Thread: Analysis: The Fangio Defense

Analysis: The Fangio Defense

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathl...lysis/%3famp=1

Breaking down the Fangio Defense.

It is a good read and gives some insight into why MLF wants that defense.

I guess Joe Barry is considered a disciple of Fangio hahahaha. I don't remember those Bear defenses under Fangio or anybody else for that matter using D Linemen basically to block like O Linemen to allow ILBs space to make tackles on run plays. I also don't recall Fangio Bear Ds using those ILBs as the primary coverage people in the short middle zone. I do recall Fangio D going all out for pass rush, often getting beat by smart and/or mobile QBs like Rodgers (or DeVito or Mayfield hahahaha). On that last one, I guess you could say Barry does do it like Fangio, but that's not a selling point.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    II also don't recall Fangio Bear Ds using those ILBs as the primary coverage people in the short middle zone..
    I can't argue with the rest, but that sounds a lot like what they used Urlacher for.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

True, but Urlacher was gone long before Fangio came along (2015-2019) for the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I guess Joe Barry is considered a disciple of Fangio hahahaha. I don't remember those Bear defenses under Fangio or anybody else for that matter using D Linemen basically to block like O Linemen to allow ILBs space to make tackles on run plays. I also don't recall Fangio Bear Ds using those ILBs as the primary coverage people in the short middle zone. I do recall Fangio D going all out for pass rush, often getting beat by smart and/or mobile QBs like Rodgers (or DeVito or Mayfield hahahaha). On that last one, I guess you could say Barry does do it like Fangio, but that's not a selling point.
    Jesus had disciples, too. Some were worse than others. If Vic Fangio invited his to supper, the family photo would show Joe Barely sitting at the edge of the kids’ table.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathl...lysis/%3famp=1

Breaking down the Fangio Defense.

It is a good read and gives some insight into why MLF wants that defense.
    That article should be thrown in the Garbage Can if you know what I mean.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Jesus had disciples, too. Some were worse than others. If Vic Fangio invited his to supper, the family photo would show Joe Barely sitting at the edge of the kids’ table.
    Someone posted stats on twitter this past week stats on how DC's running the Fangio defense are doing this year. The only one doing really well is Fangio.

Found It:

Wendell Ferreira
    @wendellfp
    Fangio-style defenses by DVOA:

Dolphins: 13th
    Rams: 21st
    Eagles: 22nd
    Panthers: 27th
    Chargers: 28th
    Packers: 29th

If your scheme needs a combination of Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald or Fangio himself to succeed, I bring you some bad news.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 12-20-2023 at 08:30 AM.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Shutdown Corner Rat HOFer Anti-Polar Bear's Avatar
    Where the duck is Nutz? I think he’s defensive coordinator for an all-white suburban Wisconsin high school.

I’d like to ask him about the “pistol force” and why defensive coaches refuse to take out inside linebackers are obvious passing downs. There are rare exceptions but inside linebackers are usually slow and can’t cover. Having an inside linebacker in on an obvious passing down is just asking to be exploited.

On Madden, my “nickel” consists of Gary Ligtbody, Wyatt, Cletidus and Vanilla Ice in the trenches. The DBs are J-Alex, Stokes, Nixon, Savage and Ford. The “linebackers” are Owens and Zayne Anderson.

My “dime” consists of all of the above except sub Clark and Wyatt for P-Smith and Enagbare, and sub Anderson for Valentine.

I am allowing less than 12 points a game against online opponents while blitzing on 82% of the downs.
    I'm not going to stop the wheel. I'm going to break the wheel.

Joe Barry is actually a Tampa-2 Marinelli guy.

He's landed with teams like the LAR who were running the Fangio scheme and is basically being told by MLF to run it. This scheme is handpicked by MLF.
    I don't think it comes naturally to Barry. I also think Barry is one of those "Peter Principle" hires -- probably a good ILB coach but not a good DC.

Any pro coach who can qualify for a DC job can copy and run a scheme. IIRC there are (chunks of) old Fangio playbooks out in the Interwebs. I think you have to have a deeper understanding of the concepts, and also firm grasp on the finer points of it (e.g., why DBs have to line up at exactly X yards, etc.) in order to make it work.

There's also the fact that anytime a defense appears to be successful, it gets copied by other teams, and also deconstructed by offensive minds in the offseason. The Fangio defense is not doing as well this year because teams are starting to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Polar Bear View Post
    Where the duck is Nutz? I think he’s defensive coordinator for an all-white suburban Wisconsin high school.

I’d like to ask him about the “pistol force” and why defensive coaches refuse to take out inside linebackers are obvious passing downs. There are rare exceptions but inside linebackers are usually slow and can’t cover. Having an inside linebacker in on an obvious passing down is just asking to be exploited.

On Madden, my “nickel” consists of Gary Ligtbody, Wyatt, Cletidus and Vanilla Ice in the trenches. The DBs are J-Alex, Stokes, Nixon, Savage and Ford. The “linebackers” are Owens and Zayne Anderson.

My “dime” consists of all of the above except sub Clark and Wyatt for P-Smith and Enagbare, and sub Anderson for Valentine.

I am allowing less than 12 points a game against online opponents while blitzing on 82% of the downs.
    You're running a pressure defense with a blitz rate higher than anything done in the NFL currently. Very risky, especially if your job depends on it. Still, I kind of like it.
    There's some talk that the pendulum will swing away from zone coverage that forces long drives down the field back to pressure defenses.

I agree playing 2 ILBs in nickel on a 3rd and 12 is iffy -- I'd think you'd want speed and coverage ability on the field.

The danger of taking your backers off the field is something like a screen where they can get 250-300 pound blockers on your 200 pound CBs. That's a mismatch. Still, I'd think you'd play more dime than nickel in those situations. Barry likes nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    There's also the fact that anytime a defense appears to be successful, it gets copied by other teams, and also deconstructed by offensive minds in the offseason. The Fangio defense is not doing as well this year because teams are starting to figure it out.
    Some people also think part of the problem is that college football isn't producing the kind of ILB's who can cover to make the system work. Packers had that with Campbell in 2021, but he's not that guy now. They drafted Walker hoping he would be that guy.

Fangio had Urlacher and Briggs playing for the Bears, those guys could and did cover. They also made a lot of tackles. Can you name the DL from those teams without Googling?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Some people also think part of the problem is that college football isn't producing the kind of ILB's who can cover to make the system work. Packers had that with Campbell in 2021, but he's not that guy now. They drafted Walker hoping he would be that guy.
    They aren't producing a lot of good DL anymore either. Run defense is going to be a problem for teams, I think you'll see a (minor) revival of RBs and running games as a result.
    If you can get 7ypc, why not mash a defense down the field. It's 6 minutes and 11 plays... right up MLF's alley.

Fangio had Urlacher and Briggs playing for the Bears, those guys could and did cover. They also made a lot of tackles. Can you name the DL from those teams without Googling?
    Wasn’t Peppers on some of those teams? And a Tommy Harris I believe, and I thought they had a fat guy named pat or something
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I thought so too until I looked it up. Urlacher and Briggs were during the years Lovie Smith was the HC with the Bears. Fangio came a few years later.

Urlacher left 3 years before Fangio got to the Bears and Briggs left 1 year before. I'm pretty sure Akeem Hicks was one of those DL.

You're running a pressure defense with a blitz rate higher than anything done in the NFL currently. Very risky, especially if your job depends on it. Still, I kind of like it.
    There's some talk that the pendulum will swing away from zone coverage that forces long drives down the field back to pressure defenses.

I agree playing 2 ILBs in nickel on a 3rd and 12 is iffy -- I'd think you'd want speed and coverage ability on the field.

The danger of taking your backers off the field is something like a screen where they can get 250-300 pound blockers on your 200 pound CBs. That's a mismatch. Still, I'd think you'd play more dime than nickel in those situations. Barry likes nickel.
    Good analysis of APB's Madden D. I never played Madden, but since it's just regular people playing mostly, I suspect they pass at a higher rate than the real NFL - hence the reason for APB's Madden success. I suspect he also benefits from having Jaire, Stokes, and Savage healthy and playing the way they are supposed to play in the Madden game.

In the real world, though, it's even more iffy having ILBs who can't cover guarding the short middle zone or worse yet, manning up with a WR or even a quality TE.

Assuming you're correct about LaFleur demanding Barry play that semi-Fangio scheme, it appears we're sort of stuck with the same thing even if we get a new guy. The even bigger problem with Barry, though, is his apparent inability to adjust. Hopefully we get somebody better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Someone posted stats on twitter this past week stats on how DC's running the Fangio defense are doing this year. The only one doing really well is Fangio.

Found It:
    And this is what I said somewhere else. Some guys see things and understand them, others mimic success while not understanding why it was successful. If I told you that the key to a roulette payout was the bet minus 10%, that's easy to memorize. If you looked at the odds and understood the algebra behind it you would have an understanding.

Fangio understands defense. Barry memorizes concepts.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.