to work on setting his feet to throw. It should be an easy fix and then the short stuff won't sail as much.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

You mean like when Adams was catching 60% of the passes when Love was around? I love it when guys shoot out a narrative that is 100% opposite of all evidence. Rodgers shunned rookies, Love embraces them (I'll admit he doesn't really have a choice there).

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    rodgers refused to throw the ball to rookies and is well known for it

rodgers would stare at adams when he was here and stay with him until he ran his entire route, THEN rodgers would start scrambling around looking for other people to get open (after they already ran their routes)

you can't just manufacture shit out of thin air like you do on a daily basis
    Au contraire....he can and does.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    I looked at the 2021 whole season. And yep, Rodgers had as many guys involved as Love does. Well, holy shit, Tex’s wild ass gets em right sometimes too.
    Its not the same. Rodgers may have hit Toure with a TD once. He may have hit 8 different targets. But the bulk of his passes went to Adams. He wasn't looking over his reads the last 2 years. Red described it perfectly.

The idea that Rodgers was utilizing all his players and spreading it around just doesn't play.