Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Love - no worse than Rodgers in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rodgers in 2021 targeted Adams on 28% of passes. And that doesn't count the number of times he wanted to go to Adams but had to check down to the backs because Adams was double covered. Love hasn't targeted a single receiver more than 17% of passes.
    And even more to that point, Adams was the leading pass catcher in nearly all the games I would bet (here is where I could get patlerized cuz I'm too lazy to look).
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Won't say anything about Tex, it's been said already. One thing you can say is that he's got opinions.

RG's observations are interesting, but I think the % of targets is a more telling stat than how many receivers caught a pass. If you throw 14 out of 20 passes to one player, is that really spreading the ball around? Were injuries a reason 15 different people caught a pass over a season?

Rodgers would throw to Adams even when double covered AND other players (usually rookies or check-downs) were open. Go back thru this forum at bad losses where people are screaming about Lazard or Tonyan being wide open, or why he's rolling his eyes at rookies.
    Love doesn't really have a choice, that much is true.

As for Love, I've been more on the side of Bretsky's thinking that the eye test seems like he's missing some essential element that makes him 'It' as an elite franchise QB. He needs to work on his fundamentals, especially his footwork. That will benefit his accuracy, which is another area he is a bit lacking.
    I do think improvement with footwork could bring his accuracy up a tick or two, but I don't see him as a 68% career passer. He might reach 65-66% (hes currently 62.6%) He also needs to stop underthrowing deep passes -- if his accuracy improves there, watch out. I have started to see flashes where he makes a really impressive throw -- the first TD to Reed vs. DET, the jump ball TD to Watson vs. KC, the TD this past week to Reed -- and he's making a throw like that almost weekly. That's encouraging stuff.

He should get better with off season work and experience, and he's already a mid-tier starter. I'm still skeptical he'll ever be top 5, but I think he can crack the top 10... which isn't nothing. I think he's better than Daniel Jones, but so are lots of players.
    I think they will extend him next year to a longer contract, so we better get used to cheering for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    . Red described it perfectly.

well you know. drunken broken clock and twice a day and all that good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Its not the same. Rodgers may have hit Toure with a TD once. He may have hit 8 different targets. But the bulk of his passes went to Adams. He wasn't looking over his reads the last 2 years. Red described it perfectly.

The idea that Rodgers was utilizing all his players and spreading it around just doesn't play.
    bobblehead, as usual, you're late to the game. As I said and several others backed up, there were a lot of games even when Adams was getting all those passes thrown his way where Rodgers still had receptions by a half dozen or more others.

We should be so lucky as to have an Adams level guy develop from our excellent young group. If that happens - Wicks, Watson, whatever, probably Love would do the same as Rodgers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Won't say anything about Tex, it's been said already. One thing you can say is that he's got opinions.

RG's observations are interesting, but I think the % of targets is a more telling stat than how many receivers caught a pass. If you throw 14 out of 20 passes to one player, is that really spreading the ball around? Were injuries a reason 15 different people caught a pass over a season?

Rodgers would throw to Adams even when double covered AND other players (usually rookies or check-downs) were open. Go back thru this forum at bad losses where people are screaming about Lazard or Tonyan being wide open, or why he's rolling his eyes at rookies.
    Love doesn't really have a choice, that much is true.

As for Love, I've been more on the side of Bretsky's thinking that the eye test seems like he's missing some essential element that makes him 'It' as an elite franchise QB. He needs to work on his fundamentals, especially his footwork. That will benefit his accuracy, which is another area he is a bit lacking.
    I do think improvement with footwork could bring his accuracy up a tick or two, but I don't see him as a 68% career passer. He might reach 65-66% (hes currently 62.6%) He also needs to stop underthrowing deep passes -- if his accuracy improves there, watch out. I have started to see flashes where he makes a really impressive throw -- the first TD to Reed vs. DET, the jump ball TD to Watson vs. KC, the TD this past week to Reed -- and he's making a throw like that almost weekly. That's encouraging stuff.

He should get better with off season work and experience, and he's already a mid-tier starter. I'm still skeptical he'll ever be top 5, but I think he can crack the top 10... which isn't nothing. I think he's better than Daniel Jones, but so are lots of players.
    I think they will extend him next year to a longer contract, so we better get used to cheering for him.
    run pMc, I give you credit for being less of a dumbass than most of the "ya'all" community of fools. If Rodgers threw it into double coverage so often or other unwise throws, then how is it that his record of so few interceptions combined with a very decent completion percentage, etc. happened?

As for Love, I pretty much agree with what you said, and that's far more relevant than remembering or misremembering of the past. Most of all, though, I want Love to continue to avoid interceptions. That's what wins games. And hell yeah, we'll be cheering for Love for a long time.

Based upon targeted length of pass, Rodgers % percentage on passes over 10 yards is around 67%, at 15 yards it drops to 59%. This is all based upon a quick peruse of sharpfootballstats

I might be wrong but my gut says that Love attempts slightly more long throws than Rodgers, hence the likely lower completion percentage.

One of my all time fav qb's was Ken Stabler. Love sometimes reminds me of how he played.

Stabler actually threw more interceptions than TD passes in his career. I HOPE Love doesn't get like that.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Stabler actually threw more interceptions than TD passes in his career. I HOPE Love doesn't get like that.
    He was a winner, stats be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    A lot of guys did back then. Plus, Stabler played too long and was pretty bad most of his last 7 years. He had more TD's than INT's in his prime.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

When you look at the stumble bums on the 2021 roster, I would hope Rodgers threw more passes to Adams.

This is a very different roster. Love has a lot of decent developing options and no go-to guy. If he had the 2021 roster you’d see more to Adams, I guarantee it.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    When you look at the stumble bums on the 2021 roster, I would hope Rodgers threw more passes to Adams.

This is a very different roster. Love has a lot of decent developing options and no go-to guy. If he had the 2021 roster you’d see more to Adams, I guarantee it.
    Are they developing because Love throws to them and ARod wouldn't? Isn't it on the QB to get the guys involved no matter who they are?
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

KISS:

Receiver is open = Get him the ball

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Dont they all? Seems all the great QBs retire with tears not because they don’t want to because they just physically can’t anymore. About the same as the alpha being ran off by his pack or pride when he is no longer the strongest.
    Manning, Favre, Brees, Brady, that's just off the top of my head, they were all shells of themselves at the end. Kaaron is already there, he was pretty middlin' last season.

@RobDemovsky
    With three TDs (two passing, one rushing), Jordan Love now has 30 combined passing and rushing scores this season.

He’s the fifth player in Packers history to do so. The others:

Aaron Rodgers (10 times)
    Brett Favre (8)
    Don Majkowski (1)
    Lynn Dickey (1)

Love now has more wins than Rodgers in his first season starting. Not bad considering Barry and the inexperience on the offensive side of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    KISS:

Receiver is open = Get him the ball
    Yeah, throw it to people who can’t catch. Smart. KeEp IT sImpLE
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Love now has more wins than Rodgers in his first season starting. Not bad considering Barry and the inexperience on the offensive side of the ball.
    Even though his stat line wasn’t eye-popping, I was quite impressed with Love in this game. Some solid decision-making, some very good throws. He still seems to throw the ball too high, putting receivers in precarious positions, but all in all, the dude is a professional NFL QB. How good? We don’t know yet, but if he can improve on his accuracy, and because his decision-making will likely get better as he gains experience, he seems to have a high ceiling.

I think they have their QB for at least the next five years, barring injury. And I’m being conservative.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer

Just so we actually know who the stumble bums are:
    Adams, Lazard, MVS, A Jones, Cobb, Dillon, Deguara, M Lewis, Tonyan, E St Bown, Winfree, A Rodgers & Davis
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Official stats show only 15 drops for the whole season in 2021. 3 each by Jones and Devante. 2 for Cobb and Deguara. And 1 drop for 5 others.

-Tim Harmston

It's not on Love to build the roster. If guys can't catch they shouldn't be on the roster.