Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's your opinion of this head coach???

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Hmmmm…… 11 years, we should know who it is. Rex Ryan
    Not 11 years I'm pretty sure.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Lovie was my first guess as well. Yeah, this is a tough one. Looking at lists of coaching candidates for next year, I don't see any clue there either. 11 years is a long time - must have a forgiving owner or multiple stints.

Okay, I googled NFL coaches by win total and nobody has a 79 and 104 record.

Hmmmm…… 11 years, we should know who it is. Rex Ryan
    Gary Kubiak?
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Jason Garrett

Mike McCarthy is probably going to finish with wins totals that put him up around Chuck Knox, Dan Reeves, Chuck Noll, Marty Schottwnheimer, Curly Lambeau.

norm van brocklin, sam wyche and lovie smith are the only 3 i can find with records anywhere close to that

OK, OK; I'm tilting things a bit to make a point. Those 11 seasons are not all of his years as head coach. But there is a significant difference for those 11 and all of his other seasons. (That should help! )

John Fox?
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Not Fox, or any other mentioned so far.

Billy B without Brady?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Billy B without Brady?
    Yup! Five years in Cleveland, 2000 when Brady didn't play, 2008 when Brady missed the season injured and 4 years since Brady left. That's a whole lot of seasons, a whole lot of games and a whole lot of mediocrity.

There are rumors that one or more teams are interested in TRADING for Belichick. The coach they will get is the one who has coached those 11 mediocre seasons, not the 6xSB Champ, unless they can convince Brady to unretire again!

Just goes to show that the best way to be a great coach is to have a HoF quarterback.

Feels like you're doing a little cherry picking on the years, but I agree with your point overall: if you're a competent coach and you have a HoF level QB, you should have longevity and be well regarded.

I'll go farther and say I think BB is a very good coach, especially defensively, and he has some smart approaches to use of players. I think he has some quirks that work against him, his being the de facto GM among them - he's got some real head scratcher picks.
    In a vacuum, I wouldn't want a coach who averaged about 7 wins a season to be the new HC of my team.

Trading for Belichick would be crazy, and I could see the CAR owner doing it. That guy is not football smart.

Well having a crappy QB doesn’t help him. He’s good.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    Feels like you're doing a little cherry picking on the years, but I agree with your point overall: if you're a competent coach and you have a HoF level QB, you should have longevity and be well regarded.

I'll go farther and say I think BB is a very good coach, especially defensively, and he has some smart approaches to use of players. I think he has some quirks that work against him, his being the de facto GM among them - he's got some real head scratcher picks.
    In a vacuum, I wouldn't want a coach who averaged about 7 wins a season to be the new HC of my team.

Trading for Belichick would be crazy, and I could see the CAR owner doing it. That guy is not football smart.
    Not cherry picking at all. I included every single year that he didn't have Brady as his starting QB. If I wanted to cherry pick, I could have included just the pre-Brady and post-Brady years, excluding 2008 when Brady was injured. BB would have looked even worse then.

In six years before Brady became his starter, he was a combined 41-55 at Cleveland and NE. That would get most coaches fired.

In the four seasons after Brady, so far he is 27-34. Most teams would move on after four years of that, too.

The Brady years were magical. The other 11 years, very ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by RashanGary View Post
    Well having a crappy QB doesn’t help him. He’s good.
    In Cleveland he had Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde for most of the games, with a few by Mark Rypien and Mike Tomczak. Record of 36-44 with one winning season.

In 2000 in NE, Drew Bledsoe was his starter. He finished 5-11.

Not sure I can blame 6 seasons at 41-55 on crappy QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Yup! Five years in Cleveland, 2000 when Brady didn't play, 2008 when Brady missed the season injured and 4 years since Brady left. That's a whole lot of seasons, a whole lot of games and a whole lot of mediocrity.

There are rumors that one or more teams are interested in TRADING for Belichick. The coach they will get is the one who has coached those 11 mediocre seasons, not the 6xSB Champ, unless they can convince Brady to unretire again!

Just goes to show that the best way to be a great coach is to have a HoF quarterback.
    I have made this point several times as I don't consider hoody the "GOAT". I can think of a lot of coaches I think are better. I don't ignore the Brady years, but I don't pretend its the whole story either. I attended a couple of his games while he was with Cleveland....tire fire comes to mind.

I really can't imagine why anyone would hire Belichik at this point. Which means an organization like Carolina will probably go chasing him.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I have made this point several times as I don't consider hoody the "GOAT". I can think of a lot of coaches I think are better. I don't ignore the Brady years, but I don't pretend its the whole story either. I attended a couple of his games while he was with Cleveland....tire fire comes to mind.
    Like you, I've never been a big fan. When NE hired him, my first thought was, "Really??" Then, the various scandals, questionable actions, etc. Have to give him credit for the Brady years, but.....

Blog Entries
    Yeaqh, I think BB's legacy is Brady's legacy and it looks diminished for BB at this point. On Big Bill's next home, I see a lot of speculation for Carolina and a little for San Diego.

I'd think SD would have a lot of appeal for Belichick. Solid QB, good pieces on D that need organization, cool place to live, cooler to be retired in, etc.

You'd think Kraft will try to get as much as he can for BB.

What can he get?

Magic 8 ball says Unclear at this time.